Author Topic: England's Euro squad announcement...when and where  (Read 5151 times)

Sylvain

Scott: Squad has right mix
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »
Jill Scott believes England Women’s Team have the perfect blend of youth and experience

As England get ready for two warm-up matches this week, spirits couldn’t be better throughout the squad ahead of the UEFA European Women's Championship, according to Jill Scott.

The midfielder, who is preparing with her team-mates to face Holland on Monday and then world champions Japan on Wednesday, believes National Coach Hope Powell has got the right blend of players in her line-up for the Finals.

Scott said: “It’s always good to have a good mix of young and more experienced players. The younger players bring that ‘no fear’ attitude.

“They’re raring to go and bring a lot of energy, maybe that us older players don’t have.”

With 65 caps to her name, the Everton star is one of the more experienced members of the squad, but the feeling of playing for her country still fills her with pride.

On her selection, Scott added: “It’s a fantastic honour to be chosen. I just feel a lot of excitement around this squad at the moment.

“I think the girls just want to get out there, start playing football and start winning some games.”

After the behind closed doors training match with the Dutch, the Lionesses will take on Japan at Burton Albion, where they’ll be roared on by 4,000 supporters.

Facing such tough opposition in the build-up to the Euros, which will start for England on Friday12 July versus Spain, will provide the perfect preparation believes Scott.

She said: “We want to play to our best all the time, but especially just before a major tournament because obviously that’s the best preparation, so it’s good that we’ve got these friendlies arranged.

“We played Japan in the World Cup in 2011 and I think the best way to describe them is the 'Barcelona' of the women’s game. They knock the ball around very well and they’ve got lots of very quick players.”

As with any tournament, several nations are in with a shout of glory, but Scott is quietly confident herself.

She said: “We’ve been winning a lot of games – we’ve had the Cyprus Cup in February where we had some really tough matches, such as Canada in the Final.

“They’re one of the best teams around and we beat them 1-0. We played them again in a friendly recently and won again – so I think it’s showing that the squad do really want to win matches and we’re starting to show that now.

"That can only be good going into these European Championship.”

You can watch England Women v Japan live here on TheFA.com from 1.45pm on Wednesday.

http://www.thefa.com/england/womens-seniors/News/2013/scottsquadhasrightmix.aspx#xT0ebA3Zk7eBEZI5.99

Offline JP47

• View Profile
Re: England's Euro squad announcement...when and where
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2013, 01:46:08 AM »
There is no England Ladies vs Holland Ladies on Monday.  There is just the Japan game on Wednesday, followed by a friendly vs Sweden, then the Euros.  Apart from that mistake, it is an interesting article.

Sylvain

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2013, 07:23:09 AM »
Well, it is a behind closed door training match so it does not really count. Although the B team will surely play that one as the big game v Japan is so close.

Offline JP47

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2013, 09:32:19 PM »
How did you find out about the Holland game because it wasn't mentioned on the England Ladies website that you'd copied the rest of the article off or anywhere else on the net?  Even Jordan Nobbs didn't know anything about it yesterday.

49yardtapin

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2013, 10:25:45 PM »
3-2 england apparently

Offline JP47

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »
haha I'll be seeing Jordan on Wednesday after the match so I'll check then

Sylvain

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »
maybe she was not allowed to talk about the game  ??? dont forget the FA likes to keep stuff secret. I remember I had a lunch with 3 internationals manager in a nando's lol and the Swedish guy was saying it is usual for the English FA to do behind closed door games

Offline JP47

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2013, 12:31:07 AM »
She's a personal friend lol

Offline JP47

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2013, 12:32:49 AM »
I'll find out on Wednesday, but I think your source has misled you.  I'll tell you Thursday for sure.

Offline Garrincha

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 09:45:02 PM »

May as well bring Rachel Williams in now, can't see Kelly Smith making it.

Sylvain

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2013, 11:03:51 PM »
I agree if Kelly is not fit, Williams or Dowie should be on the plane, but you never know she might call up someone else from the 40 players list.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 11:25:19 PM »
any names sylvain?

Sylvain

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 11:59:08 PM »
My bet is she will pick someone from the U23 team or Rachel Williams.
But the way things are if Rachel is selected she will be the number 3 center forward behind White and Duggan, so no game time.

Offline Garrincha

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2013, 01:02:51 PM »

Only U23 player that comes anywhere near the seniors attacking mid/forward profile would be Michelle Hinnigan.

But 10/10 times Rachel Williams would get my vote over her.