Author Topic: Sampson's squad for La Manga  (Read 4963 times)

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
Sampson's squad for La Manga
« on: December 18, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »
Below is Mark Sampson's 1st England Senior squad for the La Manga training camp (c/o SheKicks). I have highlighted in bold all those players that weren't at Hope's camp this time last year. There are plenty of new faces but he is taking 6 more players than Hope did last year...

Goalkeepers
Karen Bardsley (Manchester City), Rachel Brown-Finnis (Everton), Siobhan Chamberlain (Bristol Academy)

Defenders
Laura Bassett (Chelsea), Gemma Bonner (Liverpool), Sophie Bradley (Notts County), Lucy Bronze (Liverpool), Rachel Daly (LA Strikers), Gilly Flaherty (Arsenal), Alex Greenwood (Everton), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Jemma Rose (Bristol Academy), Alex Scott (Arsenal), Demi Stokes (University of South Florida), Dunia Susi (Chelsea), Corinne Yorston (Bristol Academy)

Midfielders
Anita Asante (Malmo), Jade Moore (Birmingham City), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Liverpool)

Forwards
Eniola Aluko (Chelsea), Karen Carney (Birmingham City), Danielle Carter (Arsenal), Gemma Davison (Liverpool), Natasha Dowie (Liverpool), Toni Duggan (Manchester City), Lianne Sanderson (Boston Breakers), Jodie Taylor (Sydney), Ellen White (Arsenal).

Sylvain

Re: Sampson's squad for La Manga
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 09:25:13 AM »
Great interview from Mark Smapson on shekicks

http://www.shekicks.net/flog/blogs/post/897

Some interesting extracts :

On those philosophies:
“Making sure that we represent the country in the right way. We want to be a hardworking and honest group that really want to put a shift in for England. We want to play modern football – being on the front foot, trying to play attractive football. We’ll be looking to use good old-fashioned English values – hard work, aggressive pressing of the ball, attacking football that supporters can enjoy.”

Big change from Powell here

On bringing in other staff:
“We’re looking to appoint a [goalkeeping] coach for the first team but also a full-time goalkeeping coach who will be responsible for every woman goalkeeper in the UK. It’s a position we want to develop world class players in.”

Great news here, Brown and Bardsley should be worried now  ;D

On choosing a captain:
“We haven’t selected a captain. Casey is the current captain and again I’ve had a conversation with her to explain that for La Manga there will be a competitive international so we will have to make a decision, but that’s the position we need to think about and make sure we make the right decision. Casey is certainly someone we would consider for that role because of her experience, her quality and when she is back in the squad it is certainly a discussion we’ll have to have.”

Oops for Stoney  :P

On giving previously overlooked players a clean slate:
“I will judge people how I find them and it is important when they are on camp, not just how they are playing but how they conduct themselves, how positive their attitude is and how they work with their team mates. They are the type of skills I’m going to be assessing in this first camp. I hope a lot of the players outside the squad are still excited by the appointment and they know that if they can perform well for their clubs and work hard in their training programmes they will be given an opportunity if we deem it right.”

On the atmosphere in his camp:
“We want an atmosphere which is conducive to producing a world class team. Sometimes that’s going to be with lots of smiles on faces, sometimes that’s going to be with a lot of sweat, tears and hard work. It’s important we do produce that environment because we want to compete with some of the best teams in the world. We want to put some foundations in place in the early camps. The players have got to come in, be incredibly professional and understand they are representing their country whether that be on the training pitch, in the field or out and about and that’s important for me.”

49yardtapin

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:07:33 AM »
You would only hope he'd be positive. We all know it needs a revamp, although I thought Keith Rees had the GK position full time? Beyond the three picked I can't see any other outstanding keepers ( i know you like Telford but not for me at the moment). also as no GK coach what will they do in La Manga :D

Brent appointed is interestnig as in the last few games the team seemed more positive and Mark and Dan Ashworth will have massive inputs into what Brent can implement.

Think Stoney's time is limited now 34 when the world cup comes along and there are better centre half around now who will be around for longer, it's about who ihe sees with him for the next four years.

Read the words about Kelly Smith. Is she still too good to ignore when fit? Perhaps so. Chapman would be a welcome addition particuarly as there is a noticable lack of midfielders in camparison to Strikers and Defenders.

Overviewing the squad there are some that will not in the next one however the 23 that will be picked will make for a very competitive and strong squad.

Interesting to note that he mentions playing players in club positions, so there are at three no 9's in the squad. Interesting first team indeed...

Take it the game is behind closed doors?

Sylvain

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 10:20:58 AM »
No it is played at the main pitch at La Manga, I think it will not be as secret as with Hope Powell. In previous years they would not even mention those games v Norway despite being regular occurence.

Thinking about it they can have Carter, Aluko, Dowie, Duggan, Sanderson, Taylor, White and Daly up front as number 9 although I feel Sanderson is better as a 9 1/2 or 10.

