Author Topic: Senior WC qualifier vs Montenegro  (Read 3273 times)

Offline allibee

• View Profile
Senior WC qualifier vs Montenegro
« on: February 05, 2014, 04:00:54 PM »
Will be hosted at the Amex by Brighton and Hove Albion on 5 April

Sylvain

Mark Sampson names England Women's squad for Montenegro
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »
Mark Sampson has kept faith with the majority of the England Women’s squad that finished runners-up at the Cyprus Cup for the World Cup qualifier against Montenegro next month.

There is a return to the fold for Arsenal defender Casey Stoney following a foot operation as she replaces club mate Jordan Nobbs, who has been ruled out with a back complaint. Meanwhile, Birmingham City goalkeeper Mary Earps comes in for Lizzie Durack.

Karen Bardsley and Rachel Brown-Finnis are still recovering from a foot and groin injury respectively.
England v Montenegro

Sampson’s side will take on Montenegro on Saturday 5 April at Brighton & Hove Albion’s Amex Stadium in what will be his first World Cup qualifier since being appointed Head Coach in December. The match will be broadcast live on BBC One.

England are currently in top spot in Group 6, with a 100 per cent record after four games.

Sampson said: "It is great for us to get back together so soon after our time in Cyprus which was a camp we took many positives from.

"There is a real sense of optimism within the group about the journey we have set out on. We have made a positive start, one we are keen to build on.

"The match in Brighton signifies the first competitive outing for this new England team and, as importantly, the first opportunity for our supporters to share the experience with the players.

"We are determined to engage with our supporters for the first time while continuing the early progress we have made with a brave and ambitious performance against Montenegro."

Tickets for the game are on sale now priced £5 for adults and £2.50 for children and concessions. A family ticket is available at £10 (two adults, two children).

Squad in full

Goalkeepers
Siobhan Chamberlain (Arsenal), Mary Earps (Birmingham City), Carly Telford (Notts County)
Defenders
Laura Bassett (Chelsea), Gemma Bonner (Liverpool), Sophie Bradley (Notts County), Lucy Bronze (Liverpool), Alex Greenwood (Everton), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Alex Scott (Arsenal), Demi Stokes (University of South Florida), Casey Stoney (Arsenal)
Midfielders
Anita Asante (Malmo), Karen Carney (Birmingham City), Jade Moore (Birmingham City), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Liverpool),
Forwards
Eniola Aluko (Chelsea), Natasha Dowie (Liverpool), Toni Duggan (Manchester City), Lianne Sanderson (Boston Breakers), Kelly Smith (Arsenal), Ellen White (Notts County).

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/england/womens/2014/mar/squad-list-montenegro-world-cup-qualifier-brighton-april

Sylvain

Re: Senior WC qualifier vs Montenegro
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 05:08:03 PM »
I find it curious to see Gemma dropped as she played well in the final against us.

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 12:22:55 AM »
Dissapointing decision to leave davison out! Can bring so much to a match. Hope she's included next time.

Offline Anita_Shorty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:20:41 AM »
I find it curious to see Gemma dropped as she played well in the final against us.

I agree.

And Kelly Smith back in? Didn't look convincing in champs league against birmingham.

49yardtapin

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
Looks like Smiths legs are gone. Arsenal very low drive from midfield without Little. Maybe he's seen something in Gemma he doesn't like?

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 03:58:28 PM »
I didnt see the 2nd leg but certainly in the 1st leg Kelly Smith was at best poor and, for me anyway, was lucky not to be red carded, constant foul play.

Im a little disappointed, if Im honest, as I honestly thought the old guard would be gone and newer, fresher younger players being tried out. No disrespect but against Montenegro it would be ideal to throw new players in.

Offline Anita_Shorty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 08:30:37 AM »
Looks like Smiths legs are gone. Arsenal very low drive from midfield without Little. Maybe he's seen something in Gemma he doesn't like?

One of the girls who went to watch England play in the cyprus cup said that she had a poor game in the final against France - although - the same person said Fara Williams can't pass a ball - so i'd take what she says with a pinch of salt!

Offline Alan

• View Profile
England-Montenegro, Norwegian report
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:23:54 AM »
To be at an international match at Brighton in southern England was like a small flashback to last year's European Cup.  The 8908 spectators in the stadium set up a massive amount of noise and atmosphere for the World Cup qualification match between England and Montenegro.

The press facilities were great and with a good performance from the home team everything pointed to a special occasion.  In the match itself Montenegro had little to offer and they created one scoring chance in the first 45 minutes, while England peppered them with so many chance that I lost count.

It was a match between the top and bottom of the group, between England who had a 20-0 goal difference before the match, and Montenegro who arrived with a goal difference of 3-13.  The difference could be seen clearly in the American Express Community Stadium in Brighton as England dominated from the first second.  Very quickly Toni Duggan netted the first goal for the hosts, and the home side continued along the same track until half time when the score stood at 4-0 after another goal from Duggan and one each from Eniola Aluko and Jill Scott.

Even so they could have scored many more goals, with shots on the posts, goals disallowed and possible penalty claims, while goalkeeper Marija Zizic made several good saves.  The second half was like the first, with goals by Karen Carney, Lianne Sanderson, Demi Stokes, Natasha Dowie and Duggan who completed her hat-trick.  England now have five straight wins and a 29-0 goal difference, and are well on their way to the World Cup.  They last lost a qualification match when they lost 1-0 away to France in November 2012.

The Fan Zone was very popular at the European Cup last year and it was good to see another country taking up the Swedish idea.  With extra activities round the stadium the FA and Brighton & Hove FC created extra excitement round the match.  Spectators turned up early to take part in the many activities such as tricks, goal-shooting, face-painting, music and not least autographs by local and international players.  What the FA and the club did was very impressive.

In the stands life was good in the crowd of almost 9000.  The stadium was under half-full but it had the feel of a full stadium.  There was noise and atmosphere right through the match, especially at the end when England were going for another goal and the shout of "We want ten!" went up.

"It would have been great to get a tenth for the supporters, but scoring nine goals and keeping a clean scoresheet, as well as playing the way we did, leaves us feeling very pleased", said England's chief trainer Mark Sampson to FotballMagasinet.  

England's new captain, Steph Houghton, captaining the side for the first time on Saturday, also wanted a two-figure result for the crowd.  "To hear the supporters shouting "We want ten" gave us an extra push to go for the tenth goal, but unfortunately we didn't make it", she said to FotballMagasinet.

There were 30-40 press people there, journalists and photographers, and that really made me realise how far women's football in England has gone in the last few years.  Sampson wants to build a team that the supporters can be proud of.  "I think it's important for us to be a team that can create excitement and can inspire people.  We want to be a team that people can follow and feel they own.  Whether it's supporters in the stands or on TV it's important for people to feel proud to support us", said the trainer.

Lianne Sanderson plays for Boston Breakers in the USA but on Saturday she was back in England to play for the team for the first time in four years.  She has noticed a big development in women's football in the football island.  "In the four years I have been away I can definitely see a big improvement in women's football in England.  The work round the matches, the facilities and the way the girls are respected by the whole country is fantastic to see.  I think it's an exciting time for English women's football", Sanderson told FotballMagasinet.  

Andreas Kristoffer Berge http://fotballmagasinet.no/?mode=news&id=27416
Andreas's photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151938683201626.1073741841.354088481625&type=1
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:33:57 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Sylvain

Re: Mark Sampson names England Women's squad for Montenegro
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 04:33:47 PM »
Mary Earps (Birmingham City), Gemma Bonner (Liverpool), Sophie Bradley (Notts County), Anita Asante (Malmo), Kelly Smith (Arsenal)

Those are the players not in the 18 against Montenegro

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »
Im one who has a lot of criticisms for the FA but the way they treated the family of Sam Patterson - Sleep was absolutely top notch. One of those occasions where it makes you proud to be a part of the bigger footballing family.