Author Topic: Censored Question to Women Play Sport 2013 Conference  (Read 11970 times)

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
Censored Question to Women Play Sport 2013 Conference
« on: December 13, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
From its title I realise that this site is dedicated to the perpetuation of gender segregation in sport, but hopefully schoolgirl footballers are more open-minded and liberal, so would be interested in the question (posted below) that I posed at the Women Play Sport Conference at the beginning of November.  Unsuccessful attempts were made to stop me asking the question.  As a consequence I was told to leave and have now been banned.  As I said in my recent posting Complaint to the BBC about women's football 2 it makes you wonder about the dark Machiavellian forces at work!

Question to Women Play Sport 2013 Conference

I have had cause to read, and reread, the Equality Act 2010, many times.  Section 195 of the Act makes it crystal clear that the opt-out, allowing sport to discriminate by gender, does not extend to children.  Paragraph 4 specifically excludes them.  Furthermore, Part 6 of the Act, which covers all education, makes no reference to, or concessions for, sport whatsoever.
In short this means that schools up and down the country, that are, on a daily basis, either, segregating the sexes for physical education, offering different sports for boys and girls, or, using gender-affected activities, in any form, without good reason, are doing so illegally.  Children, of either sex, or their parents, would be well within their rights to seek legal redress.
Over the past few years I have informed numerous organisations of this - ranging from all secondary schools, women’s interest groups, many government agencies, to every single woman MP.    I have been universally met with either evasive silence or blatant stonewalling.
I suspect that the few who had bothered to read the Act, did not understand it.  Of those who did understand however, I can only conclude, to put it crudely, that they did not have the balls to do anything about it.  Suffragettes must be rolling in their graves!
So my question is - does the Women’s Sport and Fitness Foundation have any balls?

Sylvain

Re: Censored Question to Women Play Sport 2013 Conference
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »
welcome to donkeybusiness.com

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 10:42:54 PM »
Personally I think this poor misunderstood chap has a very good point. Football is not only sexist but ageist, homophobic and awfully discriminatory on the basis of disability too. So I suggest we extend the nuttyfooty idea so that all 22 players have their own section of the pitch to play in and nobody can be really nasty and take the ball off them if they don't want to pass it. No quick wingers getting to the byeline around slow old gits like me. Of course, no one is allowed to tackle as that would give unfair advantage to those players with legs. And no one is allowed to head the ball as that might cause concussion.

All 22 players must have a different combination of gender, sexuality, age band and ethnic origin. At least half the players must have some sort of disability and all goalkeepers must be registered blind. Then I'm sure we'd all be admitted with open arms to every right-thinking football conference in the country...

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »
sadly, i wish he were my mp.
no stone unturned.
equality is the chance to be given equal chances to compete.
it is not a chance to handicap men, so women can equal them.
women are not as fast as men
not as strong as men.
please let women compete against women fairly, (funding)
let men compete against men.
do not handicap men to enable women to pass  them on points.
would you be happy that a female boxer could only beat a man if both of his hands were tied behind his back, probably not.
handicapping is fair only if the competition,has an advantage other than sex.
fund women fairly, that's it, its easy ,stop handicapping males to the point where women can beat them.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 01:11:01 AM »
A magician was working on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. The audience was different each week so he did same tricks over and over.

The problem was, the captain's parrot saw all the shows and began to understand how the magician did every trick.

He started shouting in the middle of the show: 'Look, it's not the same hat. Look, he's hiding the flowers under the table. Hey, why are all the cards the ace of spades?' The magician was furious but, as it was the captain's parrot, he could do nothing. Then one day the ship sank and the magician found himself floating on a piece of wood with the parrot.

They glared at each other but said nothing. Finally, after a week, the parrot said: 'OK, I give up. Where's the boat?'
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 05:02:22 AM »
cuckoo

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
A magician was working on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. The audience was different each week so he did same tricks over and over.

The problem was, the captain's parrot saw all the shows and began to understand how the magician did every trick.

He started shouting in the middle of the show: 'Look, it's not the same hat. Look, he's hiding the flowers under the table. Hey, why are all the cards the ace of spades?' The magician was furious but, as it was the captain's parrot, he could do nothing. Then one day the ship sank and the magician found himself floating on a piece of wood with the parrot.

They glared at each other but said nothing. Finally, after a week, the parrot said: 'OK, I give up. Where's the boat?'

there should be two parrots, 1 male ,1 female, each allotted half of the stage, seriously shouldnt the male and female together thread be in another section and not in womens football?

