Author Topic: Kirby included in Women's squad for double-header  (Read 3877 times)

Sylvain

Kirby included in Women's squad for double-header
« on: May 21, 2014, 03:56:42 PM »
England Women's Head Coach Mark Sampson has named a 29-player squad for a World Cup qualifying double-header in June.

Reading’s Fran Kirby has been included in the senior squad for the first time and becomes the first player from FA WSL 2 to be called up by Sampson since the division launched in April.

Washington Spirit forward Jodie Taylor receives her second call up, following her inclusion in the initial squad for a La Manga training camp in January, while Manchester City goalkeeper Karen Bardsley returns to the squad following injury.

England travel to Belarus and Ukraine next month as part of their 2015 World Cup qualifying campaign. The Three Lions are top of Group 6, having won all six matches so far without conceding a goal. Last time out they beat Ukraine 4-0 in Shrewsbury.

The first match, against Belarus, will take place on Saturday 14 June at Minsk’s Traktor Stadium. England then travel to Ukraine, where they will play at Arena Lviv on Thursday 19 June.

Sampson said: “Announcing a long squad for these matches allows us a bit more time to assess them.

“Their domestic football calendars are very busy at the moment so this gives us a further four or five matches to look at fitness and form, which is very beneficial ahead of two key away matches.”

Sampson will announce his final 23-player squad in the week commencing Monday 2 June.

Squad in full

Goalkeepers
Karen Bardsley (Manchester City), Rachel Brown-Finnis (Everton), Siobhan Chamberlain (Arsenal), Carly Telford (Notts County).

Defenders
Gemma Bonner (Liverpool), Sophie Bradley (Notts County), Lucy Bronze (Liverpool), Alex Greenwood (Everton), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Alex Scott (Arsenal), Casey Stoney (Arsenal), Demi Stokes (University of South Florida), Dunia Susi (Notts County).

Midfielders
Remi Allen (Birmingham City), Anita Asante (Malmo), Laura Bassett (Chelsea), Karen Carney (Birmingham City), Jade Moore (Birmingham City), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Liverpool).

Forwards
Eniola Aluko (Chelsea), Jess Clarke (Notts County), Gemma Davison (Liverpool), Natasha Dowie (Liverpool), Toni Duggan (Manchester City), Fran Kirby (Reading), Lianne Sanderson (Boston Breakers), Kelly Smith (Arsenal), Jodie Taylor (Washington Spirit).

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/england/womens/2014/may/squad-belarus-ukraine-fran-kirby-karen-bardsley

Offline cardy

• View Profile
Re: Kirby included in Women's squad for double-header
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 09:34:10 AM »
So the main squad plus maybes and a few 'reward for performing well lately' !

Reduction on 2 June to main squad + few sitters.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »
i wonder if Jodie Taylor will turn up?, shes a free spirit, but a great goal scorer.

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 07:14:38 AM »
She recently made a statement about being keen to play for england.

Offline Garrincha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 03:26:11 PM »

i wonder if Jodie Taylor will turn up?, shes a free spirit, but a great goal scorer.

Maybe we'll find out next Monday when Mark Sampson names his 23, thats if he sticks to his word and selects in-form players. Jodie Taylor has scored 3 in the last 3 when most of the other hopefuls are firing blanks.

By the way what's happened to Danielle Carter? I had high hopes for that girl.

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
Mark Sampson announces 23-player squad for crunch qualifiers
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:51:14 PM »
 Fran Kirby becomes the first FA WSL2 player to be named in the senior squad

Mark Sampson has named his final 23-player squad for England Women’s two upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

England take on Belarus and Ukraine this month as part of their FIFA 2015 Women’s World Cup qualifying campaign.

Reading forward Fran Kirby becomes the first FA WSL2 player to be named in the senior squad since the division launched in April.

Notts County duo Jess Clarke and Dunia Susi have kept their places in the squad following their inclusion against Ukraine last month and Manchester City’s Karen Bardsley returns after injury.
“I am really excited with this group. There is a real sense of positivity"

England head coach Mark Sampson said: “I am really excited with this group.  There is a real sense of positivity which, going into two difficult away matches, will be very important to help us perform to our maximum.

“We have a number of players really at the top of their game including Fran Kirby.  She is a player with great potential who is really enjoying her football at the moment and playing very well.  Having been involved in our age group squads we know she is a good person, she fits in with our philosophy and has fantastic technical ability, good football intelligence and a great work ethic.

“With two games in short space of time plus the challenge of being on the road for a prolonged period we will need every player to contribute positively on and off the pitch if we are to be at our best."

Fran Kirby: “I was quite surprised to be included in the long squad and even more so now, and I’m really pleased to be part of the squad.

“It’s great that Mark and his team are looking at WSL2 and coming to watch games. The league is of a high standard and we’ve been pushing WSL1 teams when we’ve been playing them in the Continental Cup.

“I’m really looking forward to joining up with the squad. I did a training session with the senior squad in La Manga in January and I think it helped to drive me on this season and get the goals I’ve been scoring.”

The first match against Belarus takes place on Saturday 14 June at Minsk’s Traktor Stadium (KO 15:00 BST). England will then travel to Ukraine, where they play at Arena Lviv on Thursday 19 June (KO 16:00 BST).

England are unbeaten so far in the campaign, winning six out of six games so far without conceding any goals.

ENGLAND SQUAD

Goalkeepers

Karen Bardsley (Manchester City), Rachel Brown-Finnis (Everton), Siobhan Chamberlain (Arsenal)

Defenders

Sophie Bradley (Notts County), Lucy Bronze (Liverpool), Alex Greenwood (Everton), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Alex Scott (Arsenal), Casey Stoney (Arsenal), Demi Stokes (University of South Florida)

Midfielders

Laura Bassett (Chelsea), Karen Carney (Birmingham), Jade Moore (Birmingham), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Liverpool)

Forwards

Eniola Aluko (Chelsea), Jess Clarke (Notts County), Dunia Susi (Notts County), Natasha Dowie (Liverpool), Toni Duggan (Manchester City), Fran Kirby (Reading), Lianne Sanderson (Boston Breakers), Kelly Smith (Arsenal)

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/womens/2014/jun/mark-sampson-announces-final-23-for-crunch-qualifiers-030614

Telford, Bonner, Asante, Allen, Davison and Taylor dropped .... Bonner and Flaherty must wonder what they should do to be in the 23... Taylor in form but dropped.

49yardtapin

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 03:32:27 PM »
with Chamberlain not really playing much why shouldn't Telford get a nod.

Susi a better player than Davison??!!?!?
Stoney above Bonner???!?!!?
Bradley above Flaherty??!??!??!
Dowie not in form yet picked above Taylor?!?!?!?

However, not enough media interest for him to be questioned over certain selections im afraid.

The Cabbage

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »
and is that the same Alex Greenwood we all saw get skinned alive by Carter in the Cup Final?

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 10:35:36 PM »
and is that the same Alex Greenwood we all saw get skinned alive by Carter in the Cup Final?
And aint that the truth!

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 12:16:57 AM »
All in form players or  maybe not!