Maybe he has removed Keith Rees and some of Powell backroom staff ??? In France Bergeroo got rid of everyone when he came in keeping the video analayst and the behind the scene video guy only. The other 10 staff all went...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:32:16 AM by Sylvain »

49yardtapin

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 10:36:55 AM »
Still no Potter?

Think he's given all the video, physio etc as all there under the FA. maybe more coaches to come in as only two at the moment for the outfield.

Daly is a fullback been doing well upfront, what's the standard like she's up against though?

ooh lets do possible first XI then!

Bardsley/Chamberlain

3. Bronze
4. Houghton
5. Bonner
2. A.Scott

6. Williams
8. J.Scott
10. Sanderson/Nobbs

11. Carney
9. Duggan/Dowie
7. Davison

Some where I can't decide who, good thing im not in charge ey.

Sylvain

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 10:50:52 AM »
I think Rachel Daly is a former center-forward converted to defense by the England youth coaches...

1. Chamberlain

2. Bronze
4. Bonner or Rose
5. Flaherty
3. Greenwood or Yorston

6. Asante
8. Nobbs

7. Davison
9.  Dowie  
10.  Duggan or Taylor or Sanderson
11. Carney
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 11:07:19 AM by Sylvain »

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »
and right on cue Chamberlain signs for Arsenal?  I find that odd really, will she be number 2 behind Byrne?

Sylvain

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
and right on cue Chamberlain signs for Arsenal?  I find that odd really, will she be number 2 behind Byrne?
I am sure they started negociating while someone wanted to show Byrne the door...
Siobhan actually leaves in the same area as me nowadays.

Sylvain

Christiansen promoted to senior squad for La Manga trip
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 02:35:16 PM »
The Birmingham City 22-year-old, who has been promoted from the Under-23s, will replace Sydney striker Jodie Taylor, who has had to withdraw from the squad due to club commitments.

Christiansen has represented England at every level from the U17s to Under-23s and she was a key part of the U19 squad that won the European Championship in Belarus in 2009.

The La Manga camp, which will incorporate a friendly against Norway, will be Mark Sampson’s first assignment as England’s new Head Coach.

The Under-23s will also be in southern Spain next week for some warm-weather training.

Both squads will meet up on Sunday 12 January.

La Manga squad in full:

Goalkeepers
Karen Bardsley (Manchester City), Rachel Brown-Finnis (Everton), Siobhan Chamberlain (Arsenal)
Defenders
Laura Bassett (Chelsea), Gemma Bonner (Liverpool), Sophie Bradley (Notts County), Lucy Bronze (Liverpool), Rachel Daly (LA Strikers), Gilly Flaherty (Arsenal), Alex Greenwood (Everton), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Jemma Rose (Bristol Academy), Alex Scott (Arsenal), Demi Stokes (University of South Florida), Dunia Susi (Chelsea), Corinne Yorston (Bristol Academy)
Midfielders
Anita Asante (Malmo), Jade Moore (Birmingham City), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Liverpool)
Forwards
Eniola Aluko (Chelsea), Karen Carney (Birmingham City),Danielle Carter (Arsenal), Isobel Christiansen* (Birmingham City), Gemma Davison (Liverpool), Natasha Dowie (Liverpool), Toni Duggan (Manchester City), Lianne Sanderson (Boston Breakers), Ellen White (Notts County).

* replaced Jodie Taylor

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/womens/2014/jan/isobel-christiansen-called-up-senior-squad-la-manga-jodie-taylor

Bad idea from Taylor to pull out.

49yardtapin

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 02:52:14 PM »
If it was the former regime then surely she would be banned for life!

Sylvain

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 03:46:11 PM »
Well she was lol and it won't help her case.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 04:38:26 PM »
If it was the former regime then surely she would be banned for life!

it may yet happen. >:(

Sylvain

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 04:56:36 PM »
I don't get it, she has waited for a chance for a long time and now she's got it, she just pulls out.

Sylvain

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
England will play Ireland on the 16th and Norway on the 17th at La Manga.

http://lamangaclub.com/Football-Matches

Sylvain

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
England 1 Ireland 0 goal by White.
I think the B squad played today and the A team will play Norway.
There was a picture on twitter taken from the stand but difficult to see who was playing.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 11:04:05 PM »
probably the u15s

Sylvain

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
England v Norway :

Bardsley, A Scott Houghton Bronze Stokes, Williams Nobbs Carney. Aluko Sanderson Duggan

Subs : Chamberlain Greenwood Bassett Bonner J Scott Davison White

Dropped : Brown, Bradley, Daly, Rose, Susi, Yorston, Asante, Moore, Carter, Christiansen

Injured : Flaherty, Dowie

Bold newbies, italics player used in another position by Powell.

Some of Powell's senator are in danger of loosing their place with Sampson's arrival.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:21:07 PM by Sylvain »

49yardtapin

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 03:10:01 PM »
1-0 at Half time...Aluko

Sylvain

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 04:24:38 PM »
Full time 1-1 Sampson out  ;D just kidding