Author Topic: Reading v Sunderland - Tonight 6pm  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
Reading v Sunderland - Tonight 6pm
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:26:46 AM »
Massive game tonight in FAWSL 2. A Reading win would put them right back in contention whilst an SAFC win would have the opposite effect and put them out of it.

I'm fearful for our unbeaten record tbh. Reading are a very decent side and will be well aware that no less than a win will do. Seeing as they're at home too, i'm going (or my head is going) for a narrow Reading win.

My heart tells me my head is stupid though  ;D We went to Doncaster without three major players in the team (including Beth Mead) and two players playing despite having a bug, and still came away with a point. I would take a point now if anyone can arrange that?  :D

Reading 2 Sunderland 1  :(
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
Re: Reading v Sunderland - Tonight 6pm
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »
Very open game, I am looking forward to it. Having seen Reading a couple of times this season, they are improving although their attacking play has not reached maturity yet. They are good on the break and with space in front of them.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 01:43:07 PM »
You going Sylvain? Wish i could be there but it's a canny hike from where i am :(

Should be a good game though and i may have under estimated the amount of goals that will be scored. It's either going to be a close one as i predicted or another 3-2 like earlier in the season at the Hetton Centre  :D
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
Not gonna lie. It was a poor quality game. Both teams won the half they dominated but the fouling count was too high. The referee wad randomly giving them as well. 2 quality goals.
Reading out of the title race and they can only blame themselves. If you are 1-0 up at half time, you dont drop your lebel in tbe 2nd half by 40%

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:49:53 AM »
Aye i was following the SAFC live twitter feed and it sounded like we were under the cosh for the first 20-25 minutes, but then settled into the game. I usually follow both teams twitter feeds for a fair balance but Reading announced before the game they wouldn't be tweeting live for some reason.

Must admit didn't seem like a whole lot happening by the tweets coming through, though at one point it seemed quite end to end.

It did sound like quite a physical game, especially near the end when we seemingly had a few players treated. I noticed Rebekah Bass had to go off on about 85 mins then it seemed only moments later they tweeted that the game had stopped because Sophie Williams was down.

I'm not going to complain about that though, i like that in the game, and Sunderland are a very physical side themselves.

All in all pleased with another point on another tough away day. Not sure i agree Reading are out of it though - if they win their game in hand they are 6 points behind Sunderland with 8 games left, that's not a lot. Although looking at our fixtures and based on the first half of the season if we keep players fit i don't expect to drop many more points. We've still got Donny Belles at home but the rest are very winnable considering our form so far.

30/08/2014   Aston Villa Ladies FC   H              
04/09/2014   Durham Women FC   H              
07/09/2014   London Bees           A                 
14/09/2014   Watford Ladies FC   H              
21/09/2014   Yeovil Town Ladies FC   A                 
04/10/2014   Doncaster Rovers Belles   H              
12/10/2014   Oxford United Women   A           
26/10/2014   Millwall Lionesses           A   

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 12:26:30 AM »
I might be wrong to write Reading off, I had totally forgoten that game in hand Still 6 points would mean 2 defeats for Sunderland and as you mentioned it is not very likely to happen due to previous consistency in the results.

Regarding the physical side of the game, I went to Germany last week to see Bayern v PSG and the first 15 minutes were physical, but after those where they traded blows like 2 boxers, they started playing football. Yesterday games, there was nearly no football at all for  60 of the 90 minutes.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:17:09 AM by sylvain »

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 09:26:02 PM »
Reading was only game I could see Sunderland dropping points in during second half of season prior to Sunderland's return with Doncaster Rovers Belles. Belles visit Reading on Saturday and have to win to stay in contention. Felt Reading had to beat Sunderland to really be considered title contenders.

Went to Sheffield v Coventry in FAWPL on Sunday and that was quite a physical game; nothing nasty, but some robust challenges and it seemed Coventry were very keen to minimise effect Ellie Gilliatt had for Sheffield

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 11:17:38 AM »
Blame the referees who allows the game to turn from frootball to rugby  ;D

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
Aye should be a good game on Saturday Reading v Belles. I'm not sure what i would prefer the outcome to be. A Reading win and winning thier game in hand would bring them to within three points of Sunderland. A Belles win will effectively put Reading out of it i think and reduce it to a two horse race, with the deciding game possibly Sunderland v Belles in October. A draw? Again possibly not enough for Reading, especially if Sunderland beat Villa - they would be 11 points behind Sunderland (with a game in hand).

Anyway all ifs and buts  :P I do think this is last chance saloon for Reading though and feel it's a must win for them to stay in contention.

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 09:24:49 AM »
Sunderland v Villa is played before Reading v Doncaster so Reading and Donnie will know if the gap has increased to 5 and 9 points at kick-off.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »
Aye that's right isn't it Sunderland v  Villa is a 3pm kick off. So they'll both know what they have to do in the Reading game, might add a bit spice to the game.

Not that it really matters i think they'll both know what every possible outcome could mean for their teams anyway, whether Sunderland win, lose or draw.