Author Topic: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?  (Read 194563 times)

sylvain

Re: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?
« Reply #1240 on: November 06, 2010, 06:27:07 PM »
It can be decided by crazy referees and in cup games unlike in the League there is no coming back from it

true  some ref decisions are crazy
Typical example of what can happen..yesterday 94th minute. Referee does not apply the LOTG law 12 page 112...and eliminate Rochdale.
You don't want your club missing on a champions league place because of a referee mistake.

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 07, 2010, 12:48:39 PM »
It can be decided by crazy referees and in cup games unlike in the League there is no coming back from it

true  some ref decisions are crazy
Typical example of what can happen..yesterday 94th minute. Referee does not apply the LOTG law 12 page 112...and eliminate Rochdale.
You don't want your club missing on a champions league place because of a referee mistake.
Rochdale? Champions League place? What you drinking? Lol

Johnny Ramone

« Reply #1242 on: November 07, 2010, 02:54:58 PM »
He's complaining that CL places go to the FA Cup Finalists...so if Everton draw Arsenal before the final one of them won't  be in the CL next season.  IMHO the CL place should go to 1 and 2 in the National League, as that is the highest level of competition currently being played. 

Personally I hope that Everton and Arsenal do meet in the 4th round or Quarter-Final of the FA Cup.  The game needs more than 2 team being at the top of the game.....and not just a monoply by the 2 rich clubs.

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 07, 2010, 09:09:09 PM »
Rochdale? Champions League place? What you drinking? Lol
ta mere doit sucer les ours a poil devant le prisu je pense ? sale blaireau
sorry for my ignorance but thats all French to me lol.. Queue sense of humour bypass.. Lol..

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: November 08, 2010, 01:32:24 PM »
I think Sylvain is saying the idea of Rochdale being in CL is as fanciful as Rochdale men being in men's equivalent (approximate - polite ?-  meaning)

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: November 08, 2010, 11:12:54 PM »
I think Sylvain is saying the idea of Rochdale being in CL is as fanciful as Rochdale men being in men's equivalent (approximate - polite ?-  meaning)
ooh was he rude in French lol.. Sacre Bleau :-)

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #1246 on: November 12, 2010, 12:46:37 AM »
Well, would you believe it? After a little over two years as a topic, this has just recently overhauled 'Kolbotn IL' as the most viewed.

A tribute to the hopes, dreams, failures, controversy and sometimes the downright stupidity surrounding the Super League. And there's probably lots more in the tank yet..

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: November 12, 2010, 03:52:58 PM »
plenty more to come - player movements for one

I am told the marketing operation which precedes the season's start will begin in earnest in 2011

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: November 19, 2010, 11:44:35 AM »
Official title announced and it's almost the same as this thread

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: November 19, 2010, 01:04:22 PM »
FA confident 'Super League' will not suffer financial meltdown

• Teams will operate on £200,000 budgets
  • Only a handful of players expected to be truly full-time

Tony Leighton guardian.co.uk, Sunday 14 November 2010 18.43 GMT

The Football Association's new summer League, whose title will be announced on Thursday and which is set to kick off in April next year, will not suffer the massive financial problems that the United States' professional women's leagues have experienced, insists Sally Horrox, the project manager for the working-titled "FA Super League".

The US has the world's top-ranked national team but, after the 2003 collapse of the Women's United Soccer Association league with cumulative losses of almost $100m, the 2009-launched Women's Professional Soccer league has already seen two clubs, Los Angeles Sol and Saint Louis Athletica, go out of existence amid fears that this league may also end in closure.

Horrox said: "Our model is much different to the USA's. Their clubs have budgets of $2m-3m a season, ours will be £200,000-300,000. The current American league is more modest than the first one in terms of its wage bills (average $35,000 per player per season), but they're still a lot higher than ours will be – their league is professional whereas ours will essentially be semi-pro, and I don't think that more than a handful of players will be truly full‑time professionals over here."

