Author Topic: Is it possible to go to Uni and play first team football?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Bananas

• View Profile
Is it possible to go to Uni and play first team football?
« on: June 29, 2017, 09:04:44 AM »
Does anyone know if any of the WSL first teams are linked with unis so that their younger players  can still get an education and play top level football? I heard that Man City do this but I'm not sure if it's true or not.... so many girls go to the USA to get both, but it would be nice if they could stay here.

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
Re: Is it possible to go to Uni and play first team football?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 04:17:51 PM »
I am quite sure that over the last decade or so that enough players have combined Uni with playing for a FAWSL side or top FAWPL team. Durham, Leeds, Doncaster among northern teams

A key factor is likely to be which Uni the player is studying at and how close it is to a top team

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 09:50:34 AM »
The GB squad for the 2017 World University Games contains players from WSL 1, 2 and WPL clubs.

They won gold in 2013 with 3 current senior internationals in the squad

Full squad and background

https://bucs.org.uk/news.asp?itemid=23966&itemTitle=Women%27s+football+team+selected+for+World+University+Games&section=8&sectionTitle=News

Offline Bananas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 02:46:58 PM »
The GB squad for the 2017 World University Games contains players from WSL 1, 2 and WPL clubs.

https://bucs.org.uk/news.asp?itemid=23966&itemTitle=Women%27s+football+team+selected+for+World+University+Games&section=8&sectionTitle=News

That's really interesting, and it's encouraging that it's possible to do both. I wonder if the three internationals go part-time to uni, or if there is some kind of partnership between their clubs and the unis they attend.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:49:36 PM by RosesAreRed »

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:38:41 PM »

That's really interesting, and it's encouraging that it's possible to do both. I wonder if the three internationals go part-time to uni, or if there is some kind of partnership between their clubs and the unis they attend.

The three current internationals who also played in the 2013 gold medal team ,,,Stokes, Christiansen and Kirby....were very much part time back then, with clubs that ran as part time outfits.

The current university squad has a strong Bristol City and Sunderland representation, as well as Scottish players.... most seem to attend uni near where they play club football, though one Bristol City player studies at Brighton Uni !