Author Topic: Mixed gender team games  (Read 4227 times)

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
Re: Mixed gender team games
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 03:59:53 PM »
fairnutcase - what if women/girls don't want to play with men/boys? What then? Have you actually asked any women how offended/bigoted/excluded they feel not being able to play a mixed game with men?

I think you'll find most women (and a lot of men) just want equality for their own game in comparison to men, not that they feel anything you claim they feel because they can't play football WITH men.

And if you have to virtually beg for interest and participants on a forum where you've faced mostly ridicule for your idea, well as a famous commentator once said "They think it's all over... it is now" (apologies for not using a female commentator quote, i hope they don't feel too excluded).

I don't think you really understand what women/girls are feeling at all.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:38:54 PM by Mackem Steve »
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline BrianE

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 07:02:09 PM »
He's been asked many times whether any females have shown any interest in his idea and he has consistently avoided answering the question.

When I showed his idea to my own daughter she laughed at how ludicrous it was (without any prompting from me). She wants to play football against other ladies and not some contrived game designed purely to satisfy somebody's ego.

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 11:02:11 PM »
If there is a UK women’s football team who wants to establish its position in history before the Yanks, then all it has to do is to cosy-up to a men’s team and arrange to play, the first ever, FairFootball game (rules at www.fairfootball.co.uk - so easy even some, but apparently not all, men can understand them).  Make sure a video is taken and posted on YouTube. Not only will fame be guaranteed, but more importantly, also annoy the sexist socks off parochial bigots. 

I can't possibly imagine why not a single woman out of 20 million has jumped at this amazing opportunity to showcase such a huge leap forward in equality. Surely they must understand what a unique chance they're missing to make history and be there at the very start of a turning point in overthrowing male domination & female servitude?! Are all those nasty parochially bigoted men preventing them from accessing the internet and having the truth & light revealed to them?!!

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »
In answer to all of the above.

It’s interesting that the majority of the proponents of mixed gender basketball seem to be from the black community and I’m sure they are all facing exactly the same criticism!

Sexism and racism are two sides of the same coin.  They both discriminate simply on the basis of genetics.  The standard argument is that men are physically superior to women, so it would be unfair for them to play sport together on the same team.  That argument is not upheld in employment where the job is expected to be adapted to allow women to participate.  I can see no reason as to why sport should not be treated exactly the same, especially when the remedy is demonstrably and patently so simple and straightforward.

Of course it takes time for people to adapt.  Social stereotyping is a powerful influence, sometimes for the good, but in sports’ case its purpose is purely for the social exclusion and adverse conditioning of women.  To argue differently is a result of that stereotyping, so an understandable emotional knee-jerk response to change - apart from those with a vested interest, where it is also self-serving. There was once a time when slavery was taken to be a socially acceptable, highly respectable business, by all ethnicities; and not so long ago terrace racism was a big, male-bonding elbow-in-the-ribs, joke, with its detractors being pilloried for being on the lunatic fringe.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 12:04:41 AM by David »

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 07:41:57 PM »
Of course it takes time for people to adapt.

Apparently.

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2014, 12:01:42 AM »
demonstrably and patently so simple and straightforward.

Never demonstrated so something must be wrong? Either too difficult or completely pointless, not sure which...

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 08:19:37 AM »
In answer to all of the above.

It’s interesting that the majority of the proponents of mixed gender basketball seem to be from the black community and I’m sure they are all facing exactly the same criticism!

Sexism and racism are two sides of the same coin.  They both discriminate simply on the basis of genetics.  The standard argument is that men are physically superior to women, so it would be unfair for them to play sport together on the same team.  That argument is not upheld in employment where the job is expected to be adapted to allow women to participate.  I can see no reason as to why sport should not be treated exactly the same, especially when the remedy is demonstrably and patently so simple and straightforward.

Of course it takes time for people to adapt.  Social stereotyping is a powerful influence, sometimes for the good, but in sports’ case its purpose is purely for the social exclusion and adverse conditioning of women.  To argue differently is a result of that stereotyping, so an understandable emotional knee-jerk response to change - apart from those with a vested interest, where it is also self-serving. There was once a time when slavery was taken to be a socially acceptable, highly respectable business, by all ethnicities; and not so long ago terrace racism was a big, male-bonding elbow-in-the-ribs, joke, with its detractors being pilloried for being on the lunatic fringe.
Was over in the states recently and guess what? Saw a few NCAA basketball games both mens and womens.  The players were predominantly black.  So makes that little bit of your argument a little bit meaningless.

Sorry old chap.   

Started your own forum yet?

Offline Banbo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »
If ‘Fairfootball’ started their own forum …… wouldn’t that be called a Blog?

I’m no expert, but I’m sure you need lots of interested parties & contributors to make a Forum work.

Whereas for a Blog, you can just sit all alone in your room documenting all of your scatterbrain ideas for the world to see, in the hope that someone will read them …… or not, as the case may be.

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 02:30:06 PM »
Perhaps we could encourage him to join the FairSnooker forum? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/27253279

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 07:34:25 PM »
mixed combat chess, bare knuckle noodle knitting, or  mangle flinging. 3 sports that deserve a mixed participation are totally ignored, im disgusted and will start my own forum. :P

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 11:12:49 AM »
Perhaps we could encourage him to join the FairSnooker forum? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/27253279

Apparently snooker is already equally accessible to both sexes and does not need to have its rules modified.  I’m led to believe that it is becoming quite popular with Chinese women who see it as a financial opportunity.