Author Topic: FA WSL Continental Cup 2014  (Read 12492 times)

Sylvain

FA WSL Continental Cup 2014
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »
Bizzare format this year with 3 groups of 6

Group 1

Watford, Bees, Reading, Chelsea, Millwall, Arsenal

Group 2

Everton, Sunderland, City, Durham, Doncaster, Liverpool

Group 3

Yeovil, Oxford, Villa, Notts County, Bristol, Birmingham

We don't know if 4 or 8 teams qualify overall.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:07:20 PM by Sylvain »

YTLFC

Re: FA WSL Continental Cup 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 07:32:57 PM »
Three group winners, plus best runner up qualify from the groups for the semi finals. hope that helps :)

Sylvain

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 09:39:15 PM »
Three group winners, plus best runner up qualify from the groups for the semi finals. hope that helps :)
Thanks, same formula as in the development cup then. Why I dont get is the FA informs the clubs, but dont make the information available to public. I has asked them many times to publish the FA WSL 2014 handbook, but it seems like a secret thing unpublishable...

YTLFC

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:03:47 PM »
Don't think they are secret! Where we see questions like this pop up, we are happy to answer them where we can!

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:52:36 PM »
Don't think they are secret! Where we see questions like this pop up, we are happy to answer them where we can!

the fa dont publish them?, are you on the fa commitee?

YTLFC

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:04:04 PM »
Happy to answer questions on the rules where we can. You will need to ask the FA about when the rules will be published generally. No doubt they will be as the 2013 version were.

Sylvain

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »
I received a copy from the FA this morning, already emailed it to 6 persons who were interested.
The FA should really publish the rules.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 04:19:22 PM »
Looking forward to tonights match against Durham, expect us to dominate from...

Seriously though, expecting this game to be tougher, having played them not too long ago they know a little bit more about us and will have a point to try and prove. I'm sure determination and desire alone will make them tough for us.

Still fancy us for a win though, i'm going 2-0 Sunderland, Meado the Magnificent with the goals  :D
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Sylvain

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »
FT Liverpool 0 Everton 0
HT Sunderland 1 Durham 0
HT Notts County 4 Aston Villa 0  :o

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 06:29:27 AM »
3-0 Sunderland in the end. It was a better game as i expected, Durham created a few chances in the first half they maybe could have done better with but overall Sunderland deserved the win.

We created loads of chances, hit the bar and post and still scored two good goals. The second half was virtually all Sunderland.

Durham play Donny next, they could be looking at 5 defeats in a row  ??? They (and us tbh) should try a few of the young/fringe players for this comp considering the other teams in the group, we're not going to finish in the top 2.

Hopefully Durham can get that win under their belts they need soon, to give them a boost.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Sylvain

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 11:17:15 AM »
Well I think that group is very very open. I bet Liverpool, Everton, Sunderland and the Belles will all be in contention for the top of the group. But I expect a few more draws so the best runner-up might come from group 1 or 3.
I would not be surprised if the Belles or Sunderland finish 2nd in the group.
Liverpool current level isn't as high as it could be as they have 2 fit forwards only.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 06:34:42 PM »
Well I think that group is very very open. I bet Liverpool, Everton, Sunderland and the Belles will all be in contention for the top of the group. But I expect a few more draws so the best runner-up might come from group 1 or 3.
I would not be surprised if the Belles or Sunderland finish 2nd in the group.
Liverpool current level isn't as high as it could be as they have 2 fit forwards only.

I admire your optimism Sylvain and will of course dream of us coming at least 2nd, but i can't see it happening being realistic. We have 2 games at home and 3 away. Everton at home will be hard enough, but Doncaster, Man City and Liverpool away will be even harder.

It's a tough group we'll see what happens, looking forward to Saturday night and Liverpool away hope the girls do themselves proud and at least give them a good game  :)

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 09:48:45 PM »
Smug doesnt even touch the sides here! Belles 2-1 City  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sylvain

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 12:40:35 AM »
That result is definitely a slap on the face to the FA.

As seen tonight I am sure Sunderland can get something at City and we know that Liverpool are struggling with injuries and basically use the same 10 players as starters at the moment.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 06:24:16 AM »
My word Sylvain, you've almost got me convinced...  :)

Aye good result for the Belles, they're gonna play every match this season with a point to prove aren't they.

Offline Anita_Shorty

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 08:44:06 AM »
Gotta say - i'm not convinced Liverpool will win tomorrow against Sunderland!

A draw i think! Probably a goaless one if Liverpool's performance on Wednesday is anything to go by!!!

Offline Cestria Galaxy fan

• View Profile
    • South Durham & Cestria match reports
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 09:05:33 AM »
3-0 Sunderland in the end. It was a better game as i expected, Durham created a few chances in the first half they maybe could have done better with but overall Sunderland deserved the win.

We created loads of chances, hit the bar and post and still scored two good goals. The second half was virtually all Sunderland.

Durham play Donny next, they could be looking at 5 defeats in a row  ??? They (and us tbh) should try a few of the young/fringe players for this comp considering the other teams in the group, we're not going to finish in the top 2.

Hopefully Durham can get that win under their belts they need soon, to give them a boost.

Missed the game due to working away but sounded a bit better.
Did play a lot of youngsters and fringe players by the sound of it.  I know Jen King and Caroline Dixon didn't play who are probably the 2 most experienced players in the squad. Hopefully Durham can keep learning and improving.
@solar_concept for regular Twitter updates on scores, match reports etc

Sylvain

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 09:45:14 AM »
Gotta say - i'm not convinced Liverpool will win tomorrow against Sunderland!

A draw i think! Probably a goaless one if Liverpool's performance on Wednesday is anything to go by!!!
I think Liverpool attacking play is a bit more predictable than usual at the moment due to the lack of option and I am sure the Sunderland coaching staff will have studied all the dvds. 

Offline allibee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »
As I said earlier this season, at the end of the day it is a tough ask for clubs from the combos with no experience of even WPL. Good luck to them on their steep learning curves though and see where the end of the season finds them both, makes for interesting table watching anyway

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »