Author Topic: Future of the forum again  (Read 2791 times)

Cabbages

Re: Future of the forum again
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 11:08:51 PM »
there seems to be some missing sub- forums David, a blip or have you deleted them ?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:26:12 AM by Cabbages »

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 01:27:16 AM »
Nothing has been deleted...I have merged them into their main board so they are still there.....I'm still pondering what to merge where to trim everything down a bit.....Any suggestions welcome !

Cabbages

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 05:48:13 AM »
I am perfectly happen with how it was before- no need to change imo- will be off here if too much surgery is carried out-

Offline Bananas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 09:28:49 AM »
I do agree on merging some of the boards and tried it on the smallest ones a while ago so the number now is less than it was. It took ages as each post needed to be moved individually and where there are hundreds/thousands it took absolutely ages. There were several moans on the community forum for the software that there must be a better way and on looking again tonight I see a post from 2014 where someone has suggested there is a quicker way using something hidden in one of the maintenance menu's.

I will give that a trial over the weekend and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else please feel free to chime in as well !
I'm one of the guilty people who doesn't post much, but really value this site for all of its advice and info.

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 11:49:48 AM »
I am perfectly happen with how it was before- no need to change imo- will be off here if too much surgery is carried out-

Why ?   Over the page you were posting David may as well knock the forum on the head, yet if there are changes to try and save it you'll be off?  I just don't follow your logic at all.   

Major surgery required, no need to save old threads it's not the national archive.

Cabbages

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 01:25:34 PM »
its not the forum that needs surgery Croc- it just needs the “guilty” posters to start posting instead of just reading- there are enough topics here to spark a debate, even old threads can be revived. I have been on here for around 10 years in various guises- it works for me but if you want to change it, go ahead abd see how many respond- Good luck with that.

Cabbages

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 12:19:19 PM »
Well, have tried my best to drum up some interest and support- even DM a few to encourage them but dont think there is any willing life-form out there. Much as i like this place David , you might have some important decisions to make regarding the future of the forum.

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 09:26:19 AM »
its not the forum that needs surgery Croc- it just needs the “guilty” posters to start posting instead of just reading- there are enough topics here to spark a debate, even old threads can be revived. I have been on here for around 10 years in various guises- it works for me but if you want to change it, go ahead abd see how many respond- Good luck with that.
A lot of people join forums and then forget about them, so they will still show as members, but not actually use the site. The trick is ALWAYS to have regular new members join, especially at a time when more and more fans are being drawn to the women’s game. My suggestions for changes were because for someone visiting for the first time, seeing so many forums and sub-forums can be daunting. Many people will decide if they like a site within seconds of first viewing it and will disappear within seconds if it doesn’t grab them. If they feel there is too much to see, before they really understand the site, they will just click away to another site
BUZZ BEE
If at first you don't succeed... cheat!

Offline the-lone-voyageur

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 04:40:11 PM »
[ 1 ] Again,  there is double digit reader interest  on this forum on a daily basis -- including today.

[ 2 ] I would not  mind seeing more polls on the forum ( maybe monthly ?) asking easy questions and soliciting simple responses. For example:

- Will England win the 2018 SheBelieves Cup ?  yes or no.
-  Who would be the better left fullback for England:    Demi Stokes or Alex Greenwood ?

Polls are simple, they're democratic, and they could help turn shy readers into participating posters.

Cabbages

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 06:09:15 PM »
what other sites do they go to ?

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 11:08:55 AM »
[ 1 ] Again,  there is double digit reader interest  on this forum on a daily basis -- including today.

[ 2 ] I would not  mind seeing more polls on the forum ( maybe monthly ?) asking easy questions and soliciting simple responses. For example:

- Will England win the 2018 SheBelieves Cup ?  yes or no.
-  Who would be the better left fullback for England:    Demi Stokes or Alex Greenwood ?

Polls are simple, they're democratic, and they could help turn shy readers into participating posters.
I agree. I wasn't even aware that the poll option isn't available to us. It is something that can provoke discussion
what other sites do they go to ?
I understand your point, as there are no alternative women's forums. However, the flip side of that is that new visitors might well just stumble across the site. It may be that, like me, when they start regularly watching women’s football, they simply google women’s football, looking for sites that will give them info and they come across this one. We then need to grab their attention and ensure that they come back and not just click onto other ‘info’ sites or simply stop searching and start looking at other unrelated things.

If they are specifically looking for a forum like this, then they will find no alternative and will hopefully hang around, but if they are not being so specific, a site that isn’t immediately easy to follow is likely to be seen and discarded within seconds
BUZZ BEE

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 02:34:50 PM »
It’s just a small step, but as I support Reading Women, I have just posted a link to the forum on our Facebook fan group and suggested we would welcome new members
BUZZ BEE

Cabbages

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 06:33:54 PM »
Nice one Buzzer- lets hope the other 2 fans come and join us on here- 😀