Author Topic: FA Women's Cup 2013-14  (Read 42829 times)

Sylvain

Re: FA Women's Cup 2013-14
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »
That's what Wolves argued, but still got fined...
I think Wolves should have gone to the high court to be honest.
They do what they want with their players.

YTLFC

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2014, 07:55:25 PM »
Amatuerish & Embarrassing? Ouch!

You will understand that although we engage with fans on forums like this, we do not reveal why do certain things.

However we can say that even though they lost yesterday, what was a very young team played well.

It is correct we have recently registered more players, but none would have been eligible to play in the FA Women's Cup yesterday due to the Cup rules.

Offline BeautifulGame

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2014, 10:14:32 PM »
I presume this means cup-tied? I guess all the new 1st Team had played in earlier rounds for other clubs?

I am sure the Cup experience was a valuable one for all the youngsters - they'll be better players for it.

Offline allibee

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2014, 06:22:51 AM »
I presume this means cup-tied? I guess all the new 1st Team had played in earlier rounds for other clubs?

Still don't understand, sorry. How were the firsts eligible to play in the FA WSL development cup against Notts County then?

It's possible the club can't see that from the outside it looks like Yeovil playing two teams in an underhand way, which is a shame as you guys seem to spend a lot of time on social media knowing who does what where and when

Ian, when the WSL season starts proper FA website should show all the newly registered players and what games, if any, they played during the break to cup tie them, if that helps

49yardtapin

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2014, 07:04:47 AM »
So basically, your 1st team squad wasn't ready for the first competitive game of the season. Looks really good that...

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2014, 05:50:55 PM »
Still don't understand, sorry. How were the firsts eligible to play in the FA WSL development cup against Notts County then?

The peculiarities of FA competition rules:
  • WSL Dev League 2013/14 - any players who haven't played much WSL in 2013 even if they've played for other clubs in 2013/14
  • FAW Cup 2013/14 - any players who haven't played in the Cup for other clubs in 2013/14
  • WSL 2014 - anyone properly registered

So WSL2 clubs can play their new signings in both Dev League & WSL games but not the FAW Cup!

Offline BeautifulGame

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2014, 08:43:06 PM »

The peculiarities of FA competition rules:
  • WSL Dev League 2013/14 - any players who haven't played much WSL in 2013 even if they've played for other clubs in 2013/14
  • FAW Cup 2013/14 - any players who haven't played in the Cup for other clubs in 2013/14
  • WSL 2014 - anyone properly registered

So WSL2 clubs can play their new signings in both Dev League & WSL games but not the FAW Cup!

exactly right. I know a couple elsewhere who are cup tied (FA Cup only)  ;)

Offline allibee

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2014, 10:20:22 PM »
Highly unlikely an entire first squad who haven't played any winter football cup tied. Besides which, if being cup tied was the case, it would have been easy enough to have said than come up with other excuses, don't you think? Being as 'on the case' as Yeovil seem to be, unlikely they would have allowed any firsts to play in cup games for lower clubs knowing exactly this scenario was inescapable

Sylvain

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »
Revised draw

1 Bradford City v London Bees or Cardiff City
2 Coventry City v  Brighton & Hove Albion
3 Sunderland v  Watford
4 Gillingham v Preston North End
5 Reading Women v Blackburn Rovers
6 Crystal Palace v Portsmouth FC Ladies
7 Durham Women’s v Sheffield FC Ladies
8 Doncaster Rovers Belles v Copsewood Coventry

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2014, 05:50:39 PM »
Revised draw

1 Bradford City v London Bees or Cardiff City
2 Coventry City v  Brighton & Hove Albion
3 Sunderland v  Watford

Think match 1 is different...according to She Kicks from yesterday's match result

Bradford City 0-1 Cardiff City

Cardiff's reward is home advantage over WSL2 side London Bees in the fourth round on March 16th.

Sylvain

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »
Right I did wonder why the Bees v Cardiff  game was played on the 16th and not earlier.

Sylvain

FA Women's Cup Fourth Round weekend approaches
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2014, 12:34:16 PM »
The FA Women's Cup Fourth Round gets under way this weekend, with a host of intriguing contests in store.

Sunderland's Beth Mead says her side can go all the way in this year's FA Women's Cup – but the in-form striker admits the pressure will really get going once the Women's Super League gets underway in April.

The Black Cats, who face Watford in the fourth round of the Cup on Sunday, are one of the favourites to win the newly-formed WSL 2.

Mead has been a key component of the side that have won three successive FA Premier League National Division titles, with the England Under-19 international notching 30 goals in total last season.

One of those came in vain when Sunderland, FA Cup runners-up in 2009, were defeated 2-1 by Liverpool in the Sixth Round in March 2013.

Mead scored 30 goals in the 2012-13 season

But 12 months older and wiser, Mead admits she is targeting success on two fronts this term.

