Author Topic: squad selection  (Read 487 times)

Offline croc

• View Profile
squad selection
« on: April 04, 2017, 08:10:25 AM »
Unusual approach to squad selection is getting some media attention - Aluko not happy.   I'm all for the manager having final say on how he runs it so to that extent it's his call but I can't help feel if Southgate did this with the men he'd be absolutely slaughtered in the media.   

It does seem that England women are moving even further towards being a closed system from youth level upwards and now right through to the tournaments.    The FA England DNA stuff has been written off for the men but maybe this is a kind of experiment where they feel they can almost bring up players in a style of play and almost create a parallel Team England with their own style of physical conditioning, tactics, psychology etc.

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
Re: squad selection
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:07:49 AM »
I agree with Aluko on the England squad- he clearly doesnt like her although she top scored last season and is the one in form. Better to pick injured players now so that they can gel with the squad and bond. He clearly is aggravated a Aluko is cleverer than he is.

Aluko's comments on the squad and the Euros - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39486235

Sadly, but unsurprisingly, she hasn't spoken to the manager for a year. Belgium in April 2016 was her last call-up, wasn't it?

About the squad itself:

Four players are set to make their tournament debuts [...] Manchester City defender Demi Stokes, midfielder Isobel Christiansen and striker Nikita Parris plus Chelsea's Millie Bright.

Alex Greenwood, Fran Kirby and Jo Potter are also in, despite currently being out with long-term injuries.

Eniola Aluko, Rachel Daly, Gemma Davison and Claire Rafferty miss out.

Sampson's squad includes 19 players from the 2015 World Cup, and there are no players aged under 23.

Aluko v Montegro in 2014
(pic: James Boyes, cc-by)

"Closed system" sounds right, certainly for the England squad – and a move like this looks quite conservative and insular. It's okay if they're getting results, but we'll have to wait three months to really find out.

Even if he'd left 2 or 3 slots free until later, it would've been a nice gesture.