Author Topic: County Squads and RTC's  (Read 5032 times)

Offline croc

• View Profile
Re: County Squads and RTC's
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »
For females u14 then u16, though don't think they all enter an u14s.   There are more age groups for the lads.   

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 12:02:38 PM »
National final live on youtube this afternoon!! 

Ps - haven't checked but I was told it was

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 10:30:20 PM »
Derbyshire 2 Sussex 0, the youtube stream was very patchy and they've taken the video down now so maybe didn't work ?   Meant to be a one sided game could have been more than 2 and Sussex didn't threaten though I've not seen it myself. 

Offline Welsh May

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 05:25:15 AM »
And will meet Notts in the final now as won 3-1 v Staffs last night at St Georges Park. So demonstrates a team with a number of strong grass roots players can match those with predominantly RTC players given Notts recent string of wins, Leics have 5/6 England linked players in its midst? Team spirit counts for a lot ........

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 09:01:09 AM »
Yes i've no doubt there are players in grassroots who are better than their RTC equivalents but the RTCs (round here at least) don't actively scout or even ask grassroots coaches if they have anyone who they should consider for an extended trial ( a couple of hours in June when you don't know anyone isn't a guide).   

The real problem for the grassroots players will come when they look for an u18 squad and the WPL side is asking what RTC/England/Regional experience they have on the trial form and advertising it as an exit route for RTC players - it just gives the impression of a closed system when sport should be a meritocracy.   

Offline Welsh May

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 08:47:28 AM »
From our experience of trials, players who know each other can simply play to each other and its hard for a sole outsider to break through. I agree with you about going to train for a few weeks with an RTC prior to the summer trials is the best way of showing what you can do. Doesn't always go down well with the club you're at. One of my daughter was at a very well known grass roots club who actively discouraged players from progressing?. So not always easy. But if you want your daughter to build fitness and create a pathway futurewise (not necessarily England etc wise), it remains the best route still .....

Agree on your other point too. Derbyshire (who have a couple of England named players 1 only picked up this year) will meet Notts with no International linked players playing in their squad (their 1 international, was injured some weeks ago). They meet in the East/West Midlands Cup Final ..... which means these two teams have passed Worcs, Staffs, Leics who all have a number of England/Ireland/Wales, etc squad members (u15s-u17s)....  think that also says something ................. And mirrors what I have commented on before, about 'who' is sending players up to NPC/EPCs? and supports your comment about the general lack of scouting. Because clearly some players are being bypassed? ........ and given our England u17s and u16s results in recent tournaments, the FA people need to open up their vision to girls beyond those recommended by RTC coaches. Coaches do have favourites you know! Appreciate the pathways take time to develop but it all needs to be more open minded ....

Offline Bananas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 01:26:50 PM »
I can't comment at all re how players are selected for EPC/NPC/international squad but it's not true to say that the u16 squad hasn't performed well in recent tournaments since they've done really well. They won the February UEFA development tournament against Spain, Italy and Finland. The recent eight nations tournament, organised by Italy, was clearly stacked to ensure Italy did well by having Italy put in the easiest of the two groupings.. Although England did come fifth in the tournament, this doesn't reflect how well they really did, because their grouping was made up of teams that all decisively won their final matches against each team in Italy's grouping. This isn't an excuse for coming fifth, but you have to look beyond that to judge true performance.

Offline pool47

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 03:33:07 PM »
All the comments are interesting to read and their is merit in all of them as there's no consistency across the board which, for me, implies lack of direction from the FA. Some RTCs have favourites, some will give all players a fair crack. Some will support County football some actively discouraged players from taking part. The perception that RTCS have the best players is not​ correct, yes they put players on the pathway and develop them but as has been said there is no scouting process. If you go to lads tournaments at the end of season they are crawling with scouts. In my experience that doesn't happen with the girls.

In the past 12 months my daughter's grassroots team have had the opportunity to test themselves in friendly fixtures against a tier 3 RTC and an ACC and have acquitted themselves well with a draw against the former and an odd goal defeat against the latter. If a scout had turned up to watch these games without knowing which team was which it would have taken a while to figure out. In my view that while great strides are being made and more doors open for the girls there's much more that can be done.

Offline Welsh May

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
Seems to me there needs to be a way of recommending that a player is looked at from outside of RTCs, which has to be verified by at least two other independent manager/coaches/local FA or county rep squad manager perhaps. It happened with Niamh Cushin who only played with boys and she played was then picked up for England u15s Schools and England u16s in one year. But there should be a clear pathway...... which has a process to it so England coaches are un-indated with lots of players they would never be able to get out to?

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2017, 08:50:56 AM »
Derbyshire beat Notts 5-4 in a bit of a thriller last night, coming from 4-2 down and hitting the full face of the bar 4 times before getting the winner late on.   Some good attacking play from both sides.

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 10:40:26 AM »
Just FYI, I was talking to an England scout at a recent RTC game and he was bemoaning the fact that they didn't have the time or resources to get to more games outside the RTC pathway. They are mostly volunteers who get paid expenses for a limited number of games so obviously they have to prioritise the games where there is the most potential talent on display. They do sometimes get to the latter rounds of the ESFA county cups and occasionally a schools final or 2 but they are completely unable to follow up on a tip-off about some single individual at a grassroots club. The only way to be sure of putting yourself in the frame is to play in those games that have several girls who could be good enough. I'm sure we'd all like The FA to spend lots more money sending people all over the country to look at "missed individuals" but realistically they invest this money in the RTCs and hope that they are far-sighted enough to attract the local talent themselves.

Offline Proudmum

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 09:31:48 AM »
RTC players shouldn't play County, for a start the games are generally the same day as my daughter who plays in RTC said she would not chose county over RTC so really the county should be for grassroots and let them have a chance to play different football from local team....

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2018, 12:07:25 PM »
Think it depends on the county schools FA, got a feeling it's u14 but definitely u16 though some don't enter.  My county haven't this year which is a shame as I coach two players who would have really deserved the chance to play with and against RTC players.   

Offline dirkvanadidas

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2018, 11:44:29 AM »
old regime (TD) at rtc wouldnt allow players to play county, one did and was out of the system until regime change.
Funnily enough she is currently a  better player than the 2 england players., very composed and will rarely  play a long diagonal into the channel (hit and hope).

Offline Proudmum

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2018, 03:32:13 PM »
 County start from under 14 for girls. my daughter didn't trial for county as she is in an RTC and the matches are generally the Saturday and her matches for RTC'S are the Saturday! Was mentioned about Surrey not having RTC girls and Chelsea RTC being on the doorstep. A lot of RTC players travel to get to the RTC and the county they play for would be where they attend school regardless of where you live. Not sure if there is more but we know one Chelsea player in Berkshire County Team, 2 Reading in Middlesex one and one in Berkshire.. . Should it be for non RTC players then yes I think so especially as RTC games are the Saturdays and it does give the girls in grass roots that can travel to RTC's that chance to be seen etc....

Offline mikeyfaz

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 10:34:47 AM »
Is u14 based on school year. Or is it aligned to calendar year.

Offline Proudmum

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2018, 10:55:39 PM »
Under 14 is year 8 and year 9

Offline Richhutcho

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2018, 08:12:22 AM »
How does the u14s currently work

I’ve noticed sometimes there’s a few weeks inbetween fixtures on fa full time for our older age groups

Is there no league in the first phase of the season?