Author Topic: Arsenal change name to Arsenal  (Read 761 times)

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
Arsenal change name to Arsenal
« on: July 28, 2017, 07:56:24 PM »

Arsenal Ladies have dropped their traditional name in favour of Arsenal Women FC.

But in official records, they'll just be "Arsenal" unless there's confusion with Arsenal Gentlemen's team.

- https://www.arsenal.com/news/message-alex-scott

- http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/arsenal-ladies-renamed-women-football-club-a7865981.html

- http://www.eurosport.com/football/arsenal-drop-ladies-reference-from-women-s-team-in-progressive-step_sto6269995/story.shtml

Could this encourage more teams to follow suit?

Cabbages

Re: Arsenal change name to Arsenal
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:04:38 PM »
can someone explain why the need for change and does it really matter ?

Technically, they should always just be called Arsenal and drop women and ladies completely. When is s mens team ever referred ti ad ..Arsenal men for example

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 04:45:07 AM »
can someone explain why the need for change and does it really matter ?

Technically, they should always just be called Arsenal and drop women and ladies completely. When is s mens team ever referred ti ad ..Arsenal men for example

Quite a few people complain about BBC stats writing "Women's"/"Ladies" needlessly... Now they'll be forced to write Arsenal! (Maybe)

Ultimately, it matters little. It's symbolic, and that can make a small difference in attitudes. Certainly on here, it's important to avoid confusion with the men's Premier League, men's World Cup, England men's team etc. Just remember though, the male version of "Ladies" = "Gentlemen", as in "Chelsea Gentlemen FC", and the male equivalent of "Belles" is... "Doncaster Rovers Beaus"?

The most equal teams in this are in countries without such a strong football history – it's common to say "men's"/"MNT" in the U.S. and Canada, because the sport isn't male by default.
-

Cabbages

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 08:25:29 AM »
My understanding is that by changing from Ladies to Women, that Arsenal feel a mark of togetherness, unity and equality. What I dont quite understand is why they dont feel all those things by being called Ladies- I just dont see a difference.

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »

It seems to boil down to 1) "Ladies" is old-fashioned, 2) All senior players should be "Arsenal" players regardless of gender. That must be the 'togetherness' part. The name change was only because they had to choose "Ladies" or "Women", and I guess they voted for a more modern one.

As Alex Scott put it, "The term ‘Women’ delineates between men and women without as many stereotypes or preconceived notions and it is in keeping with modern day thinking on equality."

The trouble is, it's an empty gesture. Arsenal still use the name "First Team" exclusively for the men's team. And the men will certainly be the club's first, second and third priority above all the other teams. The FA's website is a bit more enlightened in using the name "England's men's seniors" – and maybe it's no coincidence, the FA are on the verge of banning the men in order to focus solely on their quarter-final-winning Lionesses. :)
-

Cabbages

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 12:10:48 PM »
It's all non-sense to me- I will still refer to them as Arsenal Ladies, whether they like it or not.

coey

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 02:57:38 PM »
I'm cool with name change.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:31:31 PM »
When I was at Glasgow City it wasn't City Ladies or City women it was just Glasgow City FC end of story....

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Cabbages

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 07:17:02 AM »
Happy with that but if clubs want to put something at the end, its ladues for me

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 10:03:16 AM »
I coach an u16s and I've started using ladies instead of girls to describe the team because they are no longer kids, but when I do part of me me does think the word does carry connotations beyond simply denoting female.   Basically I've used ladies because it seems to be more common in womens football but I do think women is a better descriptor and on balance I think Arsenal have it right here.