Author Topic: My Team: Anna Signeul  (Read 1507 times)

Online David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My Team: Anna Signeul
« on: February 08, 2007, 10:10:38 AM »
THE women's national coach at the SFA brings great experience from a country where women's football is much better organised. The Swedes are ranked fourth in the world and, while the Scots have a long way to go, their position has improved in the 18 months since Signeul took charge. Next week she takes her side to Cyprus to take on her own country for the first time in a tournament which also includes world No.10 Japan.

What's your best moment with Scotland?
The European Championship match against Switzerland at McDiarmid Park last year when we won 1-0. That was such an important three points in our campaign.

And your worst?
I've not experienced one yet - and I hope it will stay like that for the next few years.

Which is your favourite away ground?
Any that we get three points... This is a difficult question for a national coach to answer as we don't always play in the same stadium. Playing in Germany is always a good experience as the standard of the stadium is usually very good, they normally have good crowds and matches are televised so all round it is a good experience for the players and coaches.

Who has been your best player since coming here?
I don't really want to single out individuals. But Julie Fleeting, Jo Love and Shelley Kerr have all been very important players for Scotland over the two years I've been here.

What is your favourite goal of all time?
Maradona for Argentina against England in the 1986 World Cup when he took the ball from around halfway, beating many players before slotting into the back of the net.

Who was your most influential manager?
Pia Sundhage from Sweden. She supported my education and development as a young coach and I was also her assistant with the youth national teams before I started to work at the Swedish FA and we became colleagues.

What is your favourite piece of memorabilia?
The gold medal I have from being the coach of the Swedish Under-19 team which won the 1988 Uefa Championships. We beat Germany and Norway.

Which is your favourite kit?
The 1978 Scotland top.

Who is the greatest Scottish player of all time?
Julie Fleeting with 89 caps and 93 goals.

What one thing would you change about Scottish football?
I hope the environment for girls'/women's football in Scotland improves. I'd also like to see a change of season so there is a winter break as so many games are cancelled over this period, which then causes problems in all areas.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.1174048.0.my_team_anna_signeul.php