Author Topic: 2006 FIFA World Player of the Year Contenders  (Read 1680 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2006 FIFA World Player of the Year Contenders
« on: December 08, 2006, 11:25:31 PM »
Iron Lilly, no wilting flower

With a playing career spanning three decades and just under 20 sparkling years, US captain Kristine Lilly is a legend in the annals of Planet Football. At 35 years of age and with an astonishing world-best record of 319 caps to her name, the American 'Iron-woman' - as Lilly is known to her fans and team-mates - has no plans of calling it a day any time soon.
Approaching her landmark 300th cap nearly one year ago, the rangy midfielder set the record straight in an interview with When asked how many more caps the then-34 year old had in her, her response wrapped up her philosophy toward the future in no uncertain terms. "I don't look at my future in caps, but rather in years. I, at least, want to play in one more World Cup in China in 2007. After that we'll see about it."

aving started every FIFA Women's World Cup and Olympic Women's Football Tournament match that the USA has ever participated in, she is every inch a beacon to the younger members of the US squad. Goal queen Wambach has even labelled her experienced team-mate her favourite player of all-time.
"She is the kind of player that in the closing minutes of a tight game, you want the ball at her feet. She is a game-changer and a tremendous player, our captain and a total team leader," said Wambach - whose strike rate is nothing short of astonishing with 57 goals in 75 caps.

"Lilly has experienced everything you can experience in women's soccer from the first Women's World Cup in 1991 and everything since. With her experience, tenacity and longevity, she is an inspiration and I can't speak highly enough of her as a player or a person."
With the sour taste of a FIFA Women's World Cup disappointment on home soil in 2003 still lingering, Lilly is looking for vindication in her fourth world finals next year in China. It may well be her curtain call on the world stage, but judging by her youthful attitude and unquenchable spirit, perhaps not.,1451,126507,00.html?articleid=126507