Author Topic: Leeds Met Scholar gets England call up  (Read 880 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Leeds Met Scholar gets England call up
« on: March 30, 2007, 10:10:50 AM »
Leeds Met student Carla Cantrell has received her first call-up to the England senior women’s football team. Carla, who is in her first year of a BA (Hons) in Physical Education at the university’s Carnegie Faculty of Sport & Education, will fly to the training camp in La Manga, Spain, next month

Carla, 19, from Doncaster, has been involved with the England under 19's, under 21's and under 23 squads, but this is her first senior squad call-up. She plays for Doncaster Rovers Belles in the FA Women's Premier League, as well as playing for Leeds Met’s University team. Carla was awarded a Carnegie Sports Scholarship from Leeds Met this year to help her combine her studies with her sport.

Carla said: “I got a call a couple of weeks ago to say I was on stand-by then when I got the call to say I was going, I was over the moon. It will be a great experience.”

Carnegie Women's Football Coach, Chris Welburn, added: "I’m very pleased for Carla, she thoroughly deserves this opportunity and recognition. Carla is a credit to herself and her family and has worked hard day in day out with her training programme for a well deserved opportunity like this to come her way."

http://www.busa.org.uk/newsitem.asp?section=0001000100020002&itemid=888&monthinview=2007-03-01