Author Topic: Regional Talent Club to Replace Centre of Excellence  (Read 46782 times)

Offline Wingwizzard

• View Profile
Re: Regional Talent Club to Replace Centre of Excellence
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »
Tier 1 Licence:

Arsenal Ladies FC
Birmingham City Ladies FC
Blackburn Rovers Ladies
Brighton & Hove Albion
Leeds United
Leicester City
Liverpool Ladies FC
Manchester City Women
Manchester United
Oxford United FC
Southampton FC
Sunderland
York City FC Foundation

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/fawsl/2016/apr/fa-licenses-awarded-for-new-regional-talent-clubs#hxHKf0G8UWC8V7f3.99

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2016, 12:25:30 PM »
“We understand that some players may be impacted geographically by these changes but we will work with them and their parents to find the right playing and development opportunities for them, as we want to keep the best female players in the game."

Are they sure ?  :P

Offline eddie

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2016, 01:00:58 PM »
Well the lunatics have taken over the asylum!

My husband has just texted me to say the lists were on the FA website and I expected an either/or for tier 1 for the 2 centres we live close to - Leeds and York.

They have both been given tier 1, which is great for us, that is if you want to play tier 1, but Greater London has only one tier 1 centre - Arsenal???

How is this is going to bring the best girls together?
Still Sunderland v Southampton/Brighton is going to be interesting!!!!
Get ready for setting the alarm at 4am parents!!

Offline interested

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2016, 01:37:38 PM »
Makes a mockery of most of the England players being from the South of England! :P

Offline interested

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2016, 01:42:55 PM »
Well the lunatics have taken over the asylum!

My husband has just texted me to say the lists were on the FA website and I expected an either/or for tier 1 for the 2 centres we live close to - Leeds and York.

They have both been given tier 1, which is great for us, that is if you want to play tier 1, but Greater London has only one tier 1 centre - Arsenal???

How is this is going to bring the best girls together?
Still Sunderland v Southampton/Brighton is going to be interesting!!!!
Get ready for setting the alarm at 4am parents!!

That will be midweek :)

Offline eddie

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2016, 01:55:55 PM »
Yes probably midweek ha ha!

Lets hope it doesn't clash with the 3 nights a week they want them for training!
Good luck with your GCSE's girls!

Offline interested

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »
Yes probably midweek ha ha!

Lets hope it doesn't clash with the 3 nights a week they want them for training!
Good luck with your GCSE's girls!

Plenty of time for revision on the coach :)

Offline Barking_Mad

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2016, 02:29:11 PM »
Of course, these are just my own opinions :

1. the lunatics have been in charge of the asylum for some time now.
2. Neither Geography nor, indeed, Women's Football has ever been among the FA's strong subjects
3. if those naughty lionesses had not done quite so well in the World Cup, they might not have had to take such drastic steps.
4. If we don't all pipe down, they may even have to consider an outright ban. 
5. What's the betting we will be down to just Tier 1 in a few years time ? It would make the FA's life a lot simpler.

;)

Offline RFA

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2016, 03:26:32 PM »
Those are very negative sentiments from Barking_Mad. I have really tried to look at all of this positively but I am struggling not to come to similar conclusions !

Very little mention in all of this about the other issue which is that to accommodate these changes, twice as many players are being ejected from the academies than is usually the case this year. The FA have largely abandoned a whole year of players.

Offline Suoerbug

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2016, 07:54:35 PM »
To be fair there is at least going to be a decent set of fixtures for all concerned. Presuming under 16s will be in a league and the under 14s will be uncompetitive as such.

Going on current sides / form from what I have seen in the past then tier two looks to have some decent outfits in it.

Offline villan

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2016, 02:13:36 PM »
Hi,

First post from me  :D

At the match this morning rumour was that Chelsea had gone for Tier 1, but had messed up the paperwork! Hence only Arsenal from London in Tier 1.

Obviously disappointed that Villa, who are generally very competitive at U9-U17, failed in their bid for Tier 1 status. Sounds like Birmingham City ticked the right FA boxes, when it came to linking education & feeder clubs, maybe Villa were just too complacent?

Cheers,

Villan   

Offline Barking_Mad

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2016, 12:44:30 PM »
Hi all,
has anyone else heard anything about some sort of restriction imposed by the FA regarding recontracting of players into the new RTC set up?
It was suggested on saturday that the FA has said that the existing COEs can only offer new contracts to a handful of their current players and the rest will have to re-trial regardless of how well they have performed throughout the season.
I can see why the FA might have done this because of the effect of changing the age groupings. For instance, my daughter plays for U13s and in the COE system 6 or 7 players would have moved up to U15s, but now they will stay with the same squad at U14s. Only 1 player will have to drop down to U12s and there are 2 to drop down from U15s to U14s. This is assuming that all would get a new contract.
This peculiar situation will only occur this season but it makes it very unfair for players and coaches alike. New girls trialing for the first time will be up against a host of current COE players, most of whom are only there because the FA are playing a numbers game, and I'm sure for some COE players it will be a mere formality prior to getting recontracted. Afterall, what are the coaches going to see over three trial sessions that they haven't assessed over the previous season(s). As for newbie trialists, if they get selected  then they really do deserve their place.
For any current COE players that get released (hate that term, sounds like they're doing you a favour) there's going to be that thought of was it because of lack ability or to please the FA.

