Author Topic: PHIL NEVILLE - England Manager?  (Read 480 times)

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
PHIL NEVILLE - England Manager?
« on: January 12, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »
The Telegraph is reporting that Phil Neville is a leading candidate for the England job. What do people think of this?

I think it would be a decent appointment. Above all, I think it would be good for publicity, but I also think he would make a good coach

Linky-Linky
BUZZ BEE
If at first you don't succeed... cheat!

Offline croc

• View Profile
Re: PHIL NEVILLE - England Manager?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 10:57:06 PM »
So there is a shortage of qualified women but Phil Neville is qualified ?    Sorry but that is absolute bullxxxx.   Maybe I should put my hat in the ring at least I've managed a team!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:04:35 AM by Admin »

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 10:30:39 AM »
It now looks like Neville will get the job

He lacks coaching experience, but despite this, I think he will be a good appointment! I think he has good knowledge, communicates well and I think players will really like him and want to perform for him. He will also help raise the profile of the national team and in turn the womens game

Mo has a wealth of experience by comparison, so I don't know why, but I feel we will move forward more under Neville than we would under Mo. I think Mo would be good enough to keep the team at the high level they are at, but I think Neville will take the team on even further

I hope that mo is retained as part of the set up. If she really wanted the job and was not selected, I just hope that she doesn't choose to leave

Neville's appointment won't be universally popular, but I will be right behind him and wishing him every success
BUZZ BEE

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 11:26:36 AM »
From his TV persona I like the guy but we were told there weren't many if any women qualified for the job, it now turns out qualified means a high media profile. 

I'll back him if and only if he can get them playing good football, by which I mean football which is both attractive and successful.   Most of the womens games I watch from WSl to grass roots to RTC and County youth games are direct football - there are exceptions but if the game is to grow it needs to be worth watching.   

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 12:34:01 AM »
Never been a head coach, never coached a women's team, never worked with women.

Who in their right mind would call that the best choice?

Cabbages

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 06:37:48 PM »
he doesnt fit the FA”s own job description and this smacks of desperation - we can assume that no one else applied and they approached himhttp://jobs.thefa.com/jobs_apply/vacancies/1242/england_womens_senior_head_coach/

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 11:45:25 AM »
Whether people agree or not with the appointment, he has the job now, so I think we should just get behind him
BUZZ BEE

Cabbages

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 12:12:52 PM »
He's not for me buzzer- its a desperate appointment- how can they justify giving him the job when you look at the JD against his CV even if you disregard the sexist remarks.....I wont be supporting him at all.

Offline the-lone-voyageur

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 05:11:48 PM »
[ 1 ]The hiring is definitely sexist and smacks of old boy stuff -- that weak resumes can attain high positions by networking with the right people.

[ 2 ] Perhaps the FA wanted a puppet that they could micromanage from above. Spending on women's football is  increasing and  the FA are anxious to get a return on their investment. And I'm sure they would like to prevent any more Sampson-like scandals. Maybe the job now comes with more scrutiny and oversight. It could explain why qualified experienced candidates like Harvey, Cushing and Herdman  all dropped out ;  they would all get  less autonomy and control that they're accustomed to.

[ 3 ] England are three in world and their talent pool is mostly professional. Even with  Phil Neville , England are going to accumulate good results. Neville should avoid making numerous sweeping changes. Just minor tweaks/improvements to what Sampson did. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 05:13:06 PM »
He won't face any charges is the Breaking News on the BBC website just now

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 10:04:58 PM »
At least this appointment, and the news stories that have emerged today around it are great material for keeping a discussion forum going.

Cabbages

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 08:43:49 AM »
At least this appointment, and the news stories that have emerged today around it are great material for keeping a discussion forum going.

We might even get into double figures of posters on this one...

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 11:46:34 AM »
I guess we’re all wired differently! I am a fan of Women’s football and of the national team. Whether I agree with an appointment or not, once it is made, I get behind the manager. The only exception would be if the job had gone to someone who had done something particularly bad in the past, such as sexual assault, paedophilia etc…

Playing for Man United is pretty close to that IMHO, but falls just below :)

His tweets in the past, if they were said in a serious way, would cause me to really oppose his appointment, but they were clearly in jest and I don’t see him as someone who has sexist views towards women. Quite the contrary in fact – I think he will put his heart and soul into doing all he can to improve and promote the image of Women’s football

My view of him also changed when I watched the class of 92. He came across very well in that! I always thought of him as the downtrodden little brother, but he came out of that looking far smarter and more intelligent than I thought

Regarding his CV, this is his first full time job as a head coach. However, it is not his first coaching role. He has played and coached under some of the best managers/coaches in the world, has coached in the premier league and La Liga and at U21 international level.

