Author Topic: England v Germany  (Read 4524 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
England v Germany
« on: November 07, 2014, 12:15:27 PM »
55,000 For Wembley Clash
England women's match against Germany at Wembley will be a record attendance, having sold 55,000 tickets.

An FA statement reads:

However, as a result of longstanding planned engineering works taking place on the day of the game, impacting transport options, we have sought ongoing advice on crowd numbers and have taken the decision to cap ticket sales at the current number.

A significant increase in ticket sales since last Monday, where we were at 33,000 tickets, coupled with our ongoing review of transport capacity, has accelerated the capping of the game.

To have achieved ticket sales of 55,000 shows just how big an audience there is for women's football and what a landmark occasion it will be for the women's game.

There were limited options in the calendar for this fixture and the date remains the best opportunity to play world class opposition at Wembley Stadium despite the restrictions.

By capping the capacity we can ensure that fans have the best match day experience possible in and around Wembley Stadium.

The FA will honour any existing bookings that are awaiting processing.

We apologise to anyone who will be disappointed by this announcement, but taking into account previous similar experiences such as the England-Andorra fixture in 2009, where a crowd of 58,000 were present, we believe this to be a sensible decision based on the latest travel advice.

The Bakerloo line will be running at full service and the Chiltern rail service into Wembley Stadium station is operating with additional trains. More information can be found at www.wembleystadium.com.

http://www.shekicks.net/news/view/10863

So they admit knowing all about the the transport problems in advance. That's probably why there's a full League programme planned for the same Sunday. Couldn't possibly plan for pyramid players and supporters to have a chance to see such a prestige match. That would have been unthinkable!!

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Re: England v Germany
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 05:50:38 AM »
55,000 tickets have been sold for the England-Germany friendly at Wembley and no more tickets are being sold.  Since the England team qualified for the World Cup in Canada with ten straight wins and a 52-1 goal difference, interest in women's football in the football island has rocketed.

On Sunday 23rd November England will meet Germany at Wembley in London.  It's the first time the women's team has played at New Wembley and it looks like a big success already long before the kickoff.

On Thursday the FA announced that the match is sold out.  Even though the stadium itself can take 90,000, the FA has decided that 55,000 is the most that the transport system can take on the day.  "We apologise to all those who are disappointed but we look back to previous matches like England-Andorra in 2009.  There were 58,000 there and we think this is a good decision based on previous transport advice", they said in a press release.  "To have sales of 55,000 now shows the level of public interest in women's football and how big a milestone this is for the sport".

It should be remembered that the Great Britain Olympic team has a higher record of 70,584 when they played Brazil in 2012, which also took place at Wembley.  The 55,000 record for England-Germany beats the gate that England's men drew for their match against Norway in September, when a crowd of 40,181 turned out.  This can be compared with 41,301 at last year's women's European Cup Final between Norway and Germany in Sweden.

The match will be covered by BBC2 TV.

Andreas Kristoffer Berge http://fotballmagasinet.no/?mode=news&id=28244
Photos from Fotballmagasinet's last visit to an England match earlier in the year:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151938683201626.1073741841.354088481625&type=1
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:27:24 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 05:44:56 PM »
For those who want to welcome the German team in London they are landing at 3pm at Heathrow terminal 2 as per the website.

The Cabbage

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 11:05:33 AM »
Just like the men, the women sail through their qualifying group for the World Cup playing minnows and concede hardly a goal and then they come up against real opposition and get found out. Germany were not even at full strength but they outclassed, outmuscled and outplayed England for the most part.

England put out a very attack minded team and Duggan didn't look happy in her deeper role but the midfield and defence looked at sixes and sevens and unable to cope with the direct running of the Germans.

A lot of work to be done between now and the plastic world cup in Canada if they are not to emulate the boys in Brazil.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 02:42:30 PM »
we held our own 2nd half, for me wrong team choice, too many attacking players based on previous successes.
I do believe that the germans were physically stronger though.
I also think that certain super hoofers shouldn't be in the team. I was impressed with a couple of players though.

Offline happyfeet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »
Disappointed that a high profile match for Womens football ended in a poor result probably due to the wrong tactics to start with and poor subs capped off by sending, late on, a centre back to play a centre forward when there were better striking options on the bench 

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 05:49:05 PM »
Bad tactics or players not suited to it and not implementing it properly.