“I think we can go all the way in the Cup, but of course the WSL is also a big chance for the team,” said Mead.

“Everyone is seeing us as one of the favourites, and there is a big expectation on me to score goals.

“But if we get a decent run going, I don’t see why we can’t be successful, we just need a bit of a luck.

“Watford are a hard team, they have been a bit of a bogey team of ours over the last couple of years so we want to win on Sunday.”

Fellow WSL 2 side Watford were downed in the fourth round last year by Leeds United – the same stage at which Reading fell victim to Cardiff City.

And the Royals’ new skipper Georgie Giddings, who joined in the off-season, wants to get her tenure as skipper off to a winning start against Blackburn Rovers.
Georgie Giddings

“As skipper I want to make sure there is unity in the team so everyone understands their roles,” she said.

“It’s important to contribute 100 per cent if we want to succeed in any competition, and the FA Cup is no different.”

Meanwhile it has been 20 years since six-time winners Doncaster Rovers Belles last tasted success in the competition, but Rebekah Bass has urged supporters to remain patient.

Gordon Staniforth’s Belles face Copsewood Coventry on Sunday having knocked out fellow WSL 2 side Aston Villa 2-0 in February.

But Bass insists Staniforth is busy building for the future. “Emphasis is very much about keeping the home grown talent and developing those,” she said.

“Of course it’s each to their own in regards to what players are brought in but here at Doncaster we are a very young team that is mainly about improving and bringing players up to standard.”
Durham

Durham Women have been embarking on their first FA Cup adventure this season and midfielder Beth Hepple wants it to continue after this weekend’s tie against Sheffield Ladies.

Durham, formerly South Durham & Cestria Girls, beat Chichester City in the last round and host their visitors from the Steel City on Sunday.

“Things are going really well ahead of the game,” said England Under-19 international Hepple.

“It’s really fast-paced in training and we want to go out there and win. Last year was my first taste of the FA Cup with South Durham & Cestria Girls and I want more.”

Also taking their first steps in the FA Cup this season are newly-formed London Bees, and captain Dawn Mallett wants to hit the ground running against Cardiff City.

“Everyone is excited, it’s a new club and a new challenge for everyone really,” said the 23-year-old.

“If you ask anyone that has watched us train over the past few weeks they will say it’s been brilliant and we want to take that into Cardiff game.”

Fourth Round draw in full

1 Cardiff City v London Bees
2 Coventry City v Brighton & Hove Albion
3 Sunderland v Watford

http://www.thefa.com/news/fawsl/2014/mar/mead-confident-of-cup-success

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2014, 07:45:23 PM »
My predictions for this weekends FA Cup.

1 Cardiff City v London Bees  Home win

2 Coventry City v Brighton & Hove Albion  Home Win

3 Sunderland v Watford  Home win

4 Gillingham v Preston North End  Away Win

5 Reading Women v Blackburn Rovers  Home win

6 Crystal Palace v Portsmouth FC Ladies  Away win

7 Durham Women’s v Sheffield FC Ladies  Away Landslide :)

8 Doncaster Rovers Belles v Copsewood Coventry  Home win.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »
My predictions for this weekends FA Cup.
7 Durham Women’s v Sheffield FC Ladies  Away Landslide :)

Well, normally i would go for the small team, the underdogs. There's nothing better than seeing the smallest team win, but i can't see an upset on this occasion, so Sheffield for the win  ;)
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Sylvain

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2014, 11:05:24 AM »
We are guaranteed at least 1 WSL 2 side in round 5 but that might be it. Upset could mean only Watford or Sunderland would be there to take on the WSL 1 teams when they enter the competition (late as usual).

I think 3 games could go to extra time and maybe pens :

Cardiff v Bees
Sunderland v Watford
Durham v Sheffield

Other predictions :
Reading, Gills, Portsmouth, Doncaster, Coventry

Offline allibee

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2014, 05:07:48 PM »
Portsmouth, bit of a no brainer, can't believe how easy they've had it thus far, lol

Cardiff for an easy win

Sheffield easy win too

Sunderland, Reading, Doncaster dead certs to win, Gillingham after pens

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2014, 10:40:56 AM »
Watford are a very decent team and a bit of a bogey team for us - we didn't beat them in the FAWPL last season home or away, so not expecting an easy game today. Think it will be close i'll go 3-1 Sunderland.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Sylvain

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2014, 12:21:38 PM »
Indeed Watford are a hard working team and have a couple of quality forwards.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »
Well 4-0 at half time, wasn't expecting that tbh. Just an observation as i think GK is a very important position, and the Watford keeper must be the smallest girl in their team. I don't know if it's their first choice but i think teams will look to exploit that at every opportunity.

You're right though Sylvain they look dangerous when they break, the only real difference is our forwards have finished better.

Sylvain

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2014, 02:58:45 PM »
Lauren Davey the 1st choice is injured.

Full time 4-1 for Sunderland through to round 5