Author Topic: Birgit Prinz retiring  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Birgit Prinz retiring
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:40:04 AM »
Germany's best known woman footballer, Birgit Prinz (33), is retiring from football after seventeen years at the top in her country.  She announced her decision at a press conference on Friday.

"Football is one of my biggest passions, so it has been difficult for me to reach this decision", she said.  She holds a German record with 214 international caps and 128 goals.  Three times she has been voted the world's best player, and she has won the World Cup twice and the European Cup five times.  Three times she has been with Germany to win bronze in the Olympics.

Before the World Cup quarter-final last month Prinz was dropped from the German team that lost 0-1 to Japan after extra time.  Prinz said that had not affected her decision.  "I reached the decision after long and careful thought, not because of the World Cup", she said.

For her club, 1.FFC Frankfurt, Prinz can look back on nine league titles and ten Cup wins.  Eight times she has been Player of the Year in Germany, and she has been top scorer in the league four times.

Prinz debuted for Germany's international team at the age of 16 in 1994, when she was the matchwinner against Canada.  The next year she won her first big title with the European Cup, scoring in the 3-2 win over Sweden.  In the World Cup Final against Norway, also in 1995, Prinz became the youngest finalist in history (Norway won 2-0).

In the World Cup Prinz shares the most goals (14) with Brazilian star Marta.  In the Olympics she and Cristiane, also from Brazil, are the top scorers with ten goals each.

NTB http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article207190.ece

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:41:41 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
Re: Birgit Prinz retiring
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »
A thorn in England's side down the years, but a real legend of the women's game.

Good luck in the future Birgit!