Author Topic: SheBelieves Cup 2018  (Read 670 times)

Offline the-lone-voyageur

• View Profile
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:31:15 PM by the-lone-voyageur »

• View Profile
Re: SheBelieves Cup 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:30:06 PM »
 The USWNT name a 26 player preliminary roster to be trimmed to 23 players at the end of a training camp: 

U.S. women’s national team roster by position (caps/goals):

GOALKEEPERS: Jane Campbell (Houston Dash; 2/0), Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride; 14/0), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars; 24/0)

DEFENDERS: Abby Dahlkemper (NC Courage; 14/0), Tierna Davidson (Stanford; 1/0), Sofia Huerta (Chicago Red Stars; 3/0), Hailie Mace (UCLA; 0/0), Kelley O’Hara (Utah Royals FC; 105/2), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars; 19/0), Taylor Smith (Washington Spirit; 8/0), Emily Sonnett (Sydney FC, AUS/Portland Thorns FC; 13/0)

MIDFIELDERS: Morgan Brian (Olympique Lyon, FRA; 69/6), Julie Ertz (Chicago Red Stars; 58/15), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC; 44/4), Rose Lavelle (Washington Spirit; 7/2), Carli Lloyd (Sky Blue FC; 247/98), Allie Long (Seattle Reign FC; 33/6), Andi Sullivan (Washington Spirit; 8/0)

FORWARDS: Crystal Dunn (Chelsea FC, ENG/NC Courage; 58/23), Ashley Hatch (Melbourne City FC, AUS/Washington Spirit; 1/0), Savannah McCaskill (Sky Blue FC; 1/0), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride; 135/81), Christen Press (Houston Dash; 97/44), Mallory Pugh (Washington Spirit; 30/8), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign FC; 130/34), Lynn Williams (NC Courage; 16/4)

http://www.nwslsoccer.com/news#jill-ellis-names-preliminary-roster-for-shebelieves-cup

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 01:32:36 PM »
One thing this does show is how many of our players are playing abroad, which is something I would love to see in the men’s game as well

As a Reading fan, I am a little surprise to see two Reading players dropped. Jade Moore has been out injured, but is now back and was short-listed for last year’s England player of the year, so I would have expected her to be in and Jo Potter has been bang in form this season and probably our star player! She has been playing in defence and has been calmness personified!

That’s the beauty of international football though – Squads are all about opinion and of course, only one opinion really counts and that is the opinion of Phillip Neville.

Fingers crossed for the girls in this tourny
BUZZ BEE
If at first you don't succeed... cheat!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 05:31:22 PM »
I think all three of England's keepers are still playing relatively well. That said, Chamberlain and Bardsley are in their mid thirties and Telford is in her early thirties. At what point is age a concern  and when is the best time to address it?

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »
[ 1 ]  Reading a lot of angst and anger directed at Diacre ( the manager for Les Bleues ) for her She Believes roster selection -- a lot of unhappiness about specific player omissions.  And lots of  doom and gloom about France's prospects in the 2018 She Believes Cup and the 2019 WWC France.  It's worth noting that France  has six results and only one  loss in their last seven  fixtures! Additionally,  when one removes the bad loss to Germany (Nov 2017)  , France have only conceded 3 goals out of  6 fixtures.  It's not all bad news here, France are defending well and generally keeping the ball out of the net.

[ 2 ] Given that the French women's national team have an unfortunate  reputation for folding under pressure, it's a little bit interesting that  France are  hosting next year's WWC  where the pressure of playing at home in front of friends and family could be higher than anything that they have ever experienced before!

[ 3 ]  If French central defender Laura Georges starts for France in the She Believes opener, then England shoud have a go at her ( over her, around her, through  her, behind her-- whatever ). Laura Georges is old , slow and vunerable.

Cabbages

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 06:37:28 PM »
Chamberlain is Number 1 for me - all day long-

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 07:51:42 PM »
Chris Henderson, an American podcaster,  provides some inSTAT data w/ comments about England players  via a series of tweets:

- Newly recalled England CB Anita Asante's stats in 2-2 draw vs Man City on Saturday:
88% actions successful
88% passes completed
2 key passes
76% challenges won
5/5 aerial challenges won
4/4 tackles won
15 ball recoveries

-England have been hit by the absence of Steph Houghton, Jordan Nobbs, and Karen Carney, forcing some late call-ups/replacements.
-In goal, Siobhan Chamberlain has featured most recently over Karen Bardsley, but the pair's form according to inStat has been pretty even.