I haven't heard any rumours to that effect, but it would not surprise me. 

In the areas where there is a choice - like in the North West - there will surely be a scramble to the Tier 1 clubs as the perception will be that in order to get on the girls would have to be playing in a Tier 1 setup. 

We lived through the last 'cull' and the scramble for places was not very pretty.  It doesn't look good if access for 'outsiders' to an RTC is restricted to a handful (sometimes only one or two) places, whilst the existing players stay put.  The FA might want it to appear more 'open' and 'fair'.

In practise, this is what happens every year (in my experience) with far too many girls trialling for far too few places.  The only difference this year will be the scramble for Tier 1 status as opposed to the 'lesser' levels.

Offline Boot cleaner

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2016, 01:52:04 PM »
We have seen it from both sides.  One year a COE place was offered for the following season before the trials, another year we knew it was trial and see what happens.  I know which one I prefer.

Even with a rule saying no early offers, as you say, the COEs already know their core squad for the next season and are only looking to fill a handful of places.  To be fair, the parents watching from the sidelines should also know.  The cruel reality is that for most people trials are a complete waste of time and it is time that the COEs/RTCs cleaned up their act were more open about the process.

Throw into the mix the fact that some COEs use coaching staff who run their own football skill sessions and you can see that some trialists have a better chance of impressing the coaches than others.

The London area is going to be particularly brutal this summer with the demise of Middlesex and I think we can safely assume that the 90 minute rule will be interpreted liberally (i.e. ignored).  It was a great shame that Denham/Fulham didn't apply/weren't successful.  You can't blame parents willing to put in the journey time but it can't be a good thing for any sporty girl to spend so much time in the car.  Ours is now old enough to get the train to training but even that can be a challenge given that the rail network wasn't designed with football training in mind and it isn't an ideal environment for doing homework.

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »
I didn't know they actually had places sewn up before the trials - so in effect if they've offered all their midfielders a place and you turn up and say you play midfield so they look at you in that position your chances of getting in are nil unless you are the female Messi ?     

Offline higson

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2016, 02:19:42 PM »
Yes.
Apparently one prominent centre in the SE has already offered 13 of their 14 players in the U13 squad places for next year.

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »
I would ask why but I don't suppose there is an answer to that, not one that makes sense anyway. 

Offline Boot cleaner

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
I think one factor is that there is actually a fairly limited number of players at the COE standard in any one age group, especially when you get into the older years.  If we are talking about certain positions like GK and striker this is even more marked.

Sure players develop at different rates but bar the odd exception if a girl isn't at or around the required standard by 14 or 15 then it isn't going to happen for them.  Don't forget that the girls can only get to training with parental support so that also limits the numbers available to choose from.

Another point to bear in mind with the older girls is that, very depressingly, you also see quite a few drop out of team sport in the teenage years. I don't think girls football is as badly affected as some sports but it is still a factor.

As a result you tend to see the same group of players at the trials each summer.  It follows that the COEs appreciate that although many may attend the pool they will be choosing from is not particularly large.  They also tend to know the best players in their region.  If that isn't enough the question on the registration form asking for a list of previous clubs is there to help them assess likely skill levels.

So all in all it shouldn't really be too surprising that they are just looking for a few players each year especially when you get to the U14 and older groups.

Offline Trickie

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2016, 11:08:47 AM »
Hi Everyone - We're new to this and I have no idea what to expect so looking for advice please?
My daughter is u9 this season and hoping to go for trials in the NW area.  We have been approached at games/tournaments several times over the last year but never seem to hear back from anyone, possibly because of the focus on the RTC applications, maybe not?

We were excited about the RTCs but the more I read about it the more worried I am about the trial process and what chance she has before she even goes.

She will be U10, is it likely that there will be a lot of places already gone to existing players or is it quite open at this age?  She just loves playing football as they all do!

Thanks in advance

Offline mikeyfaz

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2016, 01:25:31 PM »
Trickie

let me tell you what I know and this is factual for U10s.

Not sure where you are in NW, but Man Utd have offered places to a handful at u10, rest is all trials. Man City have offered no places and all is trial based.

Offline Trickie

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2016, 01:52:58 PM »
great thank you both for replying.  I think we will go along and she'll do her best and if it's a no as you say, great experience for next time.

I've struggled to find the trial times at the moment, only seen LFC, are they out yet for EFC, Man City and Man Utd?

Many thanks again