Author Topic: Double Appointment at Sunderland  (Read 6340 times)

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
Double Appointment at Sunderland
« on: June 02, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »
Well this was mentioned in the England U19's thread but obv it's off topic there, but Sunderland have started the re-shaping of their staff in preparation for the FAWSL2 -

Sunderland WFC are delighted to announce the double appointment of Assistant Manager Melanie Reay and Strength and Conditioning Coach Julie Twaddle, as the club step up their preparations for the Women’s Super League.

The former Sunderland players have vast experience in the women’s game, having both played for Manager Mick Mulhern and captained the club during that time.

“I have worked with Mel for the last year at the Centre of Excellence and we have worked very well together” said Mulhern. “I initially brought her into the Centre several years ago and she has developed into an excellent coach, whilst her Gateshead College teams (which have included many Sunderland players over the years) have had success after success. She will be a great help to me, and the players will enjoy working with her” he added.

The manager has known Mel since he first started at the club in 1999 and the prolific goal scorer went on to help the club seal promotion, before captaining another of his promoted sides five years later. The Assistant Manager is looking forward to the season ahead: “The new WSL2 is very exciting and I am delighted to be part of the new coaching team brought together to ensure Sunderland can build upon their continued success”, said Mel.

In addition, the club are also pleased to welcome Julie Twaddle. Her footballing background will be ideal in preparing the players for the Super League as she knows exactly what is required from a Strength and Conditioning perspective. “Julie is one of the best Strength and Conditioning coaches around having worked with Elite International and Olympic athletes including former players Steph Houghton and Jill Scott, amongst others” said Mulhern.

“I am delighted both Mel and Julie agreed to join the coaching staff several weeks ago. We have been hugely successful for several years now, but I don't believe in standing still. The aim is to push on as a club and continue to achieve. Hopefully we can continue to compete for honours when we go into the WSL. I know Julie and Mel are hungry for success and will certainly be great additions to the club to assist in this quest.”

“Mel and I have targeted several players who we believe can strengthen our squad and we believe that we will help to improve the players we bring to the club.

WSL2 will be a very tough league to get out of and everyone has their eyes on WSL1. The London clubs in particular will be strong as they have such a vast playing pool to choose from so we have to be ready for the challenge.”

“These are very exciting times for Sunderland and the next few months should be interesting to say the least.”

http://www.sunderlandwfc.co.uk/swfc_253.htm
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

49yardtapin

Re: Double Appointment at Sunderland
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 10:11:11 PM »
Need an A Licence manager though....as per the criteria...   ;)

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:47:53 PM »
Is Mick not one of those though? If not i'm sure he will be in the very near future ;)
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

49yardtapin

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:50:34 AM »
he isn't no, and it's a 2 year course

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:43:29 AM »
And a damned hard one to pass aswell

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:51:04 AM »
Is that criteria for WSL2 as well? Or just WSL? I just don't understand why Sunderland would try so hard (including Mick) to get into the WSL if they had to get rid, or not have Mick as manager. There must be some kind of loophole or something  :-\

Offline Cestria Galaxy fan

• View Profile
    • South Durham & Cestria match reports
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:57:24 AM »
Is that criteria for WSL2 as well? Or just WSL? I just don't understand why Sunderland would try so hard (including Mick) to get into the WSL if they had to get rid, or not have Mick as manager. There must be some kind of loophole or something  :-\

Criteria applies to WSL2 as well. He'll probably be assistant manager in name only I would have guessed.
@solar_concept for regular Twitter updates on scores, match reports etc

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »
It's a strange one for sure. Isn't there a rule in the Premier League that if managers are actually going through the proceeds of obtaining their coaching badge that they can still manage, or have i just made that up? lol

If so i wonder if that applies for the WSL.

