Author Topic: Women's FA Cup final 2017 – Birmingham v Man City  (Read 1976 times)

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
Women's FA Cup final 2017 – Birmingham v Man City
« on: May 04, 2017, 10:50:47 AM »
Saturday 13 May 2017
Wembley Stadium, London
Kickoff: 5.15pm

Birmingham have reached the final by beating West Brom, Arsenal and Chelsea, while Manchester City beat Reading, Bristol City and Liverpool.

The two finalists met yesterday in the WSL Spring Series – that 'preview' game is available on BBC iPlayer for a month.

The final will be televised live on BBC Two from 5pm. How the match got its strange kickoff time is a long story, but the FA seemed to choose the evening out of necessity, not preference. Also, those two teams that are involved! They're both from out of town! If the organizers want to beat the attendance of 32,900 from last year, they've got their work cut out for them.

Chelsea lift the cup in 2015
(pic: fourthandfifteen, cc-by)

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
Re: Women's FA Cup final 2017 – tix and trainers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 11:20:18 PM »
If the organizers want to beat the attendance of 32,900 from last year, they've got their work cut out for them.

Well, blow me down, they've sold heaps of tickets. There should be over 35,000 at the game, which is pretty great:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39818560

So, yup, it'll be 5.15 kickoffs for the foreseeable future...

In other news, the Man City v Birmingham league game on Wednesday taught us a few things, like how Birmingham's boss Mark Skinner has got the whitest sneakers in the game:

(He must be auditioning for an indie band or the new Doctor Who or something.)

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
Re: Women's FA Cup final 2017 – Birmingham v Man City
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:04:48 AM »
The match referee will be Durham FA's Rebecca Welch. In other news, Birmingham's Jess Carter has talked about winning the PFA Young Player of the Year award:

- http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-ladies-star-jess-12978569
-

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »
Mark Skinner on managing the Birmingham team in the final:

I already know what team I will be looking to play at Wembley. I've got it in my head. Wednesday's result away at Manchester City did help because it gave us a taste of what we can expect from them.

We're all really looking forward to it. There will be a sell-out crowd for a Women's FA Cup final which is fantastic, but we've got to rise to the occasion and put in a performance.

I'm sure the FA would hasten to add, tickets are not yet sold out :) There's still a few available, kids.

So, Birmingham lost their last WSL match before the final, but Man City have one more, tonight (Tuesday) at Bristol City, before they fully concentrate on the Cup.

Casey Stoney has talked about her experiences of FA Cup Finals, going back to winning in 2001 with a crowd of 13,000... (Here's the original match report.)
-
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:20:36 AM by sbahnhof »

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
The TV and radio coverage will be here from 4.30pm Saturday:

- http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/38395384

Man City's Lucy Bronze has talked about the Cup final and the new season in an interview. She describes this trophy as "the cup that we're missing", as Man City have never made the final before. Meanwhile Birmingham will be hoping to emulate their achievement from five years ago:

Birmingham v Chelsea, 2012 FA Women's Cup Final
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-DDAVZtUvI

About Man City's final preparations, they played Bristol City last night and manager Nick Cushing now has a selection headache apparently.

Also, how's this for a juicy headline to give you clicker's remorse, "Carli Lloyd skips Man City game to promote FIFA in Bahrain". It's not quite as it seems – she missed the Bristol City game, which was rescheduled after the trip was arranged. Whether the club knew it would play out like that, well, who can say :)

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 04:57:03 PM »
Hopefully a good game it's a bit of a shop window for the sport.   Hoping for a Brum win just because they are the underdogs.

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 10:41:55 AM »

Well, blow me down, they've sold heaps of tickets. There should be over 35,000 at the game, which is pretty great:

Sold is not totally accurate  ;), there is a good number of freebies in those 35k.

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »
Sold is not totally accurate  ;), there is a good number of freebies in those 35k.

Well yes :) Sold-slash-tossed to someone.

Do you just mean freebies for U16s, or are there a lot of corporates and FA guests too?

FA says last year "nearly half" the tickets were for the bambini... For this year the crowd number has risen again, 38,000 now.
-
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 10:04:35 PM by sbahnhof »

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 03:44:00 AM »
Interviews/previews

The players have been doing the rounds in the media, with many media outlets covering the match. The Independent covers the final and the Notts County saga from the viewpoint of Birmingham's ex-Notts striker Ellen White. The Guardian's article focuses on the disparity in funding between Birmingham and Man City, interviewing Birmingham general manager Heather Cowan.

Steph Houghton says a Cup win as captain would mean more to her than her Wembley goal against Brazil in the Olympics, BT Sport has video interviews with players from both clubs, and the Manchester Evening News looks back on Man City's last Cup defeat, in the 2016 semi-final at Chelsea.

And probably the most moving clip, in an interview with Sue Lopez - www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p052s27v - 'I never thought the Women's FA Cup final would reach Wembley'. Lopez was a winner in the first Anglo-Scottish final in 1971 with Southampton, and won the FA Cup nine times.

What time's it on TV? Kodi illegal livestream?

Fire up your Kodis at 5pm, although it is on BBC Two as well.

It'll also be streamed in the UK here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/38395384 - plus local radio (BBC WM and Radio Manchester).

Steph Houghton and Team GB, Wembley 2012
(pic: Gary Howden, cc-by)

Other games today include Doncaster v Villa in WSL2 (3pm) and Man City's men at home (12:15). 5 live is covering rugger and men's football so will only have updates from the women's final.

I hadn't realized that this game was a kind of turning point in women's football TV coverage:

Birmingham v Chelsea, 2012 FA Women's Cup Final
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-DDAVZtUvI

A tweet this week said "FA Womens Cup Final on Saturday will go to penalties & the TV company will turn off the transmission during the spot kicks...been done B4"... Sky did do that in the 2012 final, and put the pens on the red button. It was Sky's last final for some reason :) In the event, I'm sure BBC would just delay the next show and drop Dad's Army, causing outrage.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:00:11 AM by sbahnhof »

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 10:05:58 PM »
Fire up your Kodis at 5pm, although it is on BBC Two as well.

The match is available to watch here for a month:

- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08r8l4t

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »
Here are the highlights:

- www.youtube.com/watch?v=T87hOYojklM

What did everyone think of Birmingham's constant overlong-ball tactic? Not claiming to understand anything about tactics, but I don't think that really paid off.

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »
Final attendance was 35,271. Good write-up of the game by Sylvain here:

- https://mywomensfootball.wordpress.com/2017/05/14/manchester-city-v-birmingham-city/

What was really surprising to me was the manner in which the three first half goals were conceded. Three errors that you do not normally associate with Birmingham City.

There's a slightly longer highlights edit with extra BCWFC parts. Also interviews with the managers and with the players, plus REACTION videos with Birmingham's Mark Skinner, Kerys Harrop and Charlie Wellings.