For the sake of the England team and for women’s football, I think we should be behind WHOVER is in the job and whichever players are in the team
BUZZ BEE

Cabbages

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »
I guess we’re all wired differently! I am a fan of Women’s football and of the national team. Whether I agree with an appointment or not, once it is made, I get behind the manager. The only exception would be if the job had gone to someone who had done something particularly bad in the past, such as sexual assault, paedophilia etc…

Playing for Man United is pretty close to that IMHO, but falls just below :)

His tweets in the past, if they were said in a serious way, would cause me to really oppose his appointment, but they were clearly in jest and I don’t see him as someone who has sexist views towards women. Quite the contrary in fact – I think he will put his heart and soul into doing all he can to improve and promote the image of Women’s football

My view of him also changed when I watched the class of 92. He came across very well in that! I always thought of him as the downtrodden little brother, but he came out of that looking far smarter and more intelligent than I thought

Regarding his CV, this is his first full time job as a head coach. However, it is not his first coaching role. He has played and coached under some of the best managers/coaches in the world, has coached in the premier league and La Liga and at U21 international level.

For the sake of the England team and for women’s football, I think we should be behind WHOVER is in the job and whichever players are in the team

coaching is far different from managing and having worked with top managers does not necessarily mean you will be as good- just look at Kidd at Blackburn for example and there are many other examples of players being coached by the best but not making it as a manager.

the tweet thing aside, there would be just as much opposition to Neville as there is now due to his lack of experience and being unable to meet the criteria set out by the FA for the role. We now now he didnt apply and was approached when it became clear that all their other preferred candidates ruled themslelves out.

And no, I dont believe we should all support him just because he got the job-  anyone is free to choose if they do or dont but I will not be attending any more England matches while he is in charge.

Cabbages

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 06:37:30 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42824232

if they had no skeletons they had nothing to worry about-

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 11:01:32 AM »
but I will not be attending any more England matches while he is in charge.
I accept that this is your choice. As I say, everyone is wired differently. I can’t imagine myself refusing to watch England, because I don’t think they appointed the right manager
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42824232

if they had no skeletons they had nothing to worry about-
I suspect most considered themselves to have no skeletons, but are well aware that people will try to dig something up. Unfortunately, we live in a society where (Sometimes after a honeymoon period), there are people who are determined to cause trouble for anyone in a powerful position.

Neville is an example of course. He probably thought he had no skeletons, but someone had found tweets from years ago, that were meant as jokes, that he would have forgotten about within hours of tweeting them, but there are always people looking to find these things

If I were a manager, as much as I would love to manage England (Men or women), I would consider it a poisoned chalice. Managerial Reputations and careers (Mark Sampson, Steve McLaren, Graham Taylor for example) can be severely, perhaps even irreparably damaged

I don’t blame anyone for not wanting the job for that reason!
BUZZ BEE

Cabbages

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 01:44:32 PM »
You make some good points there Buzzer- and I agree about the whole poisoned chalice thing- we see it everytime with the England men's job. It is as if the press have an agreed strategy to let the incoming manager think that everyone loves them and will continue to love them no matter what- and then they all agree to hound the manager out- Bobby Robson and Graham Taylor spring to mind- their treatment was utterly disgusting and very gutter press.

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »
I saw a documentary, when Hoddle got the England job. At the end of the press conference where he was announced, they spoke to one of the reporters and he said that they had all agreed to give him a year, before they seedy out to get him! He was asked why he seemed so calm about the idea and he said, "That's my job! I'm a newspaper reporter. I'm paid to destroy people! It's what the public want!" Unfortunately, he's right! People want the press to do all they can to cause trouble and then criticise when we don't perform!

The England job, for Hope Powell, and initially for Mark Sampson, was pretty safe! Now, much is being done to raise the profile of women's football, with the national team being a key part of that drive, so the press are now becoming interested and unfortunately, you can't ONLY get them interested in a good way. You're effectively doing a deal with the devil!

For someone like Mo Marley for instance, she's done well at what she's done, but she's never been in the spotlight to the same extent, so may well (I don't know this for sure) have said no, because of the non-football related stress involved!
BUZZ BEE

Cabbages

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 05:22:24 PM »
Well buzzer- at least me and you are giving this forum a go but for how long?