Offline Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 05:51:10 PM »
Let's hope they really learn something from this game (and it's not just another 'manager's sound bite'). For me the big difference was maintaining possession. The Germans looked to hold onto the ball even in tight areas at the back while England gave the ball away cheaply and played too many long balls from the back.

The Cabbage

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 07:20:58 PM »
Sampson never was the man for England- in-experienced at international level and regardless of what he achieved at club level , out of his depth against the proper international teams.

Powell would have gone unbeaten in their qualifying group.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 08:00:13 PM »
I don't think Powell would have such a varied team and would have lost several of the previous matches, I think the managers team selection wasn't sound.

The Cabbage

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 04:19:26 PM »
Don't believe that Powell,would have dropped any points in the qualifying group even with her questionable tactics and team selection.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 05:57:35 PM »
even though she dropped 2 points in her last world cup qualifiers? ,plus i believe we got 20 ish more goals this time. i didn't support mark sampson appointment, but there again i wasnt asked. :o

The Cabbage

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
Yeah , I know she did but this group was particularly weak and England didn't really have to break sweat in any match. Scoring lots of goals is great for the fans but it doesn't help the team when they come up against a proper nation. Tactically the Germans were far superior , having said that , if Duggans shot goes in it's a different storty.

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 10:38:34 PM »
Was out for a walk today and realized I don't get it, or even close.

German men are WC defending champions and have been in four straight semi-finals.  England haven't been in a semi-final in 25 years.

German women have won two of the past three WC's.  England have never gone past a quarter.

Pardon me for being a stunned North American but what is the difference?  The choices seem to be you either pull the plug or start chopping heads off.

The Cabbage

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 09:49:51 AM »
Was out for a walk today and realized I don't get it, or even close.

German men are WC defending champions and have been in four straight semi-finals.  England haven't been in a semi-final in 25 years.

German women have won two of the past three WC's.  England have never gone past a quarter.

Pardon me for being a stunned North American but what is the difference?  The choices seem to be you either pull the plug or start chopping heads off.

In light of recent events in the middle east, your last comment is very ill-advised and in extremely bad taste.

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »
There you go, cultural context.  Never even thought of it, and I'm North American where they tend to source more from.  Perhaps we are desensitized by being through it many times.

Still wondering what is the deal between the tale of two countries.

UPDATE:  just received a sermon from someone on a soapbox demanding I delete my message or contact the families of the two Americans and British men who were recently beheaded.  I'm not sure why those four and not the full 33 and it seems disingenuous to the 18 Syrians.  Had I said line them up would it be disrespectful to the thousands who Isis have shot? 

Again, the comment had 0.000000000% to do with anything in the news and was a turn of phrase for firing people.  If that's lost on anyone, there you go.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:53:06 PM by law10 »

Offline WFA

• View Profile
    • Women's Football Archive
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 10:17:15 PM »
Apologies for long post/rant:

I like Sampson and want him to do well, BUT the fact is he's landed a big job very early in his coaching career and has his work cut out.

His first year at Bristol they finished plum last with three wins from 22. Partly due to budget cuts which saw off their best players (and the previous coach), but still... three wins all season. Then they reached the 2011 Cup final but only had to beat two lower division teams to find themselves in the semi, against what was then a weak Liverpool side. There was the two runners-up medals in 2013, his fourth season in the women's game. Before that I think his background was recreational football in Wales with his mates.

Certainly very promising but it's four seasons. Four seasons without winning anything: surely the England job should be the pinnacle?

All the best football managers are renowned purveyors of 'blarney', and Mark has shown great promise in this area. We enjoyed more possession and shots against Germany on Sunday than in our previous 19 matches, we were informed. How does Mark know this? Has he used his knowledge and contacts to sniff out obscure footage of Italian 'Mundialito' matches from the 1980s?

Hope Powell obviously fell out with a few people down the years, but she'd spent literally a lifetime in women's football. She was our Silvia Neid or Pia Sundhage. Her own woman, sure, but for better or worse a continuous link to the earlier efforts of Ted Copeland and Martin Reagan. With all due respect she's forgotten more than Mark will likely ever know about the women's game.

Hope was treated shoddily in the end with various TV commentators like Guy Mowbray and Jonathan Pearce practically demanding her removal on air. They wouldn't dare editorialise against a men's coach, but got on their soap box to aim cheap pot-shots at Hope. Incidentally, Pearce's insistence on calling Babett Peter "Peter Babett" on Sunday was truly a facepalm moment, but we'll let him off in the hope it was an isolated incident.

