Author Topic: Republic Ready For Hungary Test  (Read 998 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Republic Ready For Hungary Test
« on: March 29, 2007, 10:58:38 PM »
The Republic of Ireland's UEFA Women's Championship Qualification opener against Hungary on Sunday, will take place in Tolka Park at 3pm, as Richmond Park is not available, reports the Irish FA.

The Irish go into this game fresh from their recent success in this year’s Algarve Cup where they produced some marvellous performances against Portugal, Iceland and Italy.

Included in Noel King's squad are Under 19 starlets, Noelle Murray, Aine O’Gorman and Diane Caldwell who starred for the Irish in the Algarve. Also included in the squad is World Champion, Lightweight boxing sensation, Katie Taylor.

The Republic of Ireland are in Group 2 of the UEFA Championship Qualifiers alongside Sweden, Italy, Hungary and Romania. Ireland’s first game of that group is against Hungary at Richmond Park on Sunday 1st April, kick-off 3pm.

"We are 100 per cent focused on starting our European Championship Campaign with a good result and performance over Hungary," said Ireland manager Noel King.

“Hungary will be a huge test for the girls, I think if they can build on the momentum we have to get the campaign off to a perfect start and with anticipation be pushing for a top two finish in the group next year to make that final step up on the international stage,” he added.

“I selected a great mix of youth and experience in this squad and they have worked tirelessly together to create a magnificent team to make that final step up to a major tournament, something I think they are more than capable of,” he concluded.

Republic of Ireland Squad
Emma Byrne - Arsenal FC
Niamh Fahy - Salthill Devon
Susan Byrne - St.Johns University, NY
Alisha Moran - NY Athletic Club
Sharon Boyle - Raheny United
Marie Curtin - Hofstra University
Diane Caldwell - Hofstra University
Elaine O’Connor - Long Island Fury
Ciara Grant - Arsenal FC
Sonya Hughes - Franklin Pierce
Stephanie Curtis - Bristol Academy