Author Topic: 16up  (Read 611 times)

Offline croc

• View Profile
16up
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:17:46 PM »
From personal experiences what would people recommend for a player wanting to carry on improving but not aiming at getting into the paid ranks.   

Options likely to be decent u18 side in strong u18 league (warwickshire),  Development/reserve side in WPL development division, first team in county or regional league team? 

Offline Welsh May

• View Profile
Re: 16up
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 02:42:47 PM »
I think it really depends on your daughter. Last year when players from the RTC moved on. Some went locally to the WPL team. Those (I really think this is the key) were extremely fit and made the first team. Others who did not fit the 'mould' for their position and were not fit enough didn't. Bit of to-ing an fro-ing but generally the rtc girls are in the reserves. Other players decided to try others less popular teams and have found their niche and place in poorer WPL teams. So it depends. Some chose WSL and have had mixed results but all are in the devt squads even though have England and England camp experience. Depends on the quality of the first team. The exceptional players make the first teams at WSL1 and the fit ones/play safe football, in WSL2 from my assessment. If your daughter wants match time and to be match fit she has to be willing to work hard and be spotted immediately, otherwise she may find herself benched or having a lesser experience. Then aim lower, she can develop from there. Senior football suits some but not others as it is physical and rough again back t being fit and ready. Personally I don't think u18s is what's needed unless you live in Warwickshire as it doesn't toughen em up enough. But you cannot just do one training session wherever you'll need to supplement if so. Trial more than one place. Whatever you are promised may not be what happens, and definitely players are taken on as fillers and to avoid them going elsewhere but most coaches I think know who they're going to have as the starting line up whatever they say. I personally think match time matters and being game fit. If you sit on the bench you may be fit but not match fit ............ so aim lower and develop, there's plenty of time and don't rush to be in WSL1. Having said all that there is no question that any player with an England tag of any type gets precedence over others however good they are? I am so glad Jodie Taylor is older and finding her flow .... a great incentive to any young player ............... there's time if they want it enough?.

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:24:31 AM »
Hi thanks.  Yes it's for a few players I coach, I don't think any would be good enough to look at wsl reserve sides or even top WPl reserve sides but straight away either due to fitness or confidence/experience but potentially they could go a bit further with the right environment.   

I guess I'm asking if WPL reserve leagues are of a standard to make them worth going for over say Warwickshire u18s or a senior womens team at say regional level?  For players who want to improve and take it seriously but aren't looking on making it a career. 

Offline Bananas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:07:22 AM »
There was lots of talk earlier in the year about the RTCs creating an u18 age group. I assume this isn’t happening, so just wondering how WSL1 clubs are fulfilling the requirement to have u20s academies?  It would be useful to hear from parents of girls in those clubs. At my daughter’s club, I don’t see much change, except to add a full day of training (day release from school).

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »
There seem to be a lot of colleges doing post 16 courses with football integral to it, I think playing in some kind of national league?   I was at a league meeting the other week where a Notts college made a presentation encouraging coaches to advertise their course to their best players. 

In a few years we are going to have a huge number of females (and probably lads too) with Btec sports qualifications and coaching badges.   I don't what kind of standard these teams will be, a few players I know going for it aren't outstanding but I suppose they need the numbers to make up the teams.  I'm sure it'll be a great way to spend a couple of years but I worry young people could be wasting te last two years they'll get free education on something which isn't going to get the vast majority a job. 

Offline Boot cleaner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 01:22:11 PM »
We looked at one of the colleges offering the BTEC earlier this year.

Football looked good and there was a tie up with a WSL academy but the academic side appeared weak.  It was also clear that the boys on the equivalent course weren't going to be the most inspiring of college students.  In the end we decided it wasn't the right option so we would stick with the current school and work on other football options.

The U18 issue is also interesting. I am sure that it has been mentioned before but there aren't that many options between the U16 squad and first team place.

There are some good U18 sides in our area but the league has I think the common problem of having one or two sides (with ex-RTC and RTC level players) being in a different class to the other teams. This means most of the games are not competitive enough and some teams decide to cancel fixtures to avoid a thrashing.

There is also the problem that some clubs run reserves, development teams and U18 teams and others only reserves.  I know of one London team that has decided to axe its U18 and development squad for next year so you can imagine the competition for places that is going to be facing an U16 player at that club.

On top of that you have the clubs who are only interested in the first team and only have the other teams to bring in as much funding as possible.  Support for the other senior teams is therefore non-existent with the best players being poached as and when it suits the first team.

Sad to say women's football still has a long, long way to go in terms of professionalism, depth and ethical behaviour.