Author Topic: So football for women has arrived.  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Snow Goose

• View Profile
So football for women has arrived.
« on: May 10, 2014, 11:10:58 AM »
Hey :D

I wanted to join this, as a more 'mature' lady - because I am so pleased to see women's football out there. It still needs more air time. I am tired of all the news re men's football and not enough women's, they are far better tactical team players.

When I asked my headmaster in the 80s  if I (we, a group of girls) could play football, he stated definitely 'NO' because girls might damage
their 'chests'. Can you believe.  :-\ So I missed the chance to learn or play it, but did athletics, tennis hockey etc. 
I realised I haven't been to a live match yet - I want to see England Cup qualifiers and the friendly against Sweden in August - where do I find this out? What home team do I support? I don't know yet!

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: So football for women has arrived.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 11:14:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum ! :-)

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »
there,s a lot to be said for being a neutral and enjoying a lot of cheap games (even free) .
i suppose we all pick our national team and one other local team, others travel thousands of miles a year.
uk TV seems to have a lot more to watch nowadays though.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 01:40:57 PM »

When I asked my headmaster in the 80s  if I (we, a group of girls) could play football, he stated definitely 'NO' because girls might damage
their 'chests'. Can you believe.  

You should have replied "We don't kick the ball with our chests, are you stupid?". It would have been worth the detention  :)

What home team do I support?

Where are you based? There's a tremendous team play in red and white somewhere up the the North East  :D ;)

Welcome to the forum.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »
Classic.  Ah memories of women's training sessions in the 80s... the layered hair, the bad nylon shorts.

Nice start and welcome.

Offline Anita_Shorty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 04:24:26 PM »

When I asked my headmaster in the 80s  if I (we, a group of girls) could play football, he stated definitely 'NO' because girls might damage

You should have replied "We don't kick the ball with our chests, are you stupid?". It would have been worth the detention  :)

Where are you based? There's a tremendous team play in red and white somewhere up the the North East  :D ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Tremendous indeed! Loved the way they played last Saturday ;) :p

Welcome to the forum Snow Goose :)

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:37:48 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

Tremendous indeed! Loved the way they played last Saturday ;) :p

Welcome to the forum Snow Goose :)

Meh, a mere blip. We let you win so we could concentrate on the league  ;)
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt