Poll

Who do you think should be the tenth team in WSL 1 in 2017/18?

Doncaster Belles (relegated in 2016)
1 (12.5%)
Everton (just missed promotion in 2016)
0 (0%)
None?
2 (25%)
Other?
3 (37.5%)
WSL2 Spring Series winner
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 02, 2017, 10:15:05 AM

Author Topic: New WSL1 team - poll  (Read 2160 times)

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
New WSL1 team - poll
« on: April 24, 2017, 10:15:05 AM »
The bad news about the demise of Notts County Ladies has caused a horrible situation for their players and staff, who we can only hope will get plenty of help in continuing their careers.

Notts Ladies in the Continental Cup final, 2015
(pic: joshjdss, cc-by)

The loss of Notts also leaves the league uneven. WSL 1 has 9 teams now, and WSL 2 has 10 teams, rising to 11 later this year if Blackburn or Tottenham are approved to join.

So, what would you do? You can vote at the top of this thread. Note: this is what you'd prefer – not predicting what the FA will do, which is a mug's game at the best of times! But if you wanna discuss that downthread, go for it. A team could be bumped up from WSL2 to WSL1, or... well, there are other options:

a) Un-relegate Doncaster Rovers Belles. This would fly in the face of the FA's proud tradition of relegating them, but maybe it would be a nice way to make amends for screwing them over in 2013.

b) Promote Everton, who finished 3rd last year in WSL 2... but is it too much to promote 3 out of 10 teams? Especially when there was no promotion/relegation until recently.

c) Do nothing, and have the leagues at 9 and 11 teams, although the signs are that the FA want 10 and 10.

d) Other?? If you can think of it, they'll do it

e) Take the (until now) meaningless WSL 2 Spring Series of glorified friendlies, and promote the winner, once we know who that is.

All we know so far is what the FA said in their statement on Notts' closure:

"We would also like to make clear that an FA WSL licence cannot simply be transferred into another club’s name. To maintain the integrity of the league :D and in fairness to all other FA WSL and FA Women's Premier League clubs there is a rigorous :o application process :-\ to meet licence criteria."
Emoticons may not have been in the original statement

(Edit) To give them some credit, the FA have been somewhat prepared for this – having 21 possible teams did allow for the potential liquidation of one of the clubs, but they'll have to hope it doesn't happen anywhere else soon. Also, naming the England squad eighteen months before the Euros must have been influenced by Notts' problems. It would look strange to name Carly Telford, Laura Bassett, Jo Potter, or Jade Moore, if they get no playing time during the next few months.

Unfortunately for one team, it looks like the 2017/18 season will be moot, whatever happens. The 2018/19 WSL will be selected based on which franchises impress the FA, not what happens on the pitch in 2017/18.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:34:25 AM by sbahnhof »

Offline croc

• View Profile
Re: New WSL1 team - poll
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »
I've gone for the Spring series winner. 

We are now left without a WSL team in the East Mids so I don't know if that will be significant when the bids are made for 18/19.   The disadvantage of teaming up with male clubs is it alienates supporters of all the local rivals anyway so I suppose the concept of a regional spread doesn't really apply. 

I get the idea of giving the franchises time to establish themselves but I would prefer promotion and relegation to be on sporting terms so long as a team has facilities to host the required matches and accommodate 1000 fans and of course can provide assurances they won't fold during the season.   

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 05:15:50 PM »
One vote for "Other", intriguing! Can you explain?

And please don't say Man United ::)

We are now left without a WSL team in the East Mids so I don't know if that will be significant when the bids are made for 18/19.   The disadvantage of teaming up with male clubs is it alienates supporters of all the local rivals anyway so I suppose the concept of a regional spread doesn't really apply.

Good points - I do wonder what they might try regarding different regions.

coey

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »
wsl needs reorg to match rtc,
I would have wsl  1 12 clubs full time with rtc attached , wsl2 north 12 clubs part time with rtc attached, wsl 2 south 12 clubs part time with rtc attached.

not to mention u18 rtc and wsl development being in there.

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 08:29:45 PM »
I'd scrap the RTC system - put some effort into developing competitive high quality regional leagues at older youth levels and use the money saved to subsidise clubs who want to provide quality coaching.  At senior level I'd make it a competitive pyramid with promotion and relegation.   

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:56:30 AM »
wsl needs reorg to match rtc,
I would have wsl  1 12 clubs full time with rtc attached , wsl2 north 12 clubs part time with rtc attached, wsl 2 south 12 clubs part time with rtc attached.

not to mention u18 rtc and wsl development being in there.

I'd scrap the RTC system - put some effort into developing competitive high quality regional leagues at older youth levels and use the money saved to subsidise clubs who want to provide quality coaching.  At senior level I'd make it a competitive pyramid with promotion and relegation.   

For new readers, RTC = girls' Regional Talent Clubs, of which England has 34. And croc and coey know plenty about it, from bitter experience :) As seen in the excellent forum - http://www.womensfootball.eu/forum/index.php/board,67.0.html

We're more into the headache-inducing scenarios now, but let's say, what if you did effectively dissolve the national WSL 2? (Or rather "promoted" the Northern and Southern Leagues to level 2 again, instead of 3.)

What practical effects would it have? e.g. for a club that gets relegated from WSL 1? As it is, a relegated club already needs to adapt to the lower league's budgets, and there are part-time clubs even in WSL 1. So, maybe things wouldn't be so different without WSL 2 – apart from the teams no longer getting to play clubs from the other half of the country.

But would the FA ever return to the pre-2011 situation of a single national division? Perhaps they would, if you told them it's the system used in Germany and in France...

On the poll, I've voted for "None" because, oh, just a bad feeling. :-[ If the whole division will be torn up in 2018 anyway...

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 09:38:28 AM »
I voted for the Spring Series winner. However, there is an issue with this as well. As suggested in the OP, this is largely a series of friendlies. To add an incentive with just a few games to play might be a little unfair on one or two teams who may have taken it more seriously if they had known from the start
BUZZ BEE
If at first you don't succeed... cheat!

Offline Welsh May

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »
I would just bump everyone up one, so un-relegate the Belles, and shunt two clubs from WPL into the WSL (if they can afford it of course!!!!) one from south, one from north to maintain the movement and so on and so forth going downwards into the lower divisions. As technically they've earned those positions ........ I would be ok if it was Everton but feel its a fine line for those that go down and up at the WSL1 bottom/WSL2 top, level so don't mind really eitherway ........ anyway that's my take on it?

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 06:14:18 AM »
Thanks for all your thoughtful responses. And for even designing a smart new template for the league :) I didn't know it could be done.

It shows you, this is about so much more than one club.

Offline wsldreamteam

• View Profile
    • twitter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »
One vote for "Other", intriguing! Can you explain?

And please don't say Man United ::)

Others :  Man United  ;D am I right ?
My money is on Southampton if it goes to a new club. They have an RTC Tier 1 already that produces players and someone who used to coach in the England Youth system. 

Offline Welsh May

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 07:27:58 PM »
Why not Leics RTC1 in that case. They've got England players both at u16s and u14s and an older team who are the only club to have beaten the omnipotent Arsenal u15s last year and the England rich Arsenal u16s this year..... And it retains a WSL in the East Midlands .... though geographys not that relevant all in all. Equally Derby who have been doing very well could equally provide a pathway from an RTC?, if the intention to avoid it being a NW/London centred WSL1 league?......  but I'm not sure that's avoidable?

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »
Leicester would certainly make sense, if they put a bid in.

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »
Shocking news :o www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39934711

... Nah not really. The FA is taking applications from WSL 2 clubs to be the top flight's tenth team for 2017/18. Well, they do need somebody to give Yeovil a real challenge.

