Author Topic: Recruitment to play football at a USA university  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Bananas

• View Profile
Re: Recruitment to play football at a USA university
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »
I just want to clarify about the issue of when US coaches can contact you by email or phone. Division 1 coaches can email you directly after 1 Sept of year 12. Before year 12, they can email you only via a third party, but they can't contact you directly either by phone or email. My daughter's PE teacher kindly agreed to receive emails from US coaches (when my daughter was 15 years old and in year 11) and then he forwarded them to us. My daughter could then reply by email directly to the US coach. US coaches can't phone you until 1 July before year 13, but you can phone them at any point. It's a crazy system but there are ways around it.

Going with a recruitment agency can definitely simplify things, but your choice of university will be limited to the ones they have links with. Some of them have lots of good links with US coaches, so it's worthwhile to compare agencies so that your daughter has the best chance of going to the school she wants.

Offline Welsh May

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 03:58:01 PM »
I have just bought the book recommended in the message trail above and that is really useful as it explains all this stuff and it varies depending on the 'league' ..... So thanks for that and suggest if you're going that route, it's a useful purchase .........

Offline Maytime

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 04:23:33 PM »
How does this work...I mean the selection process.  Are the colleges looking for those with very good grades, very good at football or both?

Offline Bananas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 05:06:33 PM »
How does this work...I mean the selection process.  Are the colleges looking for those with very good grades, very good at football or both?

That is a very good, but complicated question and I'm afraid that the only answer is that it depends on the uni. Some are highly competitive academically (such as the Ivy League unis and certain colleges), and others are barely selective at all. You can look at https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges but it only tells a partial story.

You can find out about how competitive a uni is in soccer by looking at the NCAA website at http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-women/d1. Div 1 schools have the most scholarship money for soccer, but you might want to also look at the other divisions since they can perhaps give academic scholarships or needs-based scholarships. Definitely look at each school's conference ranking, too, since that is important. (Each school will belong to a conference within their division).

I made a shortlist by cross referencing schools that were right for my daughter's academic and soccer level. My thinking is that 4 years is a long time to spend at a school if it's not the right one, so research is vital, even if you choose to go with a recruitment agency.

Offline Unitedsportsusa

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 04:36:09 PM »
My name is Andy Shakarji, I am the head soccer consultant at United Sports USA, one of the leading US sport scholarship consultancies in the UK. I have enjoyed reading the threads on this Forum and it is great to see so much interest in the US route. having been a former student in America it was one of the best decisions i ever made. My role now is to educate players, parents and coaches on the opportunity of playing soccer in the States and our company put players through each step of the process.

Should any of you want to find out more information about the process and the opportunity itself for your son or daughter please feel free to contact me at 0141 332 0690 or 07808047925 and I would be more than happy to help.

Thanks

Andy

Offline mikeyfaz

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
What age do they go uni in the USA.?

Offline Bananas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 10:38:13 AM »
What age do they go uni in the USA.?
The usual age is 18 (i.e. right after A-levels) but some start 1-2 years later because of gap years, etc.