Author Topic: GB women's football team could compete at Rio Olympics  (Read 2919 times)

Offline John

• View Profile
GB women's football team could compete at Rio Olympics
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:19:20 PM »
A Great Britain women's football team may compete at the Rio Olympics after gaining Football Association backing.

To qualify for the 2016 Games, Team GB would have to enter the 2015 Women's World Cup in which home nations currently compete separately.

But the FA's Robert Sullivan said: "Subject to qualification we are prepared to look at the possibility."

A GB men's team is unlikely to play in Rio with Sullivan confirming there is "currently no commitment" to the idea.

The GB men's and women's team qualified for London 2012 because of their host status.

FA head of corporate affairs Sullivan told the House of Lords Olympic and Paralympic Legacy Committee the FA would look at ways for a GB team to compete at Rio.

The FA has previously ruled out the possibility because the home nations are against unifying for World Cup qualifying - fearing it might end the chances of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland competing individually in future.

For the women to win a place at Rio, a combined British side would have to be one of the top three European teams at the World Cup in 2015.

Team GB's women's team were considered a success at the London Olympics with a record British women's football crowd of 70,584 seeing the host nation beat Brazil 1-0 at Wembley in their final group game.

Hope Powell's side were eventually knocked out at the quarter-final stage by Canada.

Qualification for Rio 2016

• Europe's top three nations at the Women's World Cup in 2015 will qualify for Rio
  • England were ranked third at the 2007 World Cup but their Beijing Olympics place was handed to Sweden

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23067552
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
Re: GB women's football team could compete at Rio Olympics
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:19:52 AM »
I wish they would abandon this stupid idea, why on earth chuck the entire game in the air just for the privilege of taking part in a third rate competition every four years... possibly. 

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:13:43 PM »
I wish they would abandon this stupid idea, why on earth chuck the entire game in the air just for the privilege of taking part in a third rate competition every four years... possibly. 

I think a GB women's football team should be picked for Rio if they qualify. I don't think any of the players involved at London 2012 would describe the competition as "third rate" at all. I think the exposure was great for the game in the UK.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »

I think a GB women's football team should be picked for Rio if they qualify. I don't think any of the players involved at London 2012 would describe the competition as "third rate" at all. I think the exposure was great for the game in the UK.

All they players who were stars of Team GB struggled to make an impact in the recent Euros I think that answers the third rate question also there isn't a full time GB team so how would they qualify.  If they set one up would they abandon the 'England' squad if they set up a separate Team GB when would they play Olympic qualifying games in an already crowded schedule?  No its guff...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

AC-FC

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »
agree with you there Dr...

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 04:43:31 PM »
silly idea in my opinion. :-[

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:59:11 PM »
Total non starter.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 10:10:43 PM »
All they players who were stars of Team GB struggled to make an impact in the recent Euros I think that answers the third rate question also there isn't a full time GB team so how would they qualify.  If they set one up would they abandon the 'England' squad if they set up a separate Team GB when would they play Olympic qualifying games in an already crowded schedule?  No its guff...

First of all the Team GB women’s football team did not have such a great tournament as they were knocked out at the quarter final stage to a Canadian team who had only finished third in their own group behind both Sweden and Japan.  The only reason I think a lot of people regarded the Olympics as a success was because they famously beat Brazil in front of a massive crowd at Wembley Stadium in the final group stage match to top their group ahead of Brazil.

I think the completion saw top nations competing at a high level. The women’s completion had no age restriction so each nation was able to pick all the best players.

People could even argue that when taking into account all aspects of the tournament that the Olympic football competition is the most important international football tournament for women’s football. The organisation, the attendance figures, the viewing figures, the media exposure domestically and across the world is significant and is unmatched in comparison to any other event in the women’s calendar.

Europe’s top three nations at the World Cup in 2015 automatically qualify for the Olympics in Rio so for a Team GB team to qualify any one of the home nations has to reach the quarter- finals or semi-finals of the world cup to guarantee a place.

I think we will see a Team GB at Rio should they achieve the qualification standards. The players want it and the Football Association confirmed less than two months ago to the House of Lords Olympic and Paralympic Legacy Committee that they were seriously looking at a women's GB team participating should they meet the selection criteria.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 12:12:16 AM »
If team GB mess it up then the thin end of the wedge might cost all home nations further chances, including the men's team. Not for me thanks.

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 08:46:35 AM »
If team GB mess it up then the thin end of the wedge might cost all home nations further chances, including the men's team. Not for me thanks.
After 150 years of discrimination do you really think that women should concern themselves about any possible effects on men’s football!!!!?

AC-FC

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
Team gb will never be their strongest until all 4 nations encourage their players to take part-

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 01:50:32 PM »
Team gb will never be their strongest until all 4 nations encourage their players to take part-

Not sure that is a big deal at all as it did not prevent any top player from representing Team GB last year.

AC-FC

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 02:43:39 PM »
If that wax the best team they could have put out, it wasn't up to much was it-