Top players will earn around £25,000 per season in the FA's league, but the majority will be expected to supplement their earnings with other part-time work. The league will not have title-sponsors but, with a TV deal already in place with ESPN, Horrox said: "We are building a family of commercial partners."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/14/fa-womens-super-league
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: November 19, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »

FA unveils name and logo for women's league

The Football Association has unveiled the name and logo for the new semi-professional women’s football league that is launching in April 2011.

Having previously worked under the title of ‘The FA Women’s Super League’ since its formal announcement in March this year, it has been confirmed that the new league will be called The FA WSL.

The brand name and logo represent a new direction and feel for the elite league in women’s football.

Julian Eccles, Group Director for Marketing and Communications at The FA, said of the announcement: “We undertook an extensive process over the past six months that has led to The FA WSL name and accompanying logo unveiled today.

“The FA explored numerous names and branding routes, all based on solid research around the women’s game. The main aim in this brand research was to find something that the key target audience - 9-15 year old girls - identified with.”

The FA WSL logo and brand identity were developed by Corporate Edge, a leading branding agency responsible for creating brands including Travelodge, Aviva, Age UK and We are England for Commonwealth Games England.

Bridget Ruffell, Managing Partner at Corporate Edge, said: “This was a fantastic opportunity to develop an identity for a new league that could help to position women’s football as an exciting, skilful and contemporary game to watch and compete in.”

The FA’s ambition is to create a semi-professional and commercially sustainable league at the top of women’s football in this country. The FA want to ensure that England’s most talented players no longer have to move overseas to play competitive football.

The following clubs will be participating in The FA WSL:

Arsenal Ladies FC
Birmingham City Ladies FC
Bristol Academy Women’s FC
Chelsea Ladies FC
Doncaster Rovers Belles Ladies FC
Everton Ladies FC
Lincoln Ladies FC
Liverpool Ladies FC.

Further to the FA’s announcement, Arsenal Ladies manager Laura Harvey said: “The FA WSL promises to be a great competition, and we’re delighted to be a part of it. With the name of the league and logo now confirmed, we’re one step closer to getting started so it’s really exciting.

“The FA WSL will provide an unprecedented opportunity to take the Women’s game forward in the UK, and we’re going to grab that chance with both hands.

“Obviously, it’s difficult in the short term, with not much football to be played, but the new competition will raise the profile of the game, and give more people a chance to see us in action. That can only be a good thing for Arsenal Ladies and for women’s football as a whole.”

Arsenal Ladies will play their home matches in the FA WSL at Borehamwood FC. Ticket (including Season Ticket) and match information will be released after Christmas.

Arsenal Ladies aim to create a fantastic matchday experience for the FA WSL so keep an eye out for further details!

http://www.arsenal.com/news/ladies-news/fa-unveils-name-and-logo-for-women-s-league
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline KIPAX

• View Profile
    • KIPAX Sports Photography
« Reply #1251 on: November 19, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »
“The FA explored numerous names and branding routes, all based on solid research around the women’s game. The main aim in this brand research was to find something that the key target audience - 9-15 year old girls - identified with.”

I nearly fell of my chair when I read that... they didnt go to games.. they didnt ask the fans..they didnt include the fans and as far as i know they put a form on the fa website. that was it.. unbelievable :( or no.. sorry... truly believable actualy.
Womens Football Photography : www.kipax.com

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: November 19, 2010, 01:28:14 PM »

I nearly fell of my chair when I read that... they didnt go to games.. they didnt ask the fans..they didnt include the fans and as far as i know they put a form on the fa website. that was it.. unbelievable :( or no.. sorry... truly believable actualy.

The fans views would have been just one of the areas covered in the research.  The majority of the research would have focused on league structures in other parts of the world and feedback from players and clubs.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:10:41 PM by John »

Johnny Ramone

« Reply #1253 on: November 20, 2010, 01:10:12 AM »
While the FA plough all the publicity and money into 8 clubs, the clubs that make up the FA Women's Premier League(s), (all 3 of them) get nothing...as far as the FA is concerned they are not wanted. 

