Author Topic: RIP Martin Reagan, England manager  (Read 580 times)

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
RIP Martin Reagan, England manager
« on: January 14, 2017, 05:52:02 AM »
Martin Reagan passed away a few weeks ago, aged 92.

Reagan managed England from 1979 to 1990 for 96 matches, having also been at several clubs as a player. In the '80s he noticed the early potential of women's football in the US, where he went to work after losing the England job. As a young man he was a WW2 tank commander, and had some very sad experiences during the war.

Tributes from colleagues including Hope Powell:

Powell said: “Martin was a real gentleman and a lovely human being.

“He tried to move the women’s game forward at a time when resources were minimal. He did his job for the love of the game and made the best of what we had at the time.

“It was a difficult job because the team had nothing compared to what it has these days.

“He was well regarded and well respected by the players. As a coach, he was far more knowledgeable than most of us in the squad had experienced before. He managed things very well and made it more professional. We were considered one of the best teams in Europe.

“He was a big influence on my career because he gave me that opportunity to play international football.

“That opened up a whole new world to me and made me decide that I wanted a career in professional football.”