Author Topic: FA WSL Continental Cup 2014  (Read 9486 times)

Offline pat51

• View Profile
Re: FA WSL Continental Cup 2014
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 05:06:52 PM »
Fascinating match at Farnborough

Reading 'parked three buses' after going ahead in Emma Hayes' words and nearly got it right.

They restricted Chelsea to a couple of headers and a couple of goalmouth scrambles from 80 per cent possession but were undone by Aluko's fine backheeled goal...the only time she was on target all night..and a sickening keeper error late on.

Fran Kirby was immense as the lone striker occupying the entire back line virtually single handed.

224 was the attendance given.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 06:40:06 PM »
3-0 Sunderland in the end. It was a better game as i expected, Durham created a few chances in the first half they maybe could have done better with but overall Sunderland deserved the win.

We created loads of chances, hit the bar and post and still scored two good goals. The second half was virtually all Sunderland.

Durham play Donny next, they could be looking at 5 defeats in a row  ??? They (and us tbh) should try a few of the young/fringe players for this comp considering the other teams in the group, we're not going to finish in the top 2.

Hopefully Durham can get that win under their belts they need soon, to give them a boost.

Missed the game due to working away but sounded a bit better.
Did play a lot of youngsters and fringe players by the sound of it.  I know Jen King and Caroline Dixon didn't play who are probably the 2 most experienced players in the squad. Hopefully Durham can keep learning and improving.

You didn't miss a lot tbf. It was played in cool, misty conditions which got worse as the night went on. We had a couple of changes as well, young Emma Kelly the most obvious and she did well, but didn't really se a lot of the ball.

This is the highlights of the game but it basically just shows the SAFC ladies chances and the GK/Forward collision - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6OOcBm5asQ
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline Anita_Shorty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 06:43:27 AM »
Are you travelling down for tonights game Steve?

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »

I'm not unfortunately :( I take it you'll be there though? Enjoy the game, hope it's a gud'n  ;)
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 04:02:16 PM »
3-0 Sunderland in the end. It was a better game as i expected, Durham created a few chances in the first half they maybe could have done better with but overall Sunderland deserved the win.

We created loads of chances, hit the bar and post and still scored two good goals. The second half was virtually all Sunderland.

Durham play Donny next, they could be looking at 5 defeats in a row  ??? They (and us tbh) should try a few of the young/fringe players for this comp considering the other teams in the group, we're not going to finish in the top 2.

Hopefully Durham can get that win under their belts they need soon, to give them a boost.

Missed the game due to working away but sounded a bit better.
Did play a lot of youngsters and fringe players by the sound of it.  I know Jen King and Caroline Dixon didn't play who are probably the 2 most experienced players in the squad. Hopefully Durham can keep learning and improving.

You didn't miss a lot tbf. It was played in cool, misty conditions which got worse as the night went on. We had a couple of changes as well, young Emma Kelly the most obvious and she did well, but didn't really se a lot of the ball.

This is the highlights of the game but it basically just shows the SAFC ladies chances and the GK/Forward collision - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6OOcBm5asQ

Just saw the FAWSL highlights they at least show a few of the Durham chances - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ3MYf48AMk

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 07:01:54 PM »
Any chance we can just end this game after 45 minutes? It'll be 6-0 by that time no real point playing the 2nd half  :D

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 07:29:46 PM »
Phew! Only 4-0  :(

Absolutely battered, looks like the girls just haven't turned up, and you have to be at 110% against a side like Liverpool. Following the GOTB and SAFC Ladies commentary on twitter and Liverpool created a chance on average about every 3 or 4 minutes.

We need to be a lot better in the second half or this could get very depressing (and embarrassing) :-[
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:31:25 PM by Mackem Steve »

Sylvain

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 08:37:26 PM »
I really didn't expect that kind of scoreline. 6-0 just a bizzare result.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 08:45:23 PM »
Whats this i'm feeling... hurt, disappointment, humiliation... surely not, that's normally reserved for the mens team  :D

Seriously though, no excuses. I remember someone once saying "total domination from start to finish" on here, can't remember who it was or what game it was, but that quote definitely applies here  ;)

Credit to Liverpool, totally deserved on the night and could have won by a lot more  :-[

Will be very interesting to see how SAFC Ladies respond to this, they're not used to losing, never mind humiliating defeats like this.