Nothing is done by the FA to promote the women's game outside the WSL. 

Selling the women's game to ESPN is a backward step...not forward.....viewing figures will be minimal.  They could have given the TV rights for women's football to the BBC for a minimal fee, to get a decent audience.

The BBC could have put a highlights package (once a week) covering WPL games.  This will get the target audience ready for WSL and encourage the locals to watch there local teams on a Sunday.  I have 5 WPL clubs in my area  - Blackburn, PNE, Rochdale, City and Curzon...a massive catchment area for the FA to tap into...they choose not to. 

BRFC have 1 full-time member of staff responsible for the club from under 10's to 1st team, so it's difficult to ask these club administrators to market the women's game on the FA's behalf.,

It's free admission at PNE, but nobody watches but parents and friends.  Preston has a big catchment area with dozens of schools in the locality.  Nothing is done by the FA, at National or Local level to encourage parents to bring kids to games.   

Non-league football in my area is thriving, with Chorley FC having gates of over 1,000 at certain games...the club is very proactive at getting kids to watch the club.  Centrally contracted England players should be out at schools throughout the country promoting the game as a whole...encouraging not only kids to play football.....but to get them to support there local team.

I personally would like the Football League to take over the Premier League(s), as they would make a better job of running it than the FA have.  They'd bring in sponsorship and involve the local communities in there clubs.   

I fear that the WPL will become the forgotten majority.....3 leagues that aren't really wanted by the FA.  That is to the detriment of the game...Leeds United/Carnegie LFC and Charlton Athletic used to be famous clubs, but not anymore.  The sad demise of Fulham is what awaits more and more clubs. 

This will happen unless the FA puts the good of the 'majority' of clubs/players before the needs of a small number of England players.

All England squad players should be full-time pro's, paid for by the FA...not the clubs. The clubs don't have the fanbase to finance it in the long-term. The FA 'do' have the finance to pay the players, the women's clubs don't.

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: November 21, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »
Have 2 daughters who play in the 9-15 bracket the WSL are trying to target.  They have both play in CoE and develop squad of 2 premiership teams at junior level but they are not encouraged to go to the senior games.  That said we are probably "footballed" out by the end of the week after 4 training sessions and 2 matches.  But as I keep saying to them - both want to be professional footballers when they grow up   ;D - if they don't support it by going to watch the senior teams then who is.

sylvain

« Reply #1255 on: November 21, 2010, 10:52:50 AM »
Have 2 daughters who play in the 9-15 bracket the WSL are trying to target.  They have both play in CoE and develop squad of 2 premiership teams at junior level but they are not encouraged to go to the senior games.
Strange because it is the best way to learn : look what the senior player playing in the same position does during the game...Except of course if the team is not really good or the senior player is a poor one. The other alternative is to watch a men's game live but they are pricey.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:54:40 AM by sylvain »

Offline KIPAX

• View Profile
    • KIPAX Sports Photography
« Reply #1256 on: November 22, 2010, 02:28:12 PM »
The fans views would have been just one of the areas covered in the research.

My point is it wasn't covered properly
Womens Football Photography : www.kipax.com

sylvain

« Reply #1257 on: November 22, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
As the FA is marketing the 9-15 years old girls, I guess that's why the FA did not extensively consult the actual fans as they don't fit in that bracket at all.
The majority of fans I see at games are male between between 20 and 80, female fans account to 40% maximum, in the games I see.

sylvain

« Reply #1258 on: December 11, 2010, 12:32:34 AM »
We have been promised a more competitive League but so far it seems like there will be 3 teams fighting for the title, 3 teams behind those 3 and 2 teams just fighting for the bottom places. Obviously with 4 months to go before the start of WSL, the weakest team might recruit more quality players but it looks like a 3 tier competition like the WPL last season.

