Author Topic: 15 year old with talent  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Messier

• View Profile
15 year old with talent
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:26:56 PM »
Hi all.

Im after some information/guidance if possible.

I have a 15 year old daughter who also plays for the sunday league club i help at with a little coaching.

She started football age 8 and joined a boys team, couldnt play in any games but trained with them and did well in training matches.
Age 10 we find a girls football team locally. She is still with the same team now.

Her goal scoring record is phenominal throughout all 5 seasons and also into her 6th season now at U16 level.
Currently 9 games and 24 goals (consistant season after season)

Scoring isnt her only skillset, very tactical with the ball at her feet, takes players on and defends strongly. An all round player but with incredible prowess in front of goal.

The level her goals come at are. Notts Sunday league. Notts schools county cup. Schools nationals cup (ESFA) and also for Nottinghamshire County squad (recently joined squad).

Last year went on trials for Leics city CoE. Nerves got better of her and she didnt perform. Quite natural i think but she knew herself that she needed to do better and of relaxed more.

Year before went on trials for Derby County CoE. I thought she did well and so did she but heard pre-trials that only a couple of players max they were looking due to almost max number of girls.

So in the area of notts we are really limited.

Im certainly not being biased in saying that she has a serious talent that could be nurtured with the right coaching, she has turned many a head on the pitch at times.

However here is her dilemma.

She leaves school around May 2014 and will be looking at CoE trials again, she has other career plans related to football ready for when she leaves so is not putting all her eggs into one basket which is wise.

If the current CoE situation means they are only looking for 1 or 2 players to boost the current CoE squad and that fails for her, then where does she go from there?

What other professional clubs are there for her to possibly trial at?

Locally there is Nottingham forest ladies but unsure of their trials process and im also aware they may fold at end of season dependant upon funding. Thank goodness someone has just stepped in to save them at least til end of season. How does their selection process work? Do they feed from the sunday league girls into the reserves and then seniors (if of course adept in doing so).

I know Lincoln have recently become or going to become Notts county. Does that mean Lincoln CoE will become Notts county CoE next season when they merge?

Also on FA website ive noticed Development centres on the same page listing as the CoE list.

What are these Development centres and how do you get into one? What is expected of a played to able to attend a centre? Do they already have to be at a CoE?

Any help or advice for my daughter would be hugely appreciated as in the coming months she is going to want to put a plan together to enable her chase her desires.

For the record, im not a pushy parent or eager for my daughter to make and rush decisions, however, im a supportive parent and have listened to my daughter, she so loves the game, her abilities are outstanding and she knows it (without being big headed) and all she wants to do is play for her country one day. Its a big desire but not an impossible and one she wants to find out herself if she really has the talent at such level.

So where to go from here? What if she doesnt make it into a CoE at the end of the season? What options would you pursue with other teams? How would you go about that?

Thank you for taking the time to read and appreciate any responses.  :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:46:57 PM by Messier »

Offline Messier

• View Profile
Re: 15 year old with talent
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:32:27 PM »
Just to add.

Is there an upto date list of Girls CoE's?

The FA seem to have the list from last season, so dont know if that list shown is valid.

Thanks

Offline pops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »
hi, if you do suffer with nerves ,it might be worth contacting a coe near you and explaining to them, they might then invite her down to take part in the training for a few sessions to have a proper look at her and see if it would suit her, i'm sure if it did not they would point you in the right direction for a club also, lincs always used too be could,hope this helps you

Offline Messier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:50:05 PM »
Thanks Pops.  :)

Makes sense what your saying. Never really thought of contacting CoE out of trials and ask for a few session reviews to see if the tallent is there.

Would love to hear other options and views from others who have possibly been in similiar situation.

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 11:02:29 PM »
Firstly good luck with your endeavours.
The development league is what is supposed to be younger players for each WSL team. Their leagues have already started as are in winter (although WSL2 doesn't start until next year). However, if you look at some of the threads, this isn't clear. There has been some gnashing of teeth about Reading putting their 1st team out. - see http://full-time.thefa.com/Index.do?league=174683699

I agree that any decent CoE should permit even 2 weeks (potentially four sessions) to have a look at her. If she's as good as you say, she should be worth a place. As for Lincoln CoE, as far as I know the CoE will still be run by Lincs FA. BUT....all CoE licences are up for renewal after the current season; the general consensus where we are is that each of the 20 WSL clubs will get a licence (to help create the player pathway to England); any other licences should be awarded according to factors only the FA know (for me there should be CoE's to cover areas that have previously been lost eg, Cumbria) - many young players have been lost due to sheer cost of logistics for parents).

CoE's are not the only young route though. There are many very good Clubs who would give a CoE a run for their money but lost their status after the last cull - well worth doing some digging.

One last point; she is eligible for ladies football at 16. If a CoE wont look and other factors prevent another junior club, you could approach a ladies side for her to at least train with them - there is no doubt she'll be challenged. The Premier league has been split into North & South for this year, then of course you have 4 regional combination leagues. To be honest, combination is a not a bad level to be starting at for a young player. Check if the leagues would permit her training or playing for them though.

I hope this helps; perhaps one day she'll pull on that England #9 shirt - fingers crossed!

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 11:10:47 PM »
A lot of coe's will trial out of season. Obviously if she really is talented then she needs to be told that she will fit in well as her peers at coe are also talented. Be social . arrive early. Teach her to enjoy. Don't critisise other players. Tell her to ask the coaches about her weak points. Always ask her after each session "did you enjoy that" ?  Some parents travel 90 miles to a coe . would you? Good luck.

Offline Messier

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 03:24:41 PM »
Firstly good luck with your endeavours.
The development league is what is supposed to be younger players for each WSL team. Their leagues have already started as are in winter (although WSL2 doesn't start until next year). However, if you look at some of the threads, this isn't clear. There has been some gnashing of teeth about Reading putting their 1st team out. - see http://full-time.thefa.com/Index.do?league=174683699

I agree that any decent CoE should permit even 2 weeks (potentially four sessions) to have a look at her. If she's as good as you say, she should be worth a place. As for Lincoln CoE, as far as I know the CoE will still be run by Lincs FA. BUT....all CoE licences are up for renewal after the current season; the general consensus where we are is that each of the 20 WSL clubs will get a licence (to help create the player pathway to England); any other licences should be awarded according to factors only the FA know (for me there should be CoE's to cover areas that have previously been lost eg, Cumbria) - many young players have been lost due to sheer cost of logistics for parents).

CoE's are not the only young route though. There are many very good Clubs who would give a CoE a run for their money but lost their status after the last cull - well worth doing some digging.

One last point; she is eligible for ladies football at 16. If a CoE wont look and other factors prevent another junior club, you could approach a ladies side for her to at least train with them - there is no doubt she'll be challenged. The Premier league has been split into North & South for this year, then of course you have 4 regional combination leagues. To be honest, combination is a not a bad level to be starting at for a young player. Check if the leagues would permit her training or playing for them though.

I hope this helps; perhaps one day she'll pull on that England #9 shirt - fingers crossed!

Thanks #1.

Great reply woth some worthy info that ill be looking at.

I know of the current WSL and the North/South premier league but didnt know of regional league teams.

Not many sites with all the womens leagues on and i find the FA site a bit of a mission at time.

Seriously, thanks for the info.

#9? she swears by wearing #10 shirt :)

Offline Messier

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 03:25:23 PM »
A lot of coe's will trial out of season. Obviously if she really is talented then she needs to be told that she will fit in well as her peers at coe are also talented. Be social . arrive early. Teach her to enjoy. Don't critisise other players. Tell her to ask the coaches about her weak points. Always ask her after each session "did you enjoy that" ?  Some parents travel 90 miles to a coe . would you? Good luck.

Thanks for the pointers :)

Sylvain

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »
#10 is the playmaker and attacking midfield number  ;)

Here is another usueful link from James prickett

http://www.jamesprickett.co.uk/pyramidengland.htm

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 04:31:40 PM »
Another option you have is a 6th form college (U19s) football academy. These have to take nearly a dozen new players for Year 12 every year. Quite a few of the WSL clubs are associated with one and some girls come from their U17 CoE but by no means all. The best in the country play in the ECFA's Category 1 competition, the Premier League, Northern [Group 1] and Southern [Group 2] Divisions:
http://full-time.thefa.com/Index.do?divisionseason=334942933&league=886910481.

If those are all too far away (although some do offer weekly boarding) then try the Category 2 leagues: http://ecfa.org.uk/competitions/ecfa-category-2,-3-5-leagues/ecfa-east-midlands.aspx. Chose one which matches your daughter's academic aspirations with her sports one.

But if you want to keep sport & study separate then I'd suggest that you've probably missed the boat with the CoEs and agree that you should try to work up through the Women's leagues as soon as she turns 16. Personally I've never heard anything good about the Development Centres and they're probably not worth the money spent on them, especially at the older age groups.

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 09:17:46 PM »
Ive seen a few girls move up from a well run PDC to make a good impact at CoE level, so please dont discount getting her involved at that level. The training is done by highly qualified coaches whos raison D`etre is to see the girls improve and go back to their clubs a better player.

Nottm forest, in your area, has a superbly well run youth set up and even though they have a constant battle with funding as a club always hang on in there.  Go have a word with them, Im absolutely certain theyd give your lass a fair crack of the whip.