Author Topic: WSL Div 2  (Read 54407 times)

49yardtapin

Re: WSL Div 2
« Reply #360 on: May 02, 2013, 11:44:04 AM »
That affiliation to a men's club is a new thing ? I don't remember reading it as a main point in the requirement ? Will re-read them but I think the FA moved the goalpost again.
I think they move the goalposts according to whichever club is applying.  Blackburn rovers application was blocked because the links to the club were too close.

Sure Rovers made it clear they pulled their app. did poeple know what they were doing with the app in the first place.

Offline CGRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 02, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »
In the light of recent developments - renaming, re-branding, relocation and mergers - in order for clubs to secure WSL 1 and 2 status, the question has to be asked, is greater emphasis on marketing and money a way forward for the womens game?

With more emphasis clearly being placed on marketing and business planning and the lurch towards franchising of WSL Licences, one has to consider if the FA have a grander plan in place for the womens game. The FA have certain targets they want franchisees to meet in terms of finance and attendance at matches, lets say for example that team A consistently fail to draw that number of spectators, what will happen - will the FA  put the club on notice that they must do better or lose the franchise or will the club be allowed to move to an area where  customer demographic has a greater potential yield?

Alternatively it may be in a clubs wider marketing and financial interests to merge, rename or re-brand to secure a better financial future for the owners of the franchise (the FA) or the franchisee.

Do we really want to follow the mens game down the route of pursuing investment from any source no matter how dubious that source may be? We already have a major American sports franchise, a medieval middle eastern monarchy (who barely recognise womens existance, let alone rights in their own country)  and an alleged money launderer involved in the WSL in some shape or form.

In the mens game - hardly a glowing example of business ethics and financial propriety I know - you have the leagues (The Premiership, Football League, Conference etc) at least able to offer some alternative viewpoint to the FA.  As of 2014 the FA - arguably the countrys least successful and most dysfunctional sporting body - will be running the three top leagues in the womens game ie WSL 1&2 and the 'Championship'.

Offline allibee

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 03, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »
Just read on the BBC sport page that the FA won't be commenting on anything until the 2 week appeal period has passed

Sylvain

« Reply #363 on: May 03, 2013, 01:28:22 PM »
In the light of recent developments - renaming, re-branding, relocation and mergers - in order for clubs to secure WSL 1 and 2 status, the question has to be asked, is greater emphasis on marketing and money a way forward for the womens game?

Yes, more money means better playing/training conditions for the girls to be proper prfossional players. 
There are many professional women teams in Europe and this is all due to proper investment and big budgets.

Offline CGRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 03, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »

Yes, more money means better playing/training conditions for the girls to be proper prfossional players. 
There are many professional women teams in Europe and this is all due to proper investment and big budgets.

Without  doubt if a governing body adopts the right strategy and invests in it properly a professional womens league could emerge.  The huge disadvantage we have over the rest of the female football world however is the girls game is run by the sweet FA - the singularly least successful governing body in the history of the sport, whose investment in the womens game is paltry and as an organisation are far more willing to listen to the glib marketing speak than take the advice of clubs.

This whole venture is based on gates that no club playing currently has come anywhere near achieving. Even after the marketing bonanza of the Olympics with 70,000 plus packing Wembley, the next WSL fixture still recorded an attendance numbered in the hundreds.  Investors in a professional womens game will be looking for returns on that investment. The FA has already placed a timescale on when their financial support will cease, so all the clubs current investment will have to at least double at a time when the wider economy is at best flat lining.

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 04, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
Is it just me - or is this strange considering recent announcements.  Or have I missed something http://www.lincolnladiesfc.com/news/meet_lincoln_ladies_newest_star.html

Offline allibee

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 05, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »
According to the Pompey manager on local radio, it did indeed have a lot to do with the fortunes of the men's club who, in the past, would not even answer emails to their community section if I remember correctly. It seems someone from the supporters trust who have now brought the men's club did go along to the presentation and q and a at Wembley, but didn't really cut any ice due to their own situation being up in the air on the day. Had the men's club been sorted 6 months earlier it may well have been a different story.
Also, following the FAs feedback, they had to decide whether it was going to be 'worth it' to appeal on other unmentioned grounds. Surely anything is worth it to be part of the top tiers?

Interestingly she mentioned that the FA were looking to add possibly 4 more clubs to the WSL 'in the future'... however near or far that is is anyone's guess!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:28:08 AM by allibee »

Sylvain

« Reply #367 on: May 05, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »
Well they will reopen in 2018 for sure...or the can withdraw any teams licence as they please if a team does not fulfill its obligation.

Offline allibee

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 05, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
I got the impression she meant before 2018.

Local commentary today says Pompey ladies will be having talks in the very immediate future re partnerships with the mens club. I asked whether that would be regarding any appeal but no reply as yet.

Offline allibee

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 08, 2013, 10:11:06 AM »
Also have it on very good authority that Brighton don't think the fat lady has sung yet on their application. But bearing in mind this season alone the men's club have put in 100k, it can't be just about the money, although if memory serves they do have a deserved reputation for being late for their own funeral so may have rushed and cobbled together a less than stellar application

49yardtapin

« Reply #370 on: May 08, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »
The process can be appealled, but not the decision. Seems a bit of a fruitless exercise.

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 09, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »
isnt it about 2 weeks since the announcement? There seems to be very little since then... does anyone know if any appeals have been heard / carried / rejected?

Offline allibee

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 10, 2013, 12:35:52 AM »
Heard tonight that neither Leeds nor Charlton even got to the interview stage

Offline Brenchers

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 10, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »
Heard tonight that neither Leeds nor Charlton even got to the interview stage

Can't speak for Leeds but Charlton definitely got that far.

Offline allibee

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 10, 2013, 10:52:38 PM »
Chairman of a different club wouldn't agree but, not having been there myself, have to just accept what I'm told....

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 15, 2013, 01:15:23 PM »
Still heard nothing about any appeals. Is this because the FA are being very transparent  ;) or have there been no appeals?

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 15, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »
Still heard nothing about any appeals. Is this because the FA are being very transparent  ;) or have there been no appeals?

Why would the FA announce who has or has not appealed? I would have thought whether a club has appealed or not would come out from the individual clubs rather than from the FA. I would not expect the FA to mention specific clubs who have appealed, they might say that following the appeals process there has been no change to the teams selected etc.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Cestria Galaxy fan

• View Profile
    • South Durham & Cestria match reports
« Reply #377 on: December 20, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »
[url]http://www.fawsl.com/news/introducing_durham_women_fc.html/url]

Interesting info on Durham background.
@solar_concept for regular Twitter updates on scores, match reports etc