Author Topic: Scudamore to resign? Perhaps he should...  (Read 1505 times)

Offline #1

• View Profile
Scudamore to resign? Perhaps he should...
« on: May 13, 2014, 12:25:18 PM »
Pretty sure many have seen this and several others like it, but it seems Scudamore has been... well, not sure if its plain stupid or downright obnoxious
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/premier-league-boss-richard-scudamore-3524857

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27374224

There's a few articles more recent but you get the idea. These poor girls/women who play/coach/administer the game have it difficult enough with out this type of thing. From a Chief Exec as well.
I read it and my heart sank, knowing that he'll probably get away with it.  :'( :o >:( :(

Offline law10

• View Profile
Re: Scudamore to resign? Perhaps he should...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 01:53:31 PM »
I'll take the counterpoint view.

Asking to remain ­anonymous, she added: “The people at the top of the Premier League should be sending down the right message to all levels of football.”

"Asking to remain anonymous".  Hmmm.  "Should be sending down the right message"??  These are private conversations.  Wouldn't it make more sense to analyze his public conversations for the message he is sending?

If he was a huge supporter of women's football and rights, and his replacement was a woman who would take away half the funding from women's football, what is the better option?

Has he made sexist remarks in private conversation?  Sure.  Is that cool?  No.  Have other men and women done this at some point?  Billions.  Should they all be fired?

There are plenty of great works of art by really disturbed people.  If I discover a cure for cancer and called a woman something sexist, do you not give my treatment to your dying child?

The Premier League is a men's league.  I'm not really surprised by this and expect similar from most men's sporting leagues.  It's the lingua franca.  Do women's leagues act similar?  I'm not sure but I don't really know or care.  I support women's football because I support the women playing.  If a misogynist, fascist, malodourous guy/girl is running the local women's league, that's a professional issue of the league itself.  I'd rather live in a world where their private conversations remain private conversations and people are judged on their public communications and how well they do their jobs.

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »
Mmmm all points perfectly valid and understood, but given some of the comments alledgedly made, I'd never dream of making remarks anywhere near them; especially from a work email?
Any CE of an company will have a PA who will arrange his diary, and so often sees incoming emails before he does. Surely it's naiive to suggest that a PA wouldnt see them.

Did he simply forget that this banter was on his work email? Ooops... Would he be subject to the FA email & internet policy (should there be one)? Most organisations have one to avoid this potential embarrassment. Companies do fire (or at least discipline) staff who bring the company into disrepute.
In future, keep private thoughts on your own email Mr Scudamore...

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 04:59:58 PM »
Mmmm all points perfectly valid and understood, but given some of the comments alledgedly made, I'd never dream of making remarks anywhere near them; especially from a work email?
Any CE of an company will have a PA who will arrange his diary, and so often sees incoming emails before he does. Surely it's naiive to suggest that a PA wouldnt see them.

Did he simply forget that this banter was on his work email? Ooops... Would he be subject to the FA email & internet policy (should there be one)? Most organisations have one to avoid this potential embarrassment. Companies do fire (or at least discipline) staff who bring the company into disrepute.
In future, keep private thoughts on your own email Mr Scudamore...

Agreed fully and completely, at minimum he will be reprimanded and it will factor into his performance review.  If they were looking for a reason to dismiss him, he just made that easy.  If he was good at what he did, I imagine he'll go on warning.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:02:18 PM by law10 »

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:22:11 AM »
Debating sexism is not, I would have thought, a popular subject for football supports to become involved in.  By openly segregating the sexes, football eagerly embraces sex discrimination, so by any definition is a sexist organisation.  So you are inviting the head of a sexist organisation, with well-known sexist views and ambitions, to be condemned for making marginally, at worst, sexist remarks?  Wisely everyone seems to be keeping their heads below the parapet.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 09:10:32 AM »
yeah  ???