I really didn't expect that kind of scoreline. 6-0 just a bizzare result.

We just didn't turn up, and you cant afford to do that against a side like Liverpool. It could have been double figures   :(
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:49:05 PM by Mackem Steve »

49yardtapin

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 08:53:02 PM »
No fight, no desire from Sunderland tonight allowed liverpool to play, some didn't look interested. Soon as they lost the ball just gave up and walked. Worst I've ever seen Sunderland. Went for damage limitation at 4-0 before halftime with Mead in midfield!!?

Awful.

Offline Anita_Shorty

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014, 12:49:25 PM »
Going to this game I was nervous to be honest - Liverpool haven't been on form of late - struggling to score or finish on target - and when we played Sunderland in the FA Cup I thought Sunderland had played well and we're unlucky not to come away with anything.
Last night they seemed a very different Sunderland side though! Looked very much like Liverpool did in the FA cup game against Everton - didn't want to be there and never really turned up. I think Sunderland only had one or two chances on goal - dani gibbons was rarely tested in out goal.
Hopefully this will be the confidence boost Liverpool need - away at city next then notts county away.

Offline Anita_Shorty

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2014, 12:50:39 PM »

I'm not unfortunately :( I take it you'll be there though? Enjoy the game, hope it's a gud'n  ;)

Aye we were there - banners and chants in full force!

Only 400 odd last night turned out - 700 odd on Wednesday against everton

Sylvain

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 05:59:20 AM »
Durham, Aston Villa and Watford are out of the Continental Cup after loosing their second game. 3 dead rubbers for those teams.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 09:16:52 AM »

Your champions banner?  ;)

Not making excuses as we weren't good enough on the night by a long way, but people have to remember that Sunderland are still only an amateur side, and don't train as often as some WSL 1 sides do. They clearly struggle with 3 games in a week fitness wise. I saw it first hand v Reading and it sounds like that could be some of the reason for Saturday's performance. Juggling work with training then having to play 3 games a week wouldn't be easy for anyone. If it's good enough an excuse in the premier league (professional level) for players and managers then it's certainly good enough at this level.

Not an excuse, but a valid point.

Sylvain

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 10:20:30 AM »
The fitness problem was mentioned by the Everton manager Andy Spence and also was clearly see in Birmingham yesterday.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »
Aye and the problem is you then just get 2 teams who are playing against each other tired, and the standard drops. And no one wants that at a time when we're trying to promote the women's game as the decent standard it is.

I'm sure some fixtures could have been arranged better. For example why do Sunderland have no games between the 3rd and 15th of May, then have 3 games in 10 days again (We play Donny on Thurs 15th 7.45pm kick-off then play London Bees on Sun 18th 12pm kick off  ???). Couldn't that Conti Cup game against Donny have been played sometime within the next week? I don't understand having free weekends then clogging the fixtures up. Ah well it is what it is i suppose, just doesn't seem to make sense.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:40:49 AM by Mackem Steve »

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
Down to international calender Steve. This must be the only country, in the world, where we have a summer break and no winter break :)

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 11:15:42 AM »
Ahh ok, i didn't look at possible International fixtures before a typed that  :D

Still though, it's something that could be looked at but probably wont be. After all as i mentioned before it's the reason some Cup Comps in the mens game aren't taken seriously until the latter stages (League Cup and Europa League and in recent years even the FA Cup). If professionals who don't work struggle with it i think women at this level can be forgiven for doing the same.

Offline Anita_Shorty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 07:57:25 AM »

Your champions banner?  ;)

Not making excuses as we weren't good enough on the night by a long way, but people have to remember that Sunderland are still only an amateur side, and don't train as often as some WSL 1 sides do. They clearly struggle with 3 games in a week fitness wise. I saw it first hand v Reading and it sounds like that could be some of the reason for Saturday's performance. Juggling work with training then having to play 3 games a week wouldn't be easy for anyone. If it's good enough an excuse in the premier league (professional level) for players and managers then it's certainly good enough at this level.

Not an excuse, but a valid point.

That's right - gotta get the use out of it - it may be unusable next year! Ha ha!

Offline davey

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2014, 11:37:22 PM »
Tonight, Belles went 2 down to sunderland and were worthy winners. If they play like that for the rest of the season, then promotion is guaranteed. A pleasure to watch an organised and committed team. Belles did not turn up for most of the 90 mins.