Author Topic: Is mixed gender sport the thin edge of a wedge?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
Is mixed gender sport the thin edge of a wedge?
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:52:17 AM »
So athletics have modified its rules to allow a mixed gender triathlon relay.   Good grief what next - football modifying its rules to allow mixed gender games!

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/05/news/triathlon-mixed-relay-added-to-2014-commonwealth-games_52481 

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
Re: Is mixed gender sport the thin edge of a wedge?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:53:47 AM »
I'm sorry but i don't see anywhere in that article where it states rules have been changed or modified.

The only thing that's slightly different is it being took through a stadium more often to make it more exciting for people who are actually there watching live. And as it says in the article that's probably more to do with causing least disruption as possible (closing roads etc) rather than changing it so a mixed event can happen.

Still, it's a LOT different to what you propose with UnFairFootball. A complete change of the rules and a completely modified pitch. It seems you would also like to see your idea take over normal football, rather than run alongside it, as this mixed triathlon does.

Its a real shame you still don't get it. If you did you actually wouldn't face as much opposition as you do. You want to FORCE your game onto people and not allow people to have a choice whether they want to watch it or not.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:58:05 AM by Mackem Steve »
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 11:59:47 AM »
Not too long ago women athletes were restricted to 800m or less, and now they are racing in mixed teams in the most macho event of them all, the triathlon.  If you really can’t recognise the trend happening in many sports, then you really are, like most football supporters, in denial and  mired in Victorian attitudes, with the world leaving you behind.

As for FairFootball being a complete change of the rules, with a completely modified pitch - that's nonsense.   By any measure the rule changes are minor and the pitch could be modified with a length of tape in 5 minutes.  Frankly, apart from men and women playing together, no one would know the difference.  You have either not understood the proposal or are still trying desperately to muddy the water.

I am not forcing anyone to do anything: I am simply providing an easy design solution, as the FA did in the 1850’s and giving people a choice.  It is you, et al,  who seems to want to put the game in a sexist straight-jacket.  It may come as a surprise to many but men and women do generally  enjoy being together.  Segregating them is a form of social control – just look at many religions!

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 12:57:08 PM »
in my opinion, anywhere that women can compete in doubles or where they are equal, is great.
where they would need a silly handicap to compete equally, i still think that women would not want to compete.

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 02:02:28 PM »
in my opinion, anywhere that women can compete in doubles or where they are equal, is great.
where they would need a silly handicap to compete equally, i still think that women would not want to compete.

Then you should have just watched the Commonwealth Games mixed triathlon.  Obviously women members were not as fast as the men, but they competed (and very obviously enjoyed being) together as a team - not as individuals.  Football is a team game and all it takes is willingness for a little lateral thinking…… not being a bunch of fuddy-duddies who are too ancient to be eligible for Jurassic Park!  But you are entitled to your views and I mine, as long as they are not imposed on others.

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »

Then you should have just watched the Commonwealth Games mixed triathlon.  Obviously women members were not as fast as the men, but they competed (and very obviously enjoyed being) together as a team - not as individuals.  Football is a team game and all it takes is willingness for a little lateral thinking…… not being a bunch of fuddy-duddies who are too ancient to be eligible for Jurassic Park!  But you are entitled to your views and I mine, as long as they are not imposed on others.
In the case, goodbye, nice to know youre no longer going to try to impose your vies on a "womens" football forum.

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:14:30 PM »
That’s right.  The only ones who’re imposing their views are those that do not allow women to play football with men.  Me?, I’m just expressing mine…. Which I presume is the purpose of this site.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:27:08 PM »

surely you mean tangential thinking?

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 08:36:31 AM »
Quite possibly.  But it’s a better alternative to being stuck in a rut leading to nowhere, which is the direction that women’s football is heading.  Mixed gender, in its various guises, is where all sport is heading – football is getting left behind.