Offline Cestria Galaxy fan

• View Profile
    • South Durham & Cestria match reports
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 10:20:21 AM »
It's a strange one for sure. Isn't there a rule in the Premier League that if managers are actually going through the proceeds of obtaining their coaching badge that they can still manage, or have i just made that up? lol

If so i wonder if that applies for the WSL.

Sounds plausible but i'm not sure either lol
@solar_concept for regular Twitter updates on scores, match reports etc

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »
I'm sure Roy Keane didn't have his coaching badges (or some SAFC manager not sure which one) but he was still allowed to become manager as he was going through them at the time.

Could be wrong, but almost positive that was the case.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:57:12 PM by Mackem Steve »

49yardtapin

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »
For premier league managers it is the Pro-Licence they need to have fergie didnt get his but was given honerary dispensation having managed at that level for so long.

Plenty of clubs in the WSL do it, Vic Akers doesn't have it hence his position now. Look at okther teams as well and you will see people in charge who are just happy to do the media etc.

Applies to WSL1/2, which is strange as the FA never gave financial or any other help in improving the game before this which should have included growing the coaching base. At around 4k a pop it's not a cheap course and now they expect everyone to be fully qualified!

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »
For premier league managers it is the Pro-Licence they need to have fergie didnt get his but was given honerary dispensation having managed at that level for so long.

Plenty of clubs in the WSL do it, Vic Akers doesn't have it hence his position now. Look at okther teams as well and you will see people in charge who are just happy to do the media etc.

Applies to WSL1/2, which is strange as the FA never gave financial or any other help in improving the game before this which should have included growing the coaching base. At around 4k a pop it's not a cheap course and now they expect everyone to be fully qualified!

Vic's retirement from managing Arsenal Ladies was not related to any lack of coaching qualifications. He retired over two years before the WSL league started and handed control to a certain Tony Gervaise. It was a while ago but I thought Vic was having to go into hospital and that is why he decided to hand over control of first team matters to Tony and than Laura took over during the following season.

Some useful info about the UEFA pro licence on the following links: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6189330.stm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Pro_Licence
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

49yardtapin

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 07:01:17 AM »
and why did Tony leave?  ;)

Sylvain

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 07:24:42 AM »
Disagreement over signing a Brazilian player is the rumour going round...

49yardtapin

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 01:53:33 PM »
I suppose the major gripe I have is, where is the funding to help the coaches in the female elite game. If you are at a male academy/COE then there is a funding bursery given by the FA to pay for your courses. In the female game there is nothing. They want to bring the game on but give the coaches working within it nothing to help them. However if you are in say a minority group or female you may get finiancial support but say. a white male aged 20-45 there is no help for you. Equality indeed!

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »
..back on Sunderland. I heard that they had an A licence coach, but was advised he/she was not required going forward to the WSL season. Not sure where they have gone, but I would imagine would pick up work due to the qualification.

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 04:20:43 PM »
I suppose the major gripe I have is, where is the funding to help the coaches in the female elite game. If you are at a male academy/COE then there is a funding bursery given by the FA to pay for your courses. In the female game there is nothing. They want to bring the game on but give the coaches working within it nothing to help them. However if you are in say a minority group or female you may get finiancial support but say. a white male aged 20-45 there is no help for you. Equality indeed!
And that is one of my major gripes about the FAs attitude to the 2 applications for WSL from Blackburn.  Rovers fund ALL their coaches training from level one right up to the A licence. Yet the FA wont even let them be a part of the application process let alone have the chance to turn them down.  A club that is fully supportive of the womens section is effectively punished by the FA for being too closely linked!!  You couldnt make it up.

Offline footypops

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »
I'm told that Sunderland will be playing a friendly this Sunday against a US touring side. Does anyone know if its a) true, and  b) what the liklely lineup will be?
Would they play a strong side or try some of the younger ones?
Anyway wouldnt mind going to watch if anyone has any details

Sylvain

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 01:54:01 PM »
You should try tweeting them or any of the players. They are the best source for news on games etc...

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »