Author Topic: Future of the forum again  (Read 2341 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Future of the forum again
« on: December 17, 2017, 02:36:36 AM »
I started this site in December 2006 to try and offer some support to the sport and a place for people to talk about the sport and have run it at my cost ever since...There are no ads and I receive no income for running it out of my own time and money.

So I am trying to determine if there is still interest and a need for the forum ...Has everyone moved on to Facebook and Twitter etc and there is no demand for the site anymore and I can can get some of my time and money spend back lol ;-)

Let me know what you think

Regards

David

Offline croc

• View Profile
Re: Future of the forum again
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 12:46:50 PM »
You could try and redesign the forum, maybe have 3 or 4 sub forums instead of dozens.   

Why not youth football, league football, international football, anything else.  Ideally it would be linked to a wider website on womens football with articles etc.   

As it is though I'd say there is no point. 

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 01:14:38 PM »
I haven’t been here long, but it would be a shame to lose the forum. I am not aware of too many other places (On twitter or Facebook) for actual discussion on Women’s football. There are club sites and there may be places I am not aware of

I would like to see this forum stay open, but I would ask people that IF David chooses to close it (Please ONLY do this if David says he is closing. It would be unfair on him to do so if the forum is to continue), then please can people post details of where on social media, there are interesting places to discuss Women’s football

In the meantime though, I hope the forum continues and appreciate the hard work and expense that goes into running it. Thank you David
BUZZ BEE
If at first you don't succeed... cheat!

Cabbages

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
I dont do Facebook or Twitter and believe that the forum should stay but not if David is losing bags of money on it- how about allowing adverts to help towards costs. Not sure there is another forum that provides the same opportunity for people to discuss the Ladies game in quite the same way- it is not like a fanzone which is attached to one particular club.

I guess that the site is only as good as the people that contribute- Shekicks have one attached to their website but its a lame duck if you ask me. So, we either dig in and make this work for all concerned or we turn out the lights, shut the door and put the cat out with the milk bottles.

I am willing to give it a go but cant do it on me own.......

Offline the-lone-voyageur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 08:12:09 PM »
[ 1 ]  I enjoyed the fantasy football competitions in 2017: the Spring Series fantasy league & the Euro 2017 Predixit

[ 2 ] I think forums are better than facebook and twitter -- you can write longer and more expansively on a forum.

[ 3 ] There is reader interest in the  Womens Football Forum -- the guest number is  often a double digit number at any given time. Perhaps people a just shy about posting their thoughts.

Offline ILoveIzzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 06:53:07 PM »
Hi David,

Im new here but I really like that there is a place like this.

What I would expect to happen is that former players, current players, and others involved in the womens game, would pitch in - and invite others. Also, dont girls who play football have any interest in it?

It seems very strange, but as usual, Im baffled by the sentiment 'we need to grow the popularity of womens football' when those who say that make seemingly no investment whatsoever in that cause themselves.

Due to the still niche nature of the sport, could you tell me why those involved in it havent been promoting this forum?

And I dont use Facebook either, but maybe people from here have surrendered to it. Why would be totally beyond me

Cabbages

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 08:54:19 PM »
If the apoointment of that outstanding manager that is the hapless Neville does not stir any feeling or debate on here David- we might as well put the cat out with the milk bottles, turn the lights out and lock up  -

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 10:08:32 PM »
Sorry, only just noticed this. I completely agree Cabbages. :)

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
Would it not be worth trying a redesign first?   

Cabbages

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »
Would it not be worth trying a redesign first?

i dont believe that people dont post here cos they dont like the design...how many sited do you not go on because you dont like the design?

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 04:06:43 PM »
It looks like a disused forum because the majority of sections have no recent posts, fewer sections would mean each had more recent posts and it would at least look like people were using it which I suggest would be worth trying.  If nobody has posted on say Irish football for 2 years it's fair to suggest that the topic doesn't need its own subsection.

If forum design was irrelevant why would forums ever undergo redesigns?

Cabbages

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 05:11:01 PM »
If people posted more there were would not need to be loads of old posts - many sites get revamped for the sake of it and dont need tampering with- 

this site is only sd good as the people who make an effort to contribute not how pretty it looks-

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 07:21:21 PM »
If people posted more there would not be so many old posts, genius !   

Cabbages

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 08:28:41 PM »
we all know you know what i mean but this is a football site- lets hear more of what you have to say about ladies football-

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »
I kinda see what Croc is saying and maybe it’s not a bad idea. When looking at the top level forum, there are 5 sections, with 36 sub-forums. Of the 36 sub-forums on the front page, 24 have not been used at all in the past 3 months. Some forums haven’t been used in years.

As a newbie, this can have 2 effects – As Croc says, they could see some of those dates and think the forum isn’t really active and just click away before looking deeper. A newbie might also see 36 sub-forums and think it’s just too complicated, knowing where to post a particular topic. Simple is often good.

I like the design of the site. The look and feel are good IMHO and I wouldn't really want a change to this.

But maybe some sub-forums could be combined. For instance, the European Women’s football section has 6 sub-forums, none of which have been used in the past 4 months. There are also 3 sub-forums in World women’s football, which haven’t been used for 5 months. Perhaps, all 9 of these could go into one “Non UK Women’s Football” sub-forum?

How about the below for simplification?...
  • Announcements
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Support and suggestions
  • WSL1
  • WSL2
  • Non WSL UK Women’s Football
  • Non UK Women’s Football
  • International Women’s Football
  • Men’s Football
  • Off Topic
BUZZ BEE

Cabbages

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 01:40:22 PM »
I kinda see what Croc is saying and maybe it’s not a bad idea. When looking at the top level forum, there are 5 sections, with 36 sub-forums. Of the 36 sub-forums on the front page, 24 have not been used at all in the past 3 months. Some forums haven’t been used in years.

As a newbie, this can have 2 effects – As Croc says, they could see some of those dates and think the forum isn’t really active and just click away before looking deeper. A newbie might also see 36 sub-forums and think it’s just too complicated, knowing where to post a particular topic. Simple is often good.

I like the design of the site. The look and feel are good IMHO and I wouldn't really want a change to this.

But maybe some sub-forums could be combined. For instance, the European Women’s football section has 6 sub-forums, none of which have been used in the past 4 months. There are also 3 sub-forums in World women’s football, which haven’t been used for 5 months. Perhaps, all 9 of these could go into one “Non UK Women’s Football” sub-forum?

• Announcements
  • Introduce Yourself
  • WSL1
  • WSL2
  • Men’s Football
  • Off Topic

Hope you are not advocating that cheating is ever acceptable Buzzer.....

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 04:50:37 PM »

• Announcements
  • Introduce Yourself
  • WSL1
  • WSL2
  • Men’s Football
  • Off Topic

Hope you are not advocating that cheating is ever acceptable Buzzer.....
I've just read my post again, expecting to see a silly typo, but I'm not seeing it. The cheating comment has gone over my head :P
BUZZ BEE

Cabbages

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 05:18:52 PM »
oh dear buzzer- looks like you are overdue your appointment as Specsavers

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 05:37:45 PM »
I do agree on merging some of the boards and tried it on the smallest ones a while ago so the number now is less than it was. It took ages as each post needed to be moved individually and where there are hundreds/thousands it took absolutely ages. There were several moans on the community forum for the software that there must be a better way and on looking again tonight I see a post from 2014 where someone has suggested there is a quicker way using something hidden in one of the maintenance menu's.

I will give that a trial over the weekend and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else please feel free to chime in as well !

Offline the-lone-voyageur

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 02:48:17 AM »
Perhaps the word " Today"   ( which the forum uses to inform the reader that  a topic has new content )  could appear in a colour that stands out more ( like orange ).