-On the backline, England face major questions at center-back. Millie Bright, in strong form over the past year looks to fill one spot, but Neville likely chooses between recent recall Anita Asante and the relatively unproven Gabrielle George & Abbie McManus for the other slot.

-There are fewer worries out wide, where right-back Lucy Bronze is one of the world's best, while Neville can choose between Alex Greenwood and Demi Stokes to fill the other spot, both strong options.

-In midfield, Jill Scott looks a sure option on form, with Isobel Christiansen and Keira Walsh also having impressed over the last calendar year. Young marvel Georgia Stanway is one to watch, but there are concerns over Fara Williams' declining form.

-Up top, England are spoilt for choice, with Toni Duggan, Fran Kirby, and Nikita Parris having impressed the past year. NWSL'ers Rachel Daly and Jodie Taylor are fine options in depth.

-Summing it up for England? With major hits in depth and a new manager, they look the least of a strong SBC field.
They look likeliest for the bottom of the table but have enough quality up top to pull a surprise.

-Here's some key inStat numbers for England:

Top Rated Overall for 2017-18:
1. Lucy Bronze
2. Alex Greenwood
3. Toni Duggan
4. Fran Kirby
5. Nikita Parris

-Most successful total actions:

88% - Anita Asante

Highest Pass Completion:

89% - Asante

Most Key Passes Per Game:

1.50 - Alex Greenwood

Highest Cross % by a Wide Player:

37% - Nikita Parris

Highest Challenge %

77% - Millie Bright

-And finally, Highest Aerial Challenge %

79% - Millie Bright

79%!!!

Cabbages

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 08:51:00 PM »
Its all about percentages- Neville has 0% chance of winning this tournament

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 01:58:32 PM »
[ 1 ]  Reading a lot of angst and anger directed at Diacre ( the manager for Les Bleues ) for her She Believes roster selection -- a lot of unhappiness about specific player omissions.  And lots of  doom and gloom about France's prospects in the 2018 She Believes Cup and the 2019 WWC France.  It's worth noting that France  has six results and only one  loss in their last seven  fixtures! Additionally,  when one removes the bad loss to Germany (Nov 2017)  , France have only conceded 3 goals out of  6 fixtures.  It's not all bad news here, France are defending well and generally keeping the ball out of the net.

[ 2 ] Given that the French women's national team have an unfortunate  reputation for folding under pressure, it's a little bit interesting that  France are  hosting next year's WWC  where the pressure of playing at home in front of friends and family could be higher than anything that they have ever experienced before!

[ 3 ]  If French central defender Laura Georges starts for France in the She Believes opener, then England shoud have a go at her ( over her, around her, through  her, behind her-- whatever ). Laura Georges is old , slow and vunerable.
The French fans always moan when their favourite players are not selected, it is club team driven...

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 03:48:01 PM »
Chris Henderson, an American podcaster,  provides some inSTAT data w/ comments about England players  via a series of tweets:

- Newly recalled England CB Anita Asante's stats in 2-2 draw vs Man City on Saturday:
88% actions successful
88% passes completed
2 key passes
76% challenges won
5/5 aerial challenges won
4/4 tackles won
15 ball recoveries

-England have been hit by the absence of Steph Houghton, Jordan Nobbs, and Karen Carney, forcing some late call-ups/replacements.
-In goal, Siobhan Chamberlain has featured most recently over Karen Bardsley, but the pair's form according to inStat has been pretty even.

-On the backline, England face major questions at center-back. Millie Bright, in strong form over the past year looks to fill one spot, but Neville likely chooses between recent recall Anita Asante and the relatively unproven Gabrielle George & Abbie McManus for the other slot.

-There are fewer worries out wide, where right-back Lucy Bronze is one of the world's best, while Neville can choose between Alex Greenwood and Demi Stokes to fill the other spot, both strong options.

