Author Topic: Reply to Ridiculous Women in Football Statement on Richard Scudamore  (Read 3450 times)

Offline BrianE

• View Profile
So not only won't you listen to the views of the contributors to this site, who have put forward some constructive comments as to why your idea won't work, but you also won't accept any evidence from any females who say they don't want to play mixed football.

I am still not sure why females competing against females and males competing against males should be construed as out of date Victorian attitudes. Why stop at football. What about all of the other sports which are not mixed. Why not think of new games for those as well.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. If your idea was forced on both male and females, as you seem intent on doing, then rather then increase participation it will likely drive more people into obesity.

The first part of your original post was about Richard Scudamore but the second part was all about you and your idea for which you conveniently added a link to your website. Something else you have conveniently ignored.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
but unless they have had the experience of playing football with males, on the equal terms that I’m suggesting, then it would be unfair on them to use their opinion as any form of evidence. 

Fairnutcase please read over and over again until said concept sinks into thick skull -

They DON'T WANT to play with men

If you get to this point and you still don't get it, simply start from the top again.

Thanks
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
So not only won't you listen to the views of the contributors to this site, who have put forward some constructive comments as to why your idea won't work, but you also won't accept any evidence from any females who say they don't want to play mixed football.

I am still not sure why females competing against females and males competing against males should be construed as out of date Victorian attitudes. Why stop at football. What about all of the other sports which are not mixed. Why not think of new games for those as well.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. If your idea was forced on both male and females, as you seem intent on doing, then rather then increase participation it will likely drive more people into obesity.

The first part of your original post was about Richard Scudamore but the second part was all about you and your idea for which you conveniently added a link to your website. Something else you have conveniently ignored.

I can assure you that I have listened to the views of all who have posted but alas there has been very little constructive criticism.   What does come across very clearly, and I’m sure I’m not the only one to notice, is that the response has been so  vehement and personal that I must have touched a raw nerve somewhere, which for me means the idea has legs.

I’m not picking on football.  I’ve done the same for rugby and I’m pretty sure there is no team-sport that cannot be so modified.

I’m absolutely certain that there are many women who want only to play football with other women, and definitely not with men.  However the evidence is that there are many, many more women who do not want to play the game with either.  From what I’ve read in the initial research, is that to encourage women into sport, there has to be a social element.  For most women that means contact with men, as women, but on equal terms, and not as subordinates being told what to do.

Of course there was a reference to my website.   I was making an important point to Women in Sport, but thanks for agreeing with me that others turned the issue on to me – again!   

Offline BrianE

• View Profile
If you think I agreed with you that others turned the issue on you then you are sadly mistaken.

The topic was started by you purely to push your own agenda.

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
Richard Scudamore, Jim Davidson, Bernard Manning and our little friend from South Wales . . . . which one of them would win a race across a football pitch? :)

Hold on, who's our little friend from South Wales?...I googled Manning and get that one....

Now, now, Alan, you wouldn't want our differentially-sized friend from South Wales (Mr Harvey, aka FairFootball, to you M.Cabbage) to accuse you of midgitism as well as sexism. Don't be tempted to join the bigoted masses (or is that the whole planet bar 1 person?) who are unable to comprehend the sheer scale of his thought leadership.  ;D

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
And after all that the sexist Scudamore keeps his job, with Women in Football being made to look like spite driven sexists (as they also are) who are unable to recognise the everyday meaningless banter common to all men, whilst they fail to comprehend, let alone acknowledge, the ubiquitous sexism in football by looking the other way. 

Offline raefil

• View Profile
And after all that the sexist Scudamore keeps his job, with Women in Football being made to look like spite driven sexists (as they also are) who are unable to recognise the everyday meaningless banter common to all men, whilst they fail to comprehend, let alone acknowledge, the ubiquitous sexism in football by looking the other way. 
Could you point to me, anywhere, even one little statement, by women in football that suggests that Scudamore should lose his job?

The Cabbage

The Prime Minister insinuated that if it was one of his ministers who said the remarks - they would lose their job....

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
Could you point to me, anywhere, even one little statement, by women in football that suggests that Scudamore should lose his job?

No I can't - but then again I have made no such an assertion!

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
The Prime Minister insinuated that if it was one of his ministers who said the remarks - they would lose their job....

Yes, but he is not running a sexist organisation - well so he would have us believe!

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Richard Scudamore, Jim Davidson, Bernard Manning and our little friend from South Wales . . . . which one of them would win a race across a football pitch? :)

Hold on, who's our little friend from South Wales?...I googled Manning and get that one....

Now, now, Alan, you wouldn't want our differentially-sized friend from South Wales (Mr Harvey, aka FairFootball, to you M.Cabbage) to accuse you of midgitism as well as sexism. Don't be tempted to join the bigoted masses (or is that the whole planet bar 1 person?) who are unable to comprehend the sheer scale of his thought leadership.  ;D
Quite right, I stand corrected.  I am trying to comprehend the latest news that somewhere on the internet there is a parallel discussion called "women's rugby" where everyone is (I guess) patiently trying to tell our misguided (but non-midget) contributor where the faults lie in his argument . . :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:11:23 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
Sorry I have the ideas but not the time.   But thank you, you’ve given me another idea – football for midgets and average sized people - a much ignored and ridiculed minority group   It’s becoming more inclusive everyday!!!

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
Quite the opposite, it is you, et al, who want to deny women of the opportunity to play football with men on equal terms, but refuse to give an reasoned argument as to why not!

I suppose an argument against fairfootball (the amended game), is that people (men, women, boys girls etc) currently play football because they enjoy it the way it is. The solution of fairfootball that you have produced, to the perceived 'issue' of segregation, would destroy the game that everybody enjoys. Hence a potential reason why fairfootball has not been taken on board by anyone as far as we can tell..

Nobody is denying people the opportunity of trying the game of fairfootball. If you feel that you have a winning idea, then your challenge is to find wider interest in it. That doesn't appear to be on this forum so far.

For what it is worth, I don't think you are 'mad' at all fairfootball (the forum member), and you have been polite with your posts.

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
Thank you for your response.  You did not make any constructive criticism of the mechanics of the proposal but you rubbished it politely without the use of personal invective.  Needless to say I do not agree with you, but I do understand that people like the game the way it is.  However that’s no excuse to do nothing, as it could be so much better, especially for women who have always been marginalised by gender prejudice in football.  Football is no different from any other aspect of life – if women accept segregation they will get inequality, which is the present state of affairs.