Author Topic: Wales v England  (Read 3267 times)

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
Wales v England
« on: August 11, 2014, 04:23:27 PM »
Mark Sampson has named his 23-person squad ahead of England’s crucial World Cup qualifier against Wales next Thursday.

England need just a point in Cardiff to qualify for the FIFA Women’s World Cup, which takes place in Canada next summer.

After impressing in the 4-0 friendly victory against Sweden earlier in August, Sampson has kept faith in the game's two debutants and recalled Reading’s Fran Kirby and Jodie Taylor, who plays her football in America with Washington Spirit.

Meanwhile, experienced internationals Casey Stoney and Kelly Smith – who have 207 caps between them – return to the squad after being rested for the fixture in Hartlepool.

Sampson is looking to maintain the 100 per cent record, during which England, have scored 38 times and conceded just once.

Wales v England will take place at Cardiff City Stadium on Thursday 21 August (KO 7.05pm).  The match will be live on BBC Three, with coverage starting from 7.00pm.

England fans can buy their tickets via the stadium ticket office hotline only, on 0845 345 1400, and should request the away end in blocks 202 and 203.  Tickets cost £5 for adults and £2 for concessions.

FULL SQUAD

Goalkeepers - Karen Bardsley (Manchester City), Siobhan Chamberlain (Arsenal), Carly Telford (Notts County)

Defenders – Gemma Bonner (Liverpool), Alex Greenwood (Everton), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Alex Scott (Arsenal), Demi Stokes (University of South Florida), Casey Stoney (Arsenal)

Midfielders - Laura Bassett (Chelsea), Jade Moore (Birmingham City), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Liverpool)

Forwards – Eniola Aluko (Chelsea), Karen Carney (Birmingham City), Jess Clarke (Notts County), Natasha Dowie (Liverpool), Toni Duggan (Manchester City), Fran Kirby (Reading), Lianne Sanderson (Boston Breakers), Kelly Smith (Arsenal), Jodie Taylor (Washington Spirit)

https://www.vauxhallfootball.co.uk/england/news/article/810/england-squad-announced-for-key-wales-qualifier

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
Re: Wales v England
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »
I see Rachael Laws has been put on stand by. Would love to see her get a full call up even if she didn't play, she deserves it.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »
Totally agree Steve. She's been there for what seems ages and thoroughly deserves the call. Sunderland's players player of the year in their last two years so I understand

Offline Anita_Shorty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »
I see Rachael Laws has been put on stand by. Would love to see her get a full call up even if she didn't play, she deserves it.

Couldn't agree more Steve. She was awesome for us at Liverpool. Was sad to see her go back to Sunderland!

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 06:06:26 PM »
Sunderland's players player of the year in their last two years so I understand

Aye, you're right. And that speaks volumes in itself. When we've had Beth Mead score over 60 goals in the last two years and players like Rachel Furness putting in player of the match performances virtually every week, getting players player for the last two seasons is no mean feat.

Was sad to see her go back to Sunderland!

I wasn't  :P

It doesn't seem very long ago when we were talking about the keeper situation at Sunderland and having two great keepers. When Rachael was out injured Helen Alderson came in and was superb; When Rachael came back most people would have found it hard to choose between the two for the number 1 jersey.

Not now though, Rachael Laws is WAY out infront. Helen is still a great keeper, but it just shows how important playing time is. And of course that stint at Liverpool would have done her confidence the world of good, knowing she played at the highest level and succeeded.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »
Helen alderson needs to move away from sunderland and get some real playing time. shes a keeper I always rated and the longer she stays there the further back she`ll drop.  I admire loyalty but there comes a time that you have to realise your career is more iportant.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 06:45:52 PM »
Helen alderson needs to move away from sunderland and get some real playing time. shes a keeper I always rated and the longer she stays there the further back she`ll drop.  I admire loyalty but there comes a time that you have to realise your career is more iportant.

I would be sad to see her go but i totally agree, she's too good to be an understudy. Just happens to be at one of the few places where there's two very good keepers, she would walk into most FAWSL 2 sides (not being arrogant saying that, it's simply true).