As for HP's old sidekick Brent Hills, how on earth did he beat her to the 'Head of Elite Development' gig? From the outside looking in, he was very much a yes man. The Phil Neal to Hope's Graham Taylor, if you like. Again time will tell but it looks suspiciously like the FA binned the organ grinder and promoted the monkey!

In terms of the game, Germany were vastly better in every area with England's defence looking very disjointed at times. Skipper Steph Houghton has only been a centre-half for a year or so. Before that she was a left-back, and a year or so before that she was a midfielder. She started out as a striker! Germany's rock-solid Annike Krahn, on the other hand, evokes the old line from Paolo Montero: "I was born a defender, I'll die a defender".

Demi Stokes has been used as a left-back by Sampson when she was a winger or forward for Sunderland and her clubs in America. I'm not saying she isn't a very capable young player and can't one day become a left-back but it's a steep learning curve. Anyway, is international football really the best place to be learning a new position? Kevin Kilbane played a few games for Ireland at left-back, with decidedly mixed results.

Lucy Bronze, too. At the second goal she was a centre-half engaging in full-back behavior, just for a split second, by backing off the galloping Sasic. Losing her bearings and showing her 'down the line', perhaps. Against a complete centre-forward (of the sort we lack) it had fatal consequences. The otherwise-excellent Bronze was probably England's best player on the day, one of the few who didn't resemble a sparrow at vulture feeding time.

Alex Scott was the only player in the back four playing in her natural position. But let's have no patronising rubbish about deflections, she leapt high in the air, strained her neck muscles and thumped a meaty header past her own goalie! Under heavy pressure: unfortunate but it happens. Scott is still a fine player but is not at the world-class level she was at while full-time with Boston Breakers a few years ago. It's inevitable there'd be some regression after coming back to her comfort zone with fallen giants Arsenal, where they still train just TWO nights a week.

It wasn't all the defence's fault: Williams provided a bizarre slide-rule assist for Sasic's first goal, with the German ace jogging unmolested through an Anita Asante-shaped hole in the England midfield.

It must be said some England players are apparently guilty of believing their own hype. It's all very well milking the plaudits after walking in ten or more goals past Outer Mongolia, but clearly it's no preparation for when they come up against top, top opposition.

Karen Carney 'shushing' BBC3 pundit Mickey Gray after scoring against Turkey, or Montenegro, or somebody (?), was a particularly cringeworthy example. A bewildered looking Gray must have severely bruised some delicate egos when he called Euro 2013 as he saw it several months previously. In one of these farcical televised qualifiers the opposition goalkeeper tried to save everything with her feet, as if she'd been assigned the position for the very first time on the morning of the match. So a couple of goals here didn't really erase the spectre of the Euro collapse, or disprove a word Gray had said.

Kaz is probably the best player in the world - when you're 3-0 up and coasting - when all the flicks, tricks and party pieces come out. A strangely subdued Sweden at Hartlepool in sunny August springs to mind. But, by her own admission, she's notoriously worse than a player short when chasing the game and the going gets tough. Although to be fair on Sunday she did put in a shift and had the courage to keep showing for the ball even if the Germans didn't let her do much with it. An out-and-out winger, she was another to be handed an unfamiliar role by Sampson.

Last thought: Why wasn't Kelly Smith involved? Injured again? She might be blowing on the embers of her great career now, but on her day she's still our best player by miles and miles. She showed that again recently in the FA Cup Final against Everton and when she put Potsdam to the sword in the UWCL.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
Thank you WFA for a very interesting account of so many aspects of the current regime...a great read, would make a good blog post for 'She Kicks'

I am sure I read something about Mark Sampson working for Swansea City men during Martinez's tenure at the club, but clearly that can't have been for long given his age.

I was not a Powell fan and would ask if she took the national team any further in her time than another manager would have done. at least as regards performance on the field.

Only saw the goals from last Sunday and they were awful, Germany didn't really have to work for any of them.. they were on a par with the goals Wales conceded against England in Cardiff .

Offline davey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 10:21:10 AM »
Great post WFA. I was a bit bewildered by Sampson's tactics/team choice etc as it didn't look like he had a game plan and when things went wrong, reverted to crisis management. Not something you would expect from an experienced national manager.