Author Topic: Euro 2017 build-up  (Read 2883 times)

coey

Re: Euro 2017 build-up
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 05:41:53 PM »
A weird development in the England camp, as Marieanne Spacey has quit as assistant coach to Mark Sampson.
  presume she will be at the u15 and u16 camps in August ?

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
Re: Euro 2017 build-up
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 08:30:05 AM »

England win the Euros... of beach soccer. :-\ https://twitter.com/BeachSoccer_WW/status/884143873164943361
Clearly it's the world's greatest sport, apart from kilimanjaro soccer.

Ramona Birrfelder put the Swiss ahead, only for Shannon Sievwright to equalise 2 minutes later, with Gemma Hillier and Molly Clark then taking England into a 3-1 lead. [Final score Eng 4, Swi 3]

In the inferior sport of grass soccer, Sylvain has made a list of all the WSL players and their Euro squad numbers. All the squads have now been announced.

Germany's manager Steffi Jones has said "WE’RE UNBELIEVABLY VERSATILE", which is as German a headline as you can get, and probably true.

Scotland's Joelle Murray hopes this is the team's first tournament of many, while Friday night was Anna Signeul's last home game as manager. After the Euros she'll take over the Finland job.

And the search for a decent "Lionesses" chant sadly continues :D... I'm not sure it can be done.

Highlights - International matches in the past few days:

Scotland v Ireland, 7 July
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR4UVZBOkBI

France v Belgium, 7 July
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_2VQWhkxYM

Netherlands v Wales, 8 July
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQuUTJJxOaQ

Interview - Wales manager Jayne Ludlow

Sweden v Mexico, 8 July
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqTgh5CsYFE

Austria took a good 4-2 win over Denmark (6 July). Both teams will be in strong groups at the Euros.

- https://www.vavel.com/en/football/womens-football/805065-austria-4-2-denmark-austria-emerges-victorious-in-final-friendly-before-the-european-championships.html

Just two more friendlies before the championship:
    11 July: Belgium v Russia (Denderleeuv), France v Norway (Sedan)

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
FINAL Euro build-up!
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 11:20:57 AM »
Thank god, it's almost time to start.

In the friendlies just days before the championship kickoff, Belgium played Russia, and just over the Belgian border in Sedan, France hosted this game:

France v Norway, 11 July
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1cNcMXPg68

(New!) Belgium v Russia, 11 July
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wW5C9Ixl8M

Much more important news (??) the Netherlands 'Lionesses' will have a different logo from the men's team. Actually it's hard to see except close-up, but maybe the idea will catch on?

As for the England 'Lionesses', they've teamed up with Little Mix for some kind of army exercise ???

Join Little Mix In Saluting The Lionesses
It couldn’t be easier to join in. Simply film yourself saluting then upload it to Instagram or Twitter – and don’t forget to tag it with #Lionesses!

Personally I'm not going to salute, as I prefer to express my respect in different ways that are less likely to attract Hitler Gifs. But apart from that, the vid's pretty cool. Also, one surprising statistic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKV5WYyHHeU

That's the highest ratio of up-voters to sad haters ever, I think. Especially for a vid about women's football, which usually brings in the tough males who are so easily threatened. But not this time.

So, I dunno, maybe something really is happening. Maybe this "positivity" does have a future.

-
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:30:03 AM by sbahnhof »