Arsenal and Everton have kept the nucleus of their squad and have added quality to complement what they already had and will be there. Birmingham have made a wholesale of changes and will be there fighting with those two big teams. I wonder how starters from last season they will keep 3 ?

Lincoln have recruited like Birmingham and will be an unknown quantity, Chelsea have lost a few and taken a few players in but they will probably not be  at the same level as Arsenal and Everton except if they gel quickly as a team. Doncaster are in the same situation, they made a few signings to compensate all their departure.

Bristol and Liverpool don't seem to have recruited much players and will need to have a very high team discipline level to be able to compete or a coach like Mourinho.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: December 18, 2010, 03:00:25 AM »
The Guardian featured a long article on the WSL on Thursday. The only bits of information that I could find which were not already well known concern the ESPN deal .                                                                                             FA invests £3m in eight-club elite league for women• Televised league to be launched in April

Share   Anna Kessel guardian.co.uk, Thursday 16 December 2010 19.20 GMT

The Football Association has revealed detailed plans for the new FA Women's Super League, an eight-club elite competition with a television deal which will launch in April next year and run through to August. It is the single biggest event to happen in women's football in this country, but with news of yet more crisis in the Women's Professional Soccer league over in the United States this week – Chicago Red Stars choosing to "sit out" this season due to financial problems – the watchword of the day at Wembley was "conservative".

"We're not going too big too quick," said Kelly Simmons, head of the national game at the FA. "We won't have full squads of professional footballers straight away. Ours is more of a conservative approach, which we think is more sustainable. It is a very different model. The US have struggled, they invested too much in salaries. They haven't got the revenue to pay the salaries they're paying, and their costs are much higher than us because of travel."

The FA is investing £2m over the next two years, half of which goes directly to clubs and the other half to cover central running costs, including central contracts for 20 England players at £16,000 a year. It brings the FA's total investment to £3m. A salary cap will operate with only four players per club allowed to earn more than £20,000 a year – paid for by the clubs themselves – which the governing body hopes will ensure an even spread of talent throughout the league.

A TV deal with ESPN has been negotiated to broadcast a weekly 30-minute highlights show, as well as five live matches during the first season. Although the league will not command any TV revenue, the FA will not be expected to cover production costs for ESPN – a rarity in women's sport.

With the WPS currently paying salaries of about $32,000 (£20,500) for average players, the FAWSL is unlikely to attract international stars, but England's manager, Hope Powell, said this is not the priority. "If I'm honest there's great talent around the world, but my ambition is to have this league produce homegrown talent. I'd like it to be an all-English league that encourages younger players coming through."

With the failing WPS league in mind - America's second attempt at a professional game following the doomed Women's United Soccer Association that folded in 2003 - the FA has looked to European leagues such as Germany and Holland as models for success. FAWSL games will be played in small-capacity stadiums, having shunned offers from the men's partner clubs such as Arsenal and Chelsea to play in their stadiums, the primary aim being to fill the ground. Tickets will be priced at about £5 for an adult and £3 for children, aimed at attracting a family crowd. Simmons said the hope is that within two to three years the game will be able to "stand on its own two feet", with clubs no longer needing the same level of financial support from the governing body, and with broadcasters such as ESPN persuaded to start paying for TV rights.

The league will run from April to August with a break for the World Cup in 2011 and for the Olympics in 2012. The league will operate as a closed shop for the first two years, with potential to expand following an FA review.

FAWSL teams: Arsenal Ladies, Birmingham City Ladies, Bristol Academy Women's FC, Chelsea Ladies, Doncaster Rovers Belles, Everton Ladies, Lincoln Ladies, Liverpool Ladies.
  . 5 matches televised live and a half hour weekly highlights show . Bet the 5 matches will mostly be from that Bank Holiday festival they were proposing in one venue ...hoped for more live games given the weekly coverage the netball gets.