Author Topic: England v Sweden  (Read 5720 times)

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
England v Sweden
« on: July 09, 2014, 03:47:16 PM »
Mark Sampson has chosen his long squad for England Women’s match against Sweden in Hartlepool next month.

Arsenal’s Jordan Nobbs and Chelsea’s Claire Rafferty return to the group following injuries.

Nobbs, who is from Hartlepool, came on as a substitute in Arsenal’s 3-0 win over Chelsea in The FA WSL Continental Cup on Sunday and Rafferty has been back in domestic action since May, following an anterior cruciate ligament injury.

Birmingham City’s Jo Potter is included for the first time since May 2007 and Arsenal’s Danielle Carter gets a call-up after last joining the senior squad for a training camp in La Manga in January.

England take on Sweden on Sunday 3 August at Victoria Park.

The international comes ahead of England’s crucial World Cup qualifier against Wales on Thursday 21 August. The Three Lions travel to Wales needing just one point to secure qualification for the Finals, which take place in Canada next summer.

Sweden are currently ranked fifth in the FIFA rankings and Sampson believes the match is good preparation for the upcoming qualifier.

He said: “It’s great to have Jordan and Claire back in the squad after their injuries.

"Jordan had a fantastic Cyprus Cup and brings a real energy to the group. On the pitch you can see her enthusiasm for the game bursting through which is a real help to the team.

"Claire deserves huge credit for her recovery and is now back enjoying her football and playing well for Chelsea.

“We are looking forward to the Sweden match, it’s the next game on the journey so the challenge is to be better than we were last time out – and this time against really world class opposition.

“We will be playing in front of our own supporters which is something we love, so the whole group is really going to give everything to put on a positive performance for them and try our best to get the win."

Sampson will announce his final squad a week before the game.

Tickets for the match are on sale now priced £5 for adults and £2.50 for children. A family ticket (two adults and two children) is available at £10 and group booking discounts apply.

Tickets can be purchased by calling 01429 272 584 (option 2), via TheFA.com's ticketing page or at the Hartlepool United ticket office.

Squad in full

Goalkeepers
Karen Bardsley (Manchester City), Siobhan Chamberlain (Arsenal), Rachel Brown-Finnis (Everton), Carly Telford (Notts County)

Defenders
Gemma Bonner (Liverpool), Sophie Bradley (Notts County), Lucy Bronze (Liverpool), Alex Greenwood (Everton), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Alex Scott (Arsenal), Casey Stoney (Arsenal), Demi Stokes (University of South Florida), Claire Rafferty (Chelsea)

Midfielders
Anita Asante (Malmo), Laura Bassett (Chelsea), Jade Moore (Birmingham City), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Liverpool), Jo Potter (Birmingham City), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal)

Forwards
Karen Carney (Birmingham City), Dunia Susi (Notts County), Eniola Aluko (Chelsea), Jess Clarke (Notts County), Gemma Davison (Liverpool), Natasha Dowie (Liverpool), Toni Duggan (Manchester City), Fran Kirby (Reading), Lianne Sanderson (Boston Breakers), Kelly Smith (Arsenal), Jodie Taylor (Washington Spirit), Danielle Carter (Arsenal).

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/womens/2014/jul/mark-sampson-squad-sweden-hartlepool-jordan-nobbs-claire-rafferty-jo-potter

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
Re: England v Sweden
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »
Aww no courtesy call ups for any SAFC Ladies players seeing as it's in the NE  ;D

Seriously though, i'm sure the girls will enjoy watching the game.

Oh, wait...
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline Garrincha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »

Looks like the squad's been chosen (well unofficially anyway)

http://www.thefa.com/england/womens-seniors/squad

Lots of forwards to pick from

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 05:08:08 PM »
I dont see the point of having a 30+ long list then a 23 players list to put 18 players on the teamsheet anyway. Especially if they dont come into camp. They are virtually there only...Not even a real call-up

Telford, Stoney, Rafferty, Bradley,Asante, Potter, Davison, Smith, Carter dropped from the long list.

