Author Topic: A Close Shave  (Read 3007 times)

The Cabbage

A Close Shave
« on: October 12, 2014, 09:43:40 PM »
What a thrilling end to the WSL 1 title race- got updates on twitter as goals went in- Are Liverpool Ladies going to become the new Arsenal Ladies and will Chelsea become the new Liverpool men's team......

Only wish the same could be said up North as Glasgow clinched an 8th title in a row- all the best to them, they deserve it but let's at least hope they can turn the 2nd leg of their CL tie around and progress towards the final.

All quiet from Chelsea fans - do they have any ?

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
Re: A Close Shave
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »
All I am gonna it is a huge f up by the FA not to have a replayed the Birmingham v Liverpool game.
Disgrace if the referee can get away with no using the Laws of the game at will. Might as well play with Rugby rules. 

Offline Soccermom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »
I cannot bring myself to congratulate Liverpool on retaining the title as I also believe the Birmingham/Liverpool game should have been replayed due to their "illegal" goal, which allowed them to take all three points from that game.  I heard yesterday (not sure how true it is) that the ref for that game has been removed from refereeing WSL games.  If that is the case, then the FA have validated the fact that he made a big error, in my opinion.  Their failure to do something about it is a huge disappointment, especially as it HAS made a difference to the final league standings

However, I will congratulate Birmingham on what they have achieved this year.  They have a team of young, ENGLISH semi-professional players who have given the full time professionals a run for their money.  Well done Blues Ladies.

The Cabbage

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:59:47 AM »
I am no Liverpool fan but its not their fault if the referee made a mistake, although I am not sure what mistake he made. Ref's make mistakes all the time like sending off players wrongly or giving penalties that were not and sometimes they get demoted but never the game replayed.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:22:29 AM »
the ref doesnt have to blow the whistle, so no replay needed. its extremely dissapointing but there we are.
to the fa womens football is  a nuisance anyway, so no replay was ever going to be considered.
btw, i think bt sport really pulled out the stops with their coverage.
heres to next year.

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 09:44:04 AM »
I am no Liverpool fan but its not their fault if the referee made a mistake, although I am not sure what mistake he made. Ref's make mistakes all the time like sending off players wrongly or giving penalties that were not and sometimes they get demoted but never the game replayed.

Can anyone enlighten me please?
You cannot appeal or change factual decisions but technical error by referees can be changed.
This was a technical error by the referee who did not apply correctly the LOTG :

Use of whistle
The whistle is needed to:
• start play (1st, 2nd half), after a goal

No blame for the Liverpool players at all. The man in black made a huge mistake and the integrity of the competition has been violated. Shame on the FA...

The Cabbage

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:42:19 AM »
oh- my understanding from a qualified FA referee is that the whistle does not have to be blown to re-start but a signal or indication that play resumes is all that is needed.

Any other takers?

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »
yes its been quoted enough times, the whistle only needs to be used to kick off both halves.

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
The FA does not follow the FIFA rules ? Well....

Offline Soccermom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 01:36:32 PM »
So, if the whistle is only used to kick off both halves, what is there to stop any team lining up and kicking off whilst the other team was off celebrating?  If you watched the highlights, the ref was walking past the Liverpool girls and never checked if Birmingham were back in position and did not, in my opinion, give a clear signal that play was resuming.

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 01:52:19 PM »
The referee's body is actually parallel to the middle line facing the touchline and not looking at the Liverpool players who are kicking off.

The Cabbage

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 02:01:17 PM »
no one can get away from the fact that on the final day, the title rested in Chelsea's hands and they blew it. Liverpool were in 3rd and won the title on goal difference. Birmingham also bottled it. The result of Birmingham-Liverpool is never going to be chalked off and so its a lesson for Birmingham to never lose concentration during a game. Fair dues to Liverpool and Fara Williams for using her footballing brain.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 02:03:04 PM by The Cabbage »

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 04:20:49 PM »
I'd be a WSL manager, I would put a player in front of the ball from kick off next season ( until ref tell them to retreat) , to prevent that kind of things. Same as players do to prevent quick free kicks 

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »
no one can get away from the fact that on the final day, the title rested in Chelsea's hands and they blew it. Liverpool were in 3rd and won the title on goal difference. Birmingham also bottled it. The result of Birmingham-Liverpool is never going to be chalked off and so its a lesson for Birmingham to never lose concentration during a game. Fair dues to Liverpool and Fara Williams for using her footballing brain.

for me the crucial moment in Chelsea's downfall was the injury to Marie Hourihan and the need to use an untried sub keeper...no one would have saved Duggan's goal but the first one was rather soft 

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 11:55:43 PM »
broken collarbone, dislocated arm, terrible pain i have no doubt.
i hope she recovers quickly, she has probably had enough of hospitals.

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 05:01:57 AM »
You cannot appeal or change factual decisions but technical error by referees can be changed.

No blame for the Liverpool players at all. The man in black made a huge mistake and the integrity of the competition has been violated. Shame on the FA...

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint) the only referees decisions that can be appealed are disciplinary ones. FIFA Law 5 states: "The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final."

So the referee can be sacked for making a howler but The FA can't do anything about it.

The Cabbage

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 09:39:27 AM »

we wish her well and a speedy recovery.

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »

we wish her well and a speedy recovery.
yes Margie is such a nice person. Chelsea were unlucky that Christiane Endler is injured as well. having a young goalie come in such a important game is bad luck.

The Cabbage

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »
I don't think Chelsea can pin the blame on their last day flop entirely at the hands off the young keeper. Truth is the outfield players bottled it and threw the title away.......Hayes the new Mourinho?- don't think so...................more like the new Rodgers.... ;D ;D

Offline Anita_Shorty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 06:43:48 AM »
Wow. Just Wow. Still don't think my nerves have recovered.
If someone had said, before the game on Sunday that Liverpool would have won the title and be champions again i would have laughed in your face and asked you for a pint of whatever you had been drinking!

Liverpool - Birmingham - it too was my understanding that a whistle is not needed to be blown, but an indication given to start play. If no indication was given he should have immediately ruled out the goal - but he allowed it to stand, and then afterwards said he had made a mistake, why not deal with it there and then?! The argument will rage on for a while yet, should have been replayed, whistle should have been blown, etc etc but i totally agree with the poster above, it was totally in Chelsea's hands and the pressure got to them. Never expected them to drop points at Notts, not loose to City - but watching the BT sport coverage - City were so much more up for it and pushing forward more. Chelsea knew a win would seal them the title - but they didn't play like that was the case until the last 15 mins or so, by which point it was too late.
Birmingham threw everything they could at Carly Telford but she made some awesome saves to keep them out! The Liverpool girls defo owe her a few drinks!
Happy to have won - but feel a lot of it was luck. We haven't played aswell as last season, scored nowhere near as many goals as last season and have been lucky with the way some decisions have gone.