Author Topic: CITY v Aston Villa  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Betty Blue

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 224
    • View Profile
CITY v Aston Villa
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:16:02 PM »
City 2 v 1 Aston Villa
Man City Ladies beat Aston Villa 2-1 to keep their unbeaten league record in the Northern Division 1 of the FA Women's Premier League.
Both teams started the game quickly and for the first few minutes the teams were well matched with most of the action taking place in the middle of the park. 10 minutes in City gained a corner and the ball was headed clear of the Villa area only to fall to the feet of Becky Lee whose first time shot rebounded off the crossbar. City then gained the impetus and only five minutes later came close to breaking the deadlock when Krystle Johnson's long range effort was saved by the Villa keeper.

Moments later Linda Sheppard went down following an innocent challenge from a Villa player, which turned out to be much more serious with Linda needing to be taken by ambulance straight to hospital resulting in play being stopped for 30 minutes. (Substitution for City - McManus for Sheppard)

As the game restarted, City appeared more unsettled by the incident and Villa came close to opening the score on two occasions, one a good header from the Villa No.18 producing a fine save from City's keeper Worral and the other attempt denied by the woodwork. City gradually got back into the game and on 38 minutes City won a corner and Sarah Danby headed home the first goal of the match to give City the lead, which they carried through to the half time whistle. 1-0.

The second half started with Villa pressing hard and threatening City's goal with a series of corners, the best of which produced another fine save from City's stalwart keeper. 12 minutes in City substituted Elle Turner for Levi Wensley a straight swap in midfield and continued to press hard. With 24 minutes gone of the second half, City allowed M. Lawley the Villa No.7 to break from midfield and equalise, 1-1.

The game now opened up with both teams playing attractive football and creating chances at either end but eventually City came through and regained the lead with Abbie McMannus scoring a fine header from a Lauren Beckford corner. 2-1. With 10 minutes to go City made another tactical change when Becky Grocott replaced Krystle Johnson up front, and City continued to work hard to the final whistle. ]Final score, 2:1 Win to City.
Manager Leigh Wood said "A disappointing performance today. We never really got going. Villa put us under a great deal of pressure, especially in the 2nd half. But credit must go to the players as they dug in, showed great character and came away with a 2-1 win and 3 points".

The reserves lost 5-3 to Everton in The Premier Reserves Cup