Author Topic: England v Japan  (Read 4512 times)

Sylvain

Re: england v japan
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 07:28:34 AM »
If you look at 89:49 on the replay Clarke (who was in offside position when Bronze hit the ball ) jumping trying to head the ball. The assistant referee has interpreted that Clarke has been involved in active play.

Debatable call from the assistant referee but I saw the same thing  live at the game, we were standing nearly level with the penalty spot during the game. It was obvious someone ahead of the defenders was trying to head the ball.

Taken before a Japanese free kick

I might text Jordan myself lol I used to have her number last season, if she has not changed phone since  ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:36:20 AM by Sylvain »

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 08:00:56 AM »
Yes, Clarke definitely tried to head it, she moves towards the ball and not away from it.  She also very narrowly missed it.

Beautiful seats.

Sylvain

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 08:16:30 AM »
In term of team selection, I think the starting 11 at the Euros will be very close to the one we saw yesterday except for Smith, Stoney and Houghton who will surely start if fit. I guess Carney could start if Smith is not fit

49yardtapin

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23076941

"We played the Dutch behind closed doors on Monday. It was a friendly and players got minutes and that's the most important thing."

"Smith was the only player not present at the friendly game at Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium."

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
if i decided to say whether it was on or offside it would be my opinion. and only my opinion.
didnt see it dont know (imho)

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »
As for the 'Goal' well if it come of Bradley from a flick on then offside as well as Clarke being active i.e. she s near to the keeper and her presence whether she can reach the ball or not will be deemed as active, possible Bronze foot is offside (body part she can score with) if its flicked on by a opposition player then from the original kick she is not offside so goal should be allowed.
From the replays I've seen it looks like it must be Clarke that is flagged for offside. Lucy was onside when the freekick was taken and the Law says it's when an England player kicks it that offside is judged, not when the Japanese defender's header happens. But when Lucy strikes the ball (no offence has yet occurred) the AR then judges Clarke to be interfering with play (probably by getting in the keeper's line of sight of the ball) so is offside.

AC-FC

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
I was involved in a game when almost exactly the same scenario occurred and the referee gave a goal even after acknowledging the player was in an offside position, obscuring the view of the goalie but as the player did not touch the ball.....the referee deemed the player to be 'inactive'......

49yardtapin

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »
it's the 'interpretation' which causes the issue.

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »
Even with a simple line in ice hockey there's plenty of disagreement and drama.  It was a quality game that show's plenty of promise for Sweden.  With a weak German side they could very easily go the distance and ignite things domestically.

Some nice stuff here:
http://tgsphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery/England-Women-vs-Japan-Women-26-06-13/G0000wm6dNV9FLck/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:25:22 PM by law10 »

Sylvain

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 03:57:42 PM »
Great photo.

Noticed she's wearing the Nike blades.  Would hate to take those in the soft tissue with a bit of force behind them:
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6108/6852270182_533146e266_b.jpg

Sylvain

Hope Powell hailed the younger members of her England squad after they helped secure a 1-1 draw with World Cup holders Japan at Burton Albion.

Eniola Aluko put the Three Lions ahead with a smart finish just before the break, but x levelled matters on 76 minutes, ensuring England will head to the Euro Finals on Monday high in confidence.

In Jade Moore, Toni Duggan, Jordan Nobbs and debutant Lucy Bronze, Powell fielded four of her less experienced senior team players and she was delighted with the way they coped against such a talented side.

The National Coach said: "I'm pleased with the fact that we competed well against the world champions.

"I made quite a few substitutions and quite a few of the younger players played and they managed themselves very, very well.

“The depth in our squad is getting better. There's no foregone conclusion who's going to start and who's going to finish. We have a nice balance and a lot of cover and I think we'll need it going into a major tournament."

Powell also spoke of the importance of international tournament football. Fourteen of her 23-strong squad have featured in at least three senior tournaments, while five of the younger contingent won the U19 Euros in 2009.

Powell added: "Tournaments are very, very different to a one-off match. But a lot of players have had that experience, even the younger players.

"Toni Duggan, Lucy Bronze, Jordan Nobbs, Gemma Bonner, Jade Moore - they've won a European Championship, they understand tournament play, so when they come on the pitch they know what to expect and they manage themselves well.

She continued: "Today was a decent result. The players now recognise they can play Japan and not lose, play [USA] and win. We are difficult to beat. We are not always going to win but we are difficult to beat and that goes a long way. The players have got the desire to succeed and that's important.

"The girls are disappointed they conceded such a sloppy goal, but hopefully we'll learn from it. We build on it and we go forward now.”

England have one more friendly, against Euro hosts Sweden, on Thursday 4 July before they take on Spain in their opening group match on Friday 12 March.

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/england/womens-seniors/News/2013/japan-burton-albion-hope-powell

She is not wrong, but that won't always be enough, especially if they concede the 1st goal.

Offline law10

• View Profile
Re: England v Japan
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 06:29:22 PM »
Another key line:  "There's no foregone conclusion who's going to start and who's going to finish."

Offline JP47

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 04:27:30 AM »
Thanks all.  General consensus is that the only possible player offside was Jess Clarke and that the decision is debatable either way.  The general feeling on here and amongst the referees union is that she wasn't interfering with play as she didn't touch the ball.  Thanks for the support.

AC-FC

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 08:45:48 AM »
England have one more friendly, against Euro hosts Sweden, on Thursday 4 July before they take on Spain in their opening group match on Friday 12 March.

no one can accuse England of not doing their preparation way ahead of kick-off....

Sylvain

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 09:29:26 AM »
They can still have a training game behind closed door in Sweden a few days later.

Anyway good performance from Englanf really and you do wonder if the injured players return will have a negative or positive impact in term of playing style.

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »
That is on Hope Powell.  It's her job to make that positive.

Offline JP47

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 11:38:54 PM »
It would certainly be good to see both Steph Houghton and Casey Stoney fit.  I think they would have a positive impact.