Bradley with an ACL injury and Stoney Smith rested ...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:10:25 PM by sylvain »

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 02:59:38 PM »
Why so far north?  Are the Swedish rowing a boat or coming on the ferry?

The Cabbage

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 03:39:15 PM »
when they play down south , the northeners say: " why so far South.....?"

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 06:34:38 PM »
Is it right to reward some players by being 'rewarded' on the long list. Are any of them in line for proper selection? Are some that are selected just there to sit on bench? With the World Cup next year are Stoney and smith actually going to be selected? There are one or two that aren't performing at club level, but still selected. There are one or two performing at club level and not being selected!

Question.... What is the criteria?

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »
It's hard enough to fill seats in a women's football match.  If you're going up north, why not somewhere more central population-wise?

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:29:03 PM »
It's the geography of English football...if you tell people that the North East is a hotbed of football for long enough then eventually they will reward them. 2 WSL teams out of 18 in this small corner of England .

The South West has had no national team matches since a U23 match at Exeter in 2007. It would be easier for the folk of Devon and Cornwall to go to England's away match in Wales than to attend home matches.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 09:57:06 PM »
It's the geography of English football...if you tell people that the North East is a hotbed of football for long enough then eventually they will reward them. 2 WSL teams out of 18 in this small corner of England .

Aye i wish i could think of a few players who have made the full England squad or any young players in the England Youth squads, but i cant. I guess we're just a "small corner of England"

The South West has

How many WSL teams?

What a ridiculous post Pat, i expect better from you.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:15:48 PM »
I wasn't even thinking of player pool, just fan base and geography.  If it was somewhere close but more central I could understand as it would pull from the entire 360 perimeter. 

Is it common for people to train a couple hours to a match and back in the same day?  What is Hartlepool, about three hours from London?

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 11:01:20 PM »
But when was the last time the North East had a full England international anyway? Ever?

People pissing and moaning about location because we get an England game once every time Halley's Comet passes the earth  ??? We're one of the most excluded areas in the country for everything.

I think the people doing that need some real perspective. Or as we say in this small corner of England - "Give ya heeds a shake".
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:03:21 PM by Mackem Steve »

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 12:10:02 AM »
Pissing and moaning?  I asked a question about population and geography, and people's travel patterns to attend matches.  I have no idea how many games have been played there or anywhere for that matter.  Seems odd to me as an outsider, especially if they don't get a big crowd.  But I guess that's not really important, what's more important is the politics.  Pretty sure I've heard that before about the FA.  Perhaps it's a more general issue.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 12:59:36 AM »
Who gives a toss about geography though. North Easterners have to put up with years of bias towards the South so sorry i couldn't give a toss if it's not convenient for Southerners to travel to the one game we've had in the area since Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. Just like i wouldn't get any sympathy for moaning about games always being held down south.

As for the rest of the country though, it would take a midlander about one extra hour to travel here from Birmingham, obviously less for further northern midland cities. And anyone from anywhere in the north west could get to the north east quicker than they could get to London. And are you so deluded to think politics has never played a part in a match being chosen to take place somewhere down south? Seriously  ???

So maybe if this isn't convenient for southerners they can just give it a miss, bite the bullet and let us have our little meaningless game in our little part of England.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if i were you, you'll have the next 50+ important England home games to look forward to, you know, all those nice Euro and WC qualifiers etc.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:03:33 AM by Mackem Steve »

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 07:55:47 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it too much if i were you, you'll have the next 50+ important England home games to look forward to, you know, all those nice Euro and WC qualifiers etc.

Again, I'm not a Southerner and I really don't care where it's played other than providing women with great support in the stands.  

The right answer, and the one I was looking for, was they have played in the West and central many times before.  I went back five years and it seems they rarely play in London and I believe there's a few people who live there.  So if you want to feel hard-done-by, get in line.

Ironically the last time I saw Sweden play was 30 miles away.

