Author Topic: mixed-football-extension-agreed-u16  (Read 5407 times)

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
mixed-football-extension-agreed-u16
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
http://www.thefa.com/news/2014/may/mixed-football-extension-agreed-u16

now increased age to u16s for mixed football , the news item states its to give choice to females, its not compulsory.

Offline Pukkapad

• View Profile
Re: mixed-football-extension-agreed-u16
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 10:50:10 AM »
That's good news, my daughter had played at Coe but the footie she enjoys and relishes the most is playing mixed football and that's what she will now be doing next year, I'm sure in holland they allow mixed football up to an even older age.

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 04:37:11 PM »
Revealing touch of sexism from Kelly Simmons, FA Director of National Game and Women’s Football…. what’s wrong with giving boys the choice?

Don’t know what you mean by not being compulsory – the FA certainly have no choice, and they know it!

Is it really  surprising that The FA have raised the age to 16?  As I’ve been pointing out, ad nauseum, the FA have been legally on very dodgy ground, at least since the Equality Act 2010 came into force. They are probably hoping that by salami-slicing the age increase, no one has noticed their illegal discrimination against children.  However, they will not be totally out of the woods until the age limit is raised to 18.

Of greater importance is the position they have now placed schools in, who have now no excuse whatsoever for segregating any sport by gender.   I would advise any child, or their parent(s)/guardian(s) who finds themselves in such a position to complain to the head-teacher - with the threat of legal action if needs be.

That's good news, my daughter had played at Coe but the footie she enjoys and relishes the most is playing mixed football and that's what she will now be doing next year, I'm sure in holland they allow mixed football up to an even older age.

Very brave of you to admit to your daughter preferring to play mixed football – contradicts all the claims from the inner circle of this site!

Offline Pukkapad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »
You are right schools have always been an issue and despite the current rules and my daughters constant requests they won't allow mixed football despite most of her school team being made up of her own club side. As regards to being brave, not really just honest. She has payed mixed football since the age of 6 and has left and gone back as the rules have changed and in those times has played at Coe and in girls teams which she also enjoyed. I think its more that this is where she started and because she joined at 6 is also welcomed and respected by the lads which may not apply to all girls in mixed football.

Most important issue is that she is more than a match in all aspects if the game and is proof that mixed football, especially for girls who don't have an option works very well.

Next to the head teacher !

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »
Most important issue is that she is more than a match in all aspects if the game and is proof that mixed football, especially for girls who don't have an option works very well.

So you don't think the game needs to be modified in some ridiculous way that is actually sexist and patronizing towards girls by telling them they can't physically compete with boys?  ;)
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline Pukkapad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 08:53:17 PM »
No modification required.

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 08:57:40 PM »

So you don't think the game needs to be modified in some ridiculous way that is actually sexist and patronizing towards girls by telling them they can't physically compete with boys?  ;)

You are really struggling with your argument against me by implying that I am sexist, when it is you that doesn’t want mixed football.   All I’ve done is to suggest a method of allaying oft expressed concern over generally accepted physical disparities , and parental fears about physical contact, between the sexes.  I’m sure that if Pukkapad reads over recent postings (s)he will be able to make up her/his own mind who is fighting for girls rights.

Offline Pukkapad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 09:10:47 PM »
I'm not sure what argument I've walked into here but i think we can all agree that football has changed considerably over the last 2,5 10 or 20 years and is now a game based on pace, skill, thinking on your feet and less so on who can kick lumps out of who. Dontvgetvmevwrong physicality is still part of the game but not as much these days. This change has helped boys and girl of all statures play the game. Ask messi!.

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »
Agreed, but that change has been imposed by external forces.  As far as women and girls are concerned more change needs to take place.  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:37:48 PM by Admin »

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 10:16:06 PM »
That's good news, my daughter had played at Coe but the footie she enjoys and relishes the most is playing mixed football and that's what she will now be doing next year.

Mine too. This season she's played U14s Academy on a Saturday & her local U14s boys team on a Sunday (despite being U13) and has loved it. So this extends how long she can continue playing with her local team for another couple of years if she chooses.

And all without having to feed some fat lawyer or resort to some daft sexist segregated "game" that treats girls like untouchables.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 11:28:16 PM »
well, nice to see people agree that to treat women differently is wrong.
last thing i want to see is a segregated pitch! ala fair football, if the want to play and can compete on an equal footing then that's fantastic.

49yardtapin

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 07:01:57 AM »
The fairfootball idea turns out to be quite discriminatory. Who knew?? ;)

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 08:51:45 AM »
It’s taken you all a while to appreciate it, but of course it’s discriminatory,   However it is not negative gender discrimination, as it favours nobody.  It’s probably the first ever proposed example of affirmative action that is totally neutral – everybody gains equally!  Now men’s football vs women’s football, or mixed football…. guess who comes off second best?