Here's the interesting part, the Spring Series will have a bearing on the FA's decision! A tiny bearing.

The five elements of the application will be weighted for assessment purposes as follows: finance and business management (30 per cent), players, staff and youth development (30 per cent), facilities (20 per cent), marketing and commercial (15 per cent) and 2016 and Spring Series on-pitch performance (5 per cent).

Clubs must submit their application by midday on Tuesday 30 May. The decision will be made in early June, before confirmation of the successful club’s new league place at the FA WSL AGM on Wednesday 28 June.

Five percent is a bit high, but maybe it's better than just sending Everton up with no apparent contest. (As far as I remember, the 2018/19 decisions should be being made soon - wonder if that'll change at all.)

So, get your guesses in now...

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 06:32:57 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39951440

I'm sorry, but i don't see why the Belles should just be un-relegated. I know they've started doing it properly now with promotion and relegation but for any expansion to the league it's always been through an application process. Granted this is unusual circumstances given the Notts County situation, but that doesn't take away from the fact.

Or to maybe look at it another way - why shouldn't other teams get the chance to apply. What gives the Belles the right to think they should be put back into WSL 1 before any other club?

I think the FA are doing it the right way tbh.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline Welsh May

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 07:04:43 PM »
I doubt the Belles do think they've the right to remain in WSL1, but from my view it seemed a simple way to me to keep the relegated club for one season (by moving the line). I have no problem with an application process..... How will the 5% spring series aspect be assessed given not many clubs benefitted from the WSL1 players from County assisting their results mid way through ....... anyhow .......... I have assumed this will be a fairly judged process of do people feel it's pre-decided then?.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 07:26:31 PM »
Well, the link i added with their statement would suggest so -

Doncaster are "disappointed" by the Football Association's decision to open applications to all second-tier clubs to join Women's Super League One for the 2017-18 season.

Why are they disappointed when that's always been the way they've done it? If it was done by promotion/relegation from the start then fair enough. But then Sunderland would have been in WSL 1 three years earlier than they were.

"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 10:57:02 AM »
How will the 5% spring series aspect be assessed given not many clubs benefitted from the WSL1 players from County assisting their results mid way through ....... anyhow .......... I have assumed this will be a fairly judged process of do people feel it's pre-decided then?.

I dunno about pre-decided - it seems a long process to go through, if the promotion might be for only one season. So, the FA probably have some doubts about who to put up, but maybe they only have 2 or 3 clubs in mind. After some recent secret decisions (see WPL playoff venue), some openness is a good idea.

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 11:30:03 AM »
The plot thickens, again:

The licence application period for the FA Women’s Super League (FA WSL), from 2018 onwards, has been extended to 9 October [2017].

The deadline for current FA WSL clubs to submit their applications has been revised so that any factors or changes from the Women’s Football Competition Review currently taking place can be reflected in club application submissions, with particular focus on development teams and the player development pathway.

Further details on commercial and broadcast assets are also due to be confirmed, so the extension will allow clubs to submit accurate business plans and licence application to The FA.

Under the revised schedule, recommendations will be made to and assessed by the FA Women’s Football Board by end of December 2017. The constitution of clubs within the competition will be confirmed at the FA WSL AGM in June 2018. Licences will begin from the 2018-19 season.

The original plan was to decide clubs for WSL 1 and 2 this summer for the 2018/19 season. But that was before Notts County Ladies went under.

That part about June 2018 sounds intriguing – is it possible the FA will allow for promotion and relegation as normal in 2018?

Also, this "Women's Football Competition Review" doesn't seem to be well publicized, unless it's under another name? I can't find a record of it.

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 07:33:52 AM »
The big announcement: Everton are elected to Women's Super League 1, starting from September:

Everton join WSL 1 – season 2017/2018
- www.womensfootball.eu/forum/index.php/topic,8357.0.html[/url
-