Author Topic: Sang through triathlon  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Sang through triathlon
« on: August 10, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »
When Line Mari Langseth decided to have a go at her first triathlon, she chose the most extreme of them all, the Norseman in south Norway.  3.8 kilometres of swimming in Hardangerford and 180 kilometres cycling on the Hardanger plateau was rounded off with 42.2 kilometres of fell-running up to Gaustadtoppen at over 6000 ft.

She finished 7th in the women's class and 65th overall.  Two days after completing the event in 13 hours 52 minutes her only complaint is a blister on one of her toes and she is ready to run another.  "I had so much fun! This is the best thing I have done in my sports career and it was a really happy day", said Langseth.

The 27-year-old decided to run a year ago, and received her starting number in November.  She started full training in March and has trained 12-14 hours per week since then.  "I have trained twice as much as usual.  Twice the effort and twice as clever", she said.

Langseth has little experience in the water and does not cycle, but she is a keen runner.  She has run several marathons and knew that after completing the first two parts of the competition she would manage to finish it.  And as she overtook one man after another on the way up the mountain, she was smiling broadly.

Twelve members of her family followed her throughout the day and met her at the top.  "You can't do this alone.  They were with me the whole day, shouting, playing music and telling bad jokes.  At one point it was so much fun I sat on my bike and sang", she said.  

"But it must have been painful at times?" - "No, because when I felt down my gang were around".

"Was there anything that was more of a challenge?" - "I am afraid of skidding when I cycle in the rain so I was afraid on Imingfjell", said Langseth.

After 13 hour's exertion she had no worries.  "The worst is a blister on a big toe, a stiff neck caused by a wet shirt and some stiffness in the arms after the swimming", she said.

Several Romerike residents took part.  Kristian Horne (24) took part for the fourth time and finished in 11 hours 51 minutes, which was good enough for ninth place.  He had taken two months off to train full-time.  The winner was Allan Hovda in ten hours 52 minutes.      

Martin Holterhuset, Karoline Carlsen, Romerikes Blad
Article/pictures: http://www.rb.no/lokal_sport/article7510304.ece

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:32:27 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
Re: Sang through triathlon
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:01:52 AM »
Be careful - mixed sport is an anathema to many on this site.  But there again perhaps you would care to re-read some of your postings!

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Re: Sang through triathlon
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 10:40:24 AM »
Runners like Line Mari Langseth who wish to record their training can do it on here: http://app.strava.com/athletes/4452463
Alltid. Uansett.