Offline Anita_Shorty

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 08:28:12 AM »
But when was the last time the North East had a full England international anyway? Ever?
People pissing and moaning about location because we get an England game once every time Halley's Comet passes the earth  ??? We're one of the most excluded areas in the country for everything.

I think the people doing that need some real perspective. Or as we say in this small corner of England - "Give ya heeds a shake".

Kinda have to agree with Steve here. We live near Liverpool, little town called Southport, and commute to away games like birmingham, notts and manchester. Been as far north as Sunderland and Durham, taking approx 2 and a half hours - so noth east for an international is a welcome change for us. Cardiff is a no go as it will take approx 4 hours one way, and this is the main factor in why we have never been to an england international yet, with the exception of shrewsbury (which i was stuck working and couldnt get time off), games in the likes of brighton and watford are just too far for us to make the drive there and back in a day. And ok it wouldnt be so much for the two of us to share a premier inn / holiday express room - but then that involves two days off work, sorting out a sitter for the animals etc.
I think it makes sense to move the locations around - so that people from all locationsget the chance to go!

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 08:54:08 AM »
Agreed.  As I said originally though, it just appears that if they went an hour closer to heavier population they wouldn't lose many supporters and would gain more.

Political regionalism ruined football in my country and there is no end in sight.  I guess you can't win.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 11:38:06 AM »

Again, I'm not a Southerner and I really don't care where it's played other than providing women with great support in the stands.  

The right answer, and the one I was looking for, was they have played in the West and central many times before.  I went back five years and it seems they rarely play in London and I believe there's a few people who live there.  So if you want to feel hard-done-by, get in line.

Ironically the last time I saw Sweden play was 30 miles away.

I'm not really having a direct dig at you, i was just talking more general, which is why i was trying to say "they" as opposed to "you". Because i'm sure there are people who don't like the fact it's so far north.

And as you point out, even this is more of a political token gesture rather than anyone in the FA caring about us up here, and lets be honest is still a bit crappy. For all i'm glad the match is still taking place up here it's still only a meaningless friendly, which is all the north east is ever going to see.

Btw i was saying London but just meant down south, us northerners tend to do that. You're right, not many are held in London, it's even worse than that with a lot of the games actually being played even deeper south, on the south coast.

Of the five home England WC qualifiers held, only one was held anywhere in the north, as Anita pointed out in Shrewsbury. The other games were held in Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Brighton, and Millwall. Three south coast teams (but not really a big deal for Londoners eh?) and one in London.

For me to travel to Bournemouth it would take a good seven hour drive (assuming i wasn't going to try do it without stopping) and would be a near 700 mile round trip (again assuming i was driving straight back and not have the extra expense of an overnight stay).

It would take a Londoner 2 hours to drive to the south coast.

So get in line behind those hard done by Londeners eh? I think not.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:44:21 AM by Mackem Steve »

The Cabbage

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 11:55:21 AM »
The men have their national stadium and games are played there including friendlies unless it's being refurbished. As the ladies don't and the game is not as high profile it seems the idea is to move the games around the country to allow as many people to get to the games as possible hopefully to gain more interest. Seems a reasonable idea bearing in mind the crowd wont be a 50000 sell out to play at a smaller ground.

It's unlikely that the ladies will get their own stadium, so whilst its not an ideal scenario for the fans, the games will be moved around the country and fans will have to decide if the long trek from north south east or west is worth it.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 12:39:59 PM »
Oh, by the way i see the FA have tried to appease themselves by bringing the SAFC Ladies kick-off forward to 11.30am. Well done they finally reacted, even if it is less than a week until the game.

Totally pointless and causes massive inconvenience for the Oxford girls and staff, or do they travel up saturday and stay overnight?

It's still not going to be enough anyway for anyone that was hoping to attend both. Kick-off 11.30am first half ends after 12.15pm with stoppage time, second half starts 12.30pm and ends well after 1.15pm, with stoppage time and if the second half kicks off a few minutes late, closer to 1.25pm.

Giving people only 35 minutes to travel from Hetton to Hartlepool, find a parking space and get into the ground for the kick-off.

Good luck with that  :P