Author Topic: Professional contracts  (Read 271 times)

Offline Richhutcho

• View Profile
Professional contracts
« on: July 09, 2019, 07:44:33 PM »
Have any parents on here, been involved in talks with clubs and your daughters been offered pro or semi pro contracts? Or any talks at all once they hit 15/16?

If so would love to hear of your experiances, looking online for any insight and knowledge but not much around

Offline Bananas

• View Profile
Re: Professional contracts
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 10:21:50 AM »
Others may correct me, but...

Unless your daughter is the superstar of her age group in the country, 16 would be very young for a WSL/championship club to consider offering a full pro contract that would include salary, housing, etc. My understanding is that WSL clubs generally wait until a player is 18, or nearly 18, to offer pro contracts. Some clubs (mainly championship clubs but some WSL too) do offer expenses-only contracts for 16 year olds. 

Offline Richhutcho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 02:27:15 PM »
Cheers bananas appreciate the feedback

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 03:37:12 PM »
I am not sure minors get offered pro contracts : recently Lauren Hemp and Esme Morgan signed for City but they had to wait until they were 18.

Offline Richhutcho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 07:11:32 PM »
Just to note, the original post was basically just to hear peoples experiances of discussions at 16 at the end of rtc’s , and any who can give insight into contract experiances at age 17/18

I think alot of parents are like me and dont know what to expect at all, so any info or insight would be great

Offline Bananas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 07:48:17 PM »
When my daughter was 16 and at the end of  her final year of her RTC, players chose one of these routes:
1. Stay at their club and move up to the u21s
2. Move to a different club and join their u21s
3. Join a championship team and negotiate their expenses payment and other extras.

Getting as much match time as possible with the strongest team and the best coaching seemed to be most kid’s priority.

After two years when they are nearing 18 or actually 18, then they can  start looking for pro contracts or go to the USA for uni. Some kids get agents at this point but it’s not always necessary. If a club is interested, they will get in contact and a few clubs have trials.

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 02:28:05 PM »
The majority of RTC graduates I know of have either gone into an u18s playing in a good grassroots league (which they walked) or else straight into the reserve side of a tier 3 team linked to the RTC.   I know of a couple who have played first team in the second or third tier and one I always rated seems to be doing well in the third tier at 17 - I could see her going higher tbh.   

A couple of outstanding ones were signed by a WSL side as happened to one last year but I doubt she's getting paid and she's not made a first team appearance yet but she's been playing in that reserves league- she's doing A levels at the same 6th form as my daughter.   A lot of them I know about are now going off the USA or scholarships.    If she's interested in that then it's worth looking at - I don't know the finances of it I assume they are just reduced fees - but I've seen some pretty average RTC players (obviously they are good footballers but you know what I mean - they weren't outstanding for the level they were at) get scholarships. 

I suppose it may differ where you are.   Maths will tell you that the majority will not be getting signed up on any kind of paid contract ever in their footballing lives but that's not to be negative the same is true in boys football.   

Offline Richhutcho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 04:06:06 PM »
Cheers guys

Great insightful posts appreciated, are your two daughters playing? And how they getting on?

Offline Bananas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 07:01:33 AM »
Cheers guys

Great insightful posts appreciated, are your two daughters playing? And how they getting on?

My daughter had pro contract offers, but decided to go to the USA anyway since she was offered a full scholarship. Once you sign a pro contract, that door would have been closed (you have to be considered an amateur to go to USA unis on scholarship) and she really wanted the experience of being in another country and getting her degree.

Offline Richhutcho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 09:49:15 AM »
Thats great best of luck to her, its something we l definatly look into

Offline Bananas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 10:14:52 AM »
Thats great best of luck to her, its something we l definatly look into

And best of luck to your daughter, too!  :)

Offline Richhutcho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 01:12:30 PM »
Thank you, were just going into under 14s , doing fab so far

Offline dirkvanadidas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 07:19:03 PM »
2019 exit pathways
2 tier 4 first team
1 tier 4 development
4 wsl development 3 clubs

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 09:34:06 AM »
Cheers guys

Mine still plays but she became less ambitious when she got to about 14 partly I think because she had issues with asthma which really limited her.    She still plays but she's not really fit enough or ambitious enough to do herself justice - shame in a way but she wants to be a vet not a footballer and it's her life !    She's very driven on the pitch but doesn't really have the drive to do what you need to do off the pitch to produce on a match day if you see what I mean.