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »
It’s taken you all a while to appreciate it, but of course it’s discriminatory,   However it is not negative gender discrimination, as it favours nobody.  It’s probably the first ever proposed example of affirmative action that is totally neutral – everybody gains equally!  Now men’s football vs women’s football, or mixed football…. guess who comes off second best?
Id suggest, with your plan, everyone. Male players, female players and paying customers.  Actually scrap the third one because no-one would pay!

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 10:04:29 AM »
That's good news, my daughter had played at Coe but the footie she enjoys and relishes the most is playing mixed football and that's what she will now be doing next year.

Mine too. This season she's played U14s Academy on a Saturday & her local U14s boys team on a Sunday (despite being U13) and has loved it. So this extends how long she can continue playing with her local team for another couple of years if she chooses.

And all without having to feed some fat lawyer or resort to some daft sexist segregated "game" that treats girls like untouchables.

Sorry I overlooked your posting.  Good to see your daughter is now playing football together with boys.   What’s even better is that she can now do so up to the age of 16.   Despite your dislike of litigation, it’s surprising what a little reminder to the FA that they are still acting illegally, will do. Unfortunately, with the law as it stands, she will have no such choice when she reaches 16 (or will it now change to 18?).

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 11:24:37 AM »
A message from some people who are actually doing something about this problem:
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/equality/womens-and-girls-football
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 12:02:16 PM »

You are really struggling with your argument against me by implying that I am sexist

No, you seem to have misunderstood me, i wasn't implying your idea is sexist, i'm saying it is.

when it is you that doesn’t want mixed football

Please, feel free to quote ANY post on here where i've opposed mixed football. I, and in fact NO ONE on this forum is opposed to mixed football, just your sexist idea of how it should be played where girls are cordoned off into some little corner of the pitch, sending out the message that they're unable to compete with boys.

All I’ve done is to suggest a method of allaying oft expressed concern over generally accepted physical disparities , and parental fears about physical contact, between the sexes.  

Probably a small minority. The majority of parents will except that if their daughter wants to play mixed football with boys then some sort of physical contact in inevitable.

I’m sure that if Pukkapad reads over recent postings (s)he will be able to make up her/his own mind who is fighting for girls rights.

Well it may not be me, but it's certainly not you. I don't have a daughter so support and promote football through my facebook page, twitter and going to every game i can. I actually received positive feedback from the woman who used to run the old Sunderland Women official website when she told me hits on the site had risen dramatically since i opened it through me linking articles from my facebook page. If i got only a few people interested in SAFC Ladies and women's football in general, then it was worth it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:07:19 PM by Mackem Steve »
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »

You are really struggling with your argument against me by implying that I am sexist

No, you seem to have misunderstood me, i wasn't implying your idea is sexist, i'm saying it is.

when it is you that doesn’t want mixed football

Please, feel free to quote ANY post on here where i've opposed mixed football. I, and in fact NO ONE on this forum is opposed to mixed football, just your sexist idea of how it should be played where girls are cordoned off into some little corner of the pitch, sending out the message that they're unable to compete with boys.

All I’ve done is to suggest a method of allaying oft expressed concern over generally accepted physical disparities , and parental fears about physical contact, between the sexes. 

Probably a small minority. The majority of parents will except that if their daughter wants to play mixed football with boys then some sort of physical contact in inevitable.

I’m sure that if Pukkapad reads over recent postings (s)he will be able to make up her/his own mind who is fighting for girls rights.

Well it may not be me, but it's certainly not you. I don't have a daughter so support and promote football through my facebook page, twitter and going to every game i can. I actually received positive feedback from the woman who used to run the old Sunderland Women official website when she told me hits on the site had risen dramatically since i opened it through me linking articles from my facebook page. If i got only a few people interested in SAFC Ladies and women's football in general, then it was worth it.

I have already exposed your attitude to playing football with men – I have no wish to embarrass you further.   Additionally you obviously have not, or most probably, wish not to have, any understanding of my fair football proposal.

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 01:43:08 PM »
A message from some people who are actually doing something about this problem:
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/equality/womens-and-girls-football

Hum yes, and still participation of girls, and boys, is falling.   Perhaps it’s all my fault for pointing out the legal position,  making the FA have raise the age for mixed football.  Never mind only three years to go before women’s football is the second most popular team sport – or so the FA would have you believe!

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 02:02:59 PM »
I have already exposed your attitude to playing football with men – I have no wish to embarrass you further.

So basically you mean you can't do what i ask and find a quote from me where i've opposed mixed football? And after making the direct statement that i'm against it.

As you like to do with other users i'll do to you and say that i'll let others decide from both of our posts who is embarrassing themselves.

Your whole idea and concept has been shot down time and time again for the sexist game that it is, and yet you persist with the "Everyone is wrong and i'm right" attitude.

Yes, and i'm the one embarrassed eh?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:05:21 PM by Mackem Steve »