Poll

Should future Womens FA Cup finals be held at Wembley?

Yes
11 (84.6%)
No
1 (7.7%)
Not sure
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Should future Womens FA Cup finals be held at Wembley?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline raefil

• View Profile
Should future Womens FA Cup finals be held at Wembley?
« on: March 04, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »
Its an interesting debate thats been taking place on twitter would be interested to capture the feeling on here about it.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
Re: Should future Womens FA Cup finals be held at Wembley?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 02:24:05 PM »
Unfortunately i think on Twitter you're going to get the usual ignorant, sexist morons so it can never really be a debate.

Opposite end of the spectrum on here, as you have a forum full of women's football supporters who are going to be biased.

I voted yes of course  :D Because it should, if they can have minor men's cup comps there where only half the ground is open why not hold the women's cup there. I'm sure it would attract a good crowd as it's Wembley, which has all the history, magic and prestige of a great day out, which lets face it (with no disrespect meant) Milton Keynes doesn't have. More people would turn out to watch just because it's Wembley.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Sylvain

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »
I voted yes and I think it will happen in the future. It is just a question of money for the FA.

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »
I voted not sure. We don't know the financial side of things, which I think is the key to this really.

There is a huge legacy debt associated with Wembley >£250m, and so they need big money making events. I'm not sure that women's football falls into this category. If a match at Wembley was ultimately a money loser, which seems likely, then I would rather see that money spent elsewhere.

I also like the idea of matches such as internationals, FA Cup final etc being shown around the country. It gives more people the chance to see games, and there are enough things based in London already.

Offline BeautifulGame

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:56:16 PM »
Yes, I believe it could be made to work and would be very aspirational. I've seen women's rugby internationals take place at Twickenham after the men's game, so perhaps if the financial viability of a standalone date is questionable, why not hold it after the men's cup final? Also, I went to the Olympic semi-final and final at Wembley and these were amazing occasions where there was no home interest at all. I appreciate this is a little different but if the marketeers put their hats on...

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 04:40:17 AM »
Realistically it has to be at a weekend

Weekends in May at Wembley are packed with men's finals, internationals, special events like concerts, boxing etc.

Holding it linked to a men's final is a possibility but surely best done before /after the Vase or Trophy final when the ground is only 20/30 per cent full for the men's match is more to the point.

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »
For me I would have to say Not Yet. We went to about 3 or 4 consecutive Cup Finals when they were at the City Ground & Pride Park; it was packed and it was great. The attendance at the Ricoh not too good, then the venue changed to Bristol and now MK. Last season there were less than 5000 fans. Even the Continental Cup was fairly central 1st time around, but then went South.

I think that the location has got to be accessable to as many Womens Football fans as possible because there are less of us. A trip to Wembley - though idyllic - would not be cost effective for the FA and for many is too far away for many fans.
There are a number of good options in the Midlands (City Ground, Pride Park, Villla Park etc) so they should be used as they are some of the most geographically central stadia in England. The fan base has to be built up again as it seems to have dropped off a little.

Once the fan base is bigger and the crowds start rising for WSL league games, then yeah lets go for Wembley.  I would say 3-5 years; once WSL2 has bedded in.