Author Topic: England v Russia  (Read 4222 times)

Offline CGRJ

• View Profile
Re: England v Russia
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 05:43:22 PM »
This is actually the main reason i hate (yes HATE), her. Her arrogant demeanor and utter contempt for anyone who dares to question her tactics or substitutions (or lack of) is clear to see. I have mixed emotions between embarrassment and anger. How dare the reporter last night ask Queen Hopeless if she thought she left it too late.

Loved how the reporter gave it right back at her though after Hopeless had brushed her off with her patronizing laugh and arrogant "Ummm nah, i don't think so" by then asking her if she didn't think England were lacking something and could have done with some energy (or something along those lines). Pretty much saying what we all could see and were thinking, good on her.

I agree she seems to think journalists and fans have no right to question or criticise her as if they don't understand how football works

The whole of the FA is blessed with a surfeit of arrogance only matched by their blatant lack of talent to really develop the sport. With the number of FA luminaries in Sweden such as Sir Trev and Dan Ashworth one suspects they were on hand to A) bask in Hopes glory as her success vindicated their consultant inspired restructuring of the game and B) enjoy a Scandinavian jolly.

When interviewed Ashworth indicated that he has 'plans' for the girls and womens game.  As a recent recruit from West Brom one hopes he is not planning to transplant the success of that clubs CoE onto the wider sport.............

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 06:30:46 PM »
Sir trev is often to be seen supporting england ladies. This match vs Russia he came very close to critisising hope Powell. Hopes downfall is picking players not in form and refusal to deviate from the "game plan". .

49yardtapin

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 10:32:23 PM »
what game plan?  ;D

Sylvain

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 11:16:07 PM »
Maximum fitness level and defensive positioning.
To be fair, England try to play better attacking football and certainly have improved in 2013.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:48:00 AM by Sylvain »

AC-FC

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 08:02:28 AM »
If France field a strong team England's defensive frailties will be found out-she had her critics but no one has replaced faye white at the back, there is no commanding presence in the air or organizational skills.Stoney does not seem to fit the bill.Up front , there has been an off-form Ellen White who had a great chance against Russia but fluffed it, an in form Duggan came on at the end and hit the crossbar before tucking in a neat shot.if White starts against France instead of Duggan, it will prove Hopeless does not have a clue- bring in Sir Trev.

Sylvain

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 08:07:08 AM »
 Sophie Bradley is Faye White's mini-me. She evens try to copy the 14% passing accuracy lol.

AC-FC

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 08:29:15 AM »
You will notice I didn't mention her passing skills......but at least Faye was a stopper, if you have one of those at the back its half the battle but the Spanish and the russians were running thru England's defense like it was not there.

Sylvain

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 09:00:15 AM »
You will notice I didn't mention her passing skills......but at least Faye was a stopper, if you have one of those at the back its half the battle but the Spanish and the russians were running thru England's defense like it was not there.
Yes Faye White was a strong defender indeed.

49yardtapin

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 09:22:17 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23327514

England Under-21s & Under-20s not good enough, says FA director
 (glad he's paid enough to highlight this!)

however interesting point on Women's football (please don't let this come to pass! The game needs a fresh pair of eyes)

Ashworth, who has previously admitted English football is at a "crossroads",  also said the FA would be making a range of appointments in the coming months, including a director of elite women's football.

The role, reporting to Ashworth, will oversee the development of the women's game through the England teams. Current senior team boss Powell has played a key role in establishing the structure already and could be a contender for the new position, therefore creating a space for a new England coach.

But Ashworth, who admits his knowledge has been mostly gained in the men's game over his 15-year professional career, says he has not yet spoken to Powell about the job.

"[Appointing a director of elite women's football] will come to the forefront when we've got the European Championship out of the way, we'll sit down and see how we can restructure the women's game," he said.

"I haven't had chance to sit down and talk with Hope about that or anything on the re-structuring. She's been very much focusing on the European Championship."

Sylvain

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »
I think everybody knows Powell will move upstairs when she leaves the England team. Unless someone at the FA decides she is not good enough.

AC-FC

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 06:36:21 PM »
The so far unconfirmed question is, when?

Offline charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 10:13:42 AM »
This tournament has given her enough rope to hang herself in the medias eyes.  BBC and ESPN have shown coverage with polite criticism of Powell.  Hopefully she will go very very soon. Shes done her bit in the past but has stayed far too long.  Now the media have seen her weaknesses the push should be on. 

The players are individually OK in the main, probably the majority are some of the best we have.  Theire are others whose names have been mentioned who are worthy of a place and the opportunity was there with all the injured regulars.  Whats done is done as they say. 

Its more than time to go HP