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »
Agree with bilbo so moved to Off topic

Offline BrianE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »
I'm just surprised they let him in the conference in the first place.

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
I'm just surprised they let him in the conference in the first place.

You know what a tough job security have at these events:

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »
The original question was about balls.  Or was it just that the question was balls?  I'm confused.  Anyway a rambling statement with an unanswerable question tagged on at the end is not a question :).
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 07:44:24 PM »
Plain and simply, every forum needs its lovable little oddbod :)  Fairfootball is ours!

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 08:24:38 PM »
Apologies for not replying sooner but I had assumed that my posting had been removed… I was not aware that it had been relegated to the ‘Off Topic’ footnotes.

I see from the replies that it is the same resident bunch, who, devoid of any cogent arguments, are once again resorting to name-calling and obfuscation.   All I did was to explain the current law, and highlight that it had not been upheld by those who should know better – scandalously many who are women, and in positions of authority in politics and sport!  And, to counter the accusation of being ‘Off Topic’, it was the Football Association that, by raising the age limit for mixed football, had totally undermined any legal defence for the continuation of segregation in schools.

After reading this, I’m sure that any schoolgirl football player will be able to judge who is defending her rights.  If I was a pupil, or parent, then at the very least I would be submitting a written objection to the school – if only just to establish a time marker for any future claim for compensation.   

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 10:19:37 PM »
eh

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 10:09:40 AM »
All I did was to explain the current law, and highlight that it had not been upheld by those who should know better

I would be interested to know if you've ever found a practising lawyer or other Equality professional who has any sympathy with your own personal interpretation of the 2010 Act?

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 03:35:14 PM »

I would be interested to know if you've ever found a practising lawyer or other Equality professional who has any sympathy with your own personal interpretation of the 2010 Act?
[/quote]

An irrelevant  question.  Also sympathy has no legal credence.   Case law (the only one that really matters) has yet to be established in court.

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
An irrelevant  question.  Also sympathy has no legal credence. Case law (the only one that really matters) has yet to be established in court.

By "sympathy" I meant "any slight recognition of merit". Because to go to court you (or a suitable legal guinea pig) have got to find a lawyer who is willing to prosecute a case based on your interpretation. To do so they must agree there is some potential merit in your interpretation - have you ever met such a person?

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 07:39:36 PM »
"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" is a short story written by James Thurber way back in 1939, about a henpecked man who escapes into a fantasy world of danger and heroics to compensate for the depressingly dull life he led in reality.

Screenwriter Steve Conrad adapts the title and the name and over-active imagination of the main character and tells his own original story. An uncharacteristically mature and contemplative Ben Stiller directs and stars in this "labor of love" of a movie project. There is nary a trace of the Ben Stiller in "There's Something About Mary." "Zoolander" or "Dodgeball" in this special film.

Walter Mitty is a timid guy who tends to "space out" and enter into a world of his own where he is able to do wondrously heroic exploits. He is so much of an introvert such that he would rather join an online dating service to meet this girl he fancies, Cheryl, who is also working in his same office.

One day, he misplaces the precious negative of the photograph meant to be the cover of the last issue of Life Magazine. As his job is on the line, Walter needs to look for Sean, the elusive globe-trotting photographer who took that missing photo.

Upon deducing that Sean was in Greenland, Mitty suddenly decides to throw all caution to the wind and just go on a difficult quest to track Sean down. This will be the biggest adventure of his lifetime, a life-changing one at that.

Visually, this film is perfect with its breathtaking cinematography and unobtrusive special effects. Many scenes, particularly those showing Walter skateboarding along highways in Iceland, or climbing the snowy peaks of the Himalayas, were very memorably shot with unique camera range and angles, extolling the beauty of the world around us.

The script does fall into melodrama and sentimentality, but I did not mind this at all. Stiller was very good as Walter, capturing his shyness and cluelessness so sensitively. I liked Walter's moments with his mother, played by Shirley McLaine with pleasant restraint. I also liked Walter's awkward romance with Cheryl played by Kristen Wiig. She was also very relaxed and natural here in a straight role, very much contrasting from her quirky breakout role in "Bridesmaids."

Once we reach the second half of the film, Walter actually stops having fantasies and does things for real already. I realize, of course, that this was the point of the film, that dreams are there to be fulfilled in real life. I just felt it somehow lost the spirit of the source short story at that point.