-In midfield, Jill Scott looks a sure option on form, with Isobel Christiansen and Keira Walsh also having impressed over the last calendar year. Young marvel Georgia Stanway is one to watch, but there are concerns over Fara Williams' declining form.

-Up top, England are spoilt for choice, with Toni Duggan, Fran Kirby, and Nikita Parris having impressed the past year. NWSL'ers Rachel Daly and Jodie Taylor are fine options in depth.

-Summing it up for England? With major hits in depth and a new manager, they look the least of a strong SBC field.
They look likeliest for the bottom of the table but have enough quality up top to pull a surprise.

-Here's some key inStat numbers for England:

Top Rated Overall for 2017-18:
1. Lucy Bronze
2. Alex Greenwood
3. Toni Duggan
4. Fran Kirby
5. Nikita Parris

-Most successful total actions:

88% - Anita Asante

Highest Pass Completion:

89% - Asante

Most Key Passes Per Game:

1.50 - Alex Greenwood

Highest Cross % by a Wide Player:

37% - Nikita Parris

Highest Challenge %

77% - Millie Bright

-And finally, Highest Aerial Challenge %

79% - Millie Bright

79%!!!

Number of Parris dive per game ?

Cabbages

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 04:47:30 PM »
 :) :) :)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 03:24:59 AM »
" What is the object of the game of football? To run into the box and fall over." -- A Bit of Fry and Laurie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 03:29:20 AM »
The 2018  SheBelieves opener:   England  4 - 1 France.   The French center backs ( Georges and Mbock ) were bit of a horror show for France out there.

Cabbages

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 09:00:53 AM »
Never saw that coming- wont be so easy in the other games

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 12:42:58 PM »
I actually thought Johnathan Pearce was being a little harsh on the French in the first half! After our first goal, I thought the French reacted very well and had the better of the play through to half time, but we just had the better of the dual between our forwards and their defence. When we did get he ball forward, we looked very dangerous!

Were France poor? It really is tough to tell, because Football is a battle between two competitors – Our performance will affect their performance and theirs ours, so we will only really know if they were poor when each team plays Germany and the USA.

In the first half in particular, our forwards were superb! Kirby was pulling the strings and, as happened in the Euros, she, Parish, Duggan and Taylor all looked like they would score whenever they got half a sight of goal. It may well be that the French defenders were just ‘comparatively’ poor against a world class forward line

It wasn’t all positive though IMHO. Millie Bright defended OK, but in the second half in particular, couldn’t pass the ball! I am not convinced that Abbey McManus is international standard and Ellen White (Who I am a big fan of) had a nightmare when she came on! On the plus side, the forwards, as I mentioned were excellent, the full backs both played well and I think Kiera Walsh is already approaching world class and still improving!

I am not too concerned about the complacency we seemed to show in the second half. The only time that would creep in against Germany or the USA is if we are comfortably beating them as well. If so, I’ll accept that quite happily :)

Phillip Neville has divided opinion generally and on this forum, but I think he will prove to be a good appointment and am right behind him! This is a better start than expected. They will go into the next two games with added confidence. A win against either would be a shock, but they are capable! If hey win either, you would have to say that Neville has had an excellent start!
BUZZ BEE
If at first you don't succeed... cheat!

Cabbages

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 04:35:59 PM »
judge him at the end of the tournament,if he achieves anything better thsn Samson and if he wins a major trophy- until then, I am not for him in any way shape or form -

Offline ILoveIzzy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 03:02:28 PM »
One thing this does show is how many of our players are playing abroad, which is something I would love to see in the men’s game as well

As a Reading fan, I am a little surprise to see two Reading players dropped. Jade Moore has been out injured, but is now back and was short-listed for last year’s England player of the year, so I would have expected her to be in and Jo Potter has been bang in form this season and probably our star player! She has been playing in defence and has been calmness personified!

That’s the beauty of international football though – Squads are all about opinion and of course, only one opinion really counts and that is the opinion of Phillip Neville.

Fingers crossed for the girls in this tourny

I did think it was a bit curious that Jo Potter especially wasn't selected. In general though, I think Neville's selections were excellent! Think he should have played Izzy Christiansen more though, especially in the absence of Jordan Nobbs. Moore... yes maybe, I was pretty critical of Walsh's selection (and that of Abbie McManus).