Despite comparisons with "Forrest Gump," "Walter Mitty" admittedly does not exactly reach those lofty heights. However, upon watching this film, you will wonder how something so beautiful-looking could have been totally shut-out from Oscar or any other award consideration. The spectacular photography of the vibrant and exotic settings demand that you see this film on the big screen.

This was an entertaining wholesome and feel-good film that will bring us to places we rarely see on screen, visually and emotionally. We will all identify since there is a Walter Mitty in all of us who desires to get that chance to live out our wildest dreams. 8/10

This review was originally published in the author's blog, "Fred Said."

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 09:33:24 PM »
An irrelevant  question.  Also sympathy has no legal credence. Case law (the only one that really matters) has yet to be established in court.

By "sympathy" I meant "any slight recognition of merit". Because to go to court you (or a suitable legal guinea pig) have got to find a lawyer who is willing to prosecute a case based on your interpretation. To do so they must agree there is some potential merit in your interpretation - have you ever met such a person?

You are describing an entirely hypothetical situation.   Whilst the Act protects me against victimisation from becoming involved, only the child or parent can initiate a complaint.  However, as the law is so unambiguous, there would probably be no need for formal legal involvement.   Any school would be advised to acquiesce to such a complaint from a pupil at an early stage in the procedure – and that procedure is very simple.  The possibility of court proceedings would be remote, so, as with many laws, will most likely remain unsupported by case law.     Thank you for the question.

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »
"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" is a short story written by James Thurber way back in 1939, about a henpecked man who escapes into a fantasy world of danger and heroics to compensate for the depressingly dull life he led in reality.

Screenwriter Steve Conrad adapts the title and the name and over-active imagination of the main character and tells his own original story. An uncharacteristically mature and contemplative Ben Stiller directs and stars in this "labor of love" of a movie project. There is nary a trace of the Ben Stiller in "There's Something About Mary." "Zoolander" or "Dodgeball" in this special film.

Walter Mitty is a timid guy who tends to "space out" and enter into a world of his own where he is able to do wondrously heroic exploits. He is so much of an introvert such that he would rather join an online dating service to meet this girl he fancies, Cheryl, who is also working in his same office.

One day, he misplaces the precious negative of the photograph meant to be the cover of the last issue of Life Magazine. As his job is on the line, Walter needs to look for Sean, the elusive globe-trotting photographer who took that missing photo.

Upon deducing that Sean was in Greenland, Mitty suddenly decides to throw all caution to the wind and just go on a difficult quest to track Sean down. This will be the biggest adventure of his lifetime, a life-changing one at that.

Visually, this film is perfect with its breathtaking cinematography and unobtrusive special effects. Many scenes, particularly those showing Walter skateboarding along highways in Iceland, or climbing the snowy peaks of the Himalayas, were very memorably shot with unique camera range and angles, extolling the beauty of the world around us.

The script does fall into melodrama and sentimentality, but I did not mind this at all. Stiller was very good as Walter, capturing his shyness and cluelessness so sensitively. I liked Walter's moments with his mother, played by Shirley McLaine with pleasant restraint. I also liked Walter's awkward romance with Cheryl played by Kristen Wiig. She was also very relaxed and natural here in a straight role, very much contrasting from her quirky breakout role in "Bridesmaids."

Once we reach the second half of the film, Walter actually stops having fantasies and does things for real already. I realize, of course, that this was the point of the film, that dreams are there to be fulfilled in real life. I just felt it somehow lost the spirit of the source short story at that point.

Despite comparisons with "Forrest Gump," "Walter Mitty" admittedly does not exactly reach those lofty heights. However, upon watching this film, you will wonder how something so beautiful-looking could have been totally shut-out from Oscar or any other award consideration. The spectacular photography of the vibrant and exotic settings demand that you see this film on the big screen.

This was an entertaining wholesome and feel-good film that will bring us to places we rarely see on screen, visually and emotionally. We will all identify since there is a Walter Mitty in all of us who desires to get that chance to live out our wildest dreams. 8/10

This review was originally published in the author's blog, "Fred Said."

An absurd amount of trouble to go to, if it was just to call me names.
You give the impression that you are totally obsessed with denying schoolgirl footballers any knowledge of their rights – good God (wo)man, if they actually tried to enforce them, would you explode with fury!!!
I know of an organisation that is really, really, really determined to stop girls going to school, let alone having any educational rights.